Thoughts on new to me vintage IWC
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By DaBaeker

Thread: Thoughts on new to me vintage IWC

Thoughts on new to me vintage IWC

I've been considering a vintage gold IWC for a dressier watch and finally did the deed this weekend. The seller is a long time vintage watch dealer, but it had no paperwork with it so I'm doing a little research to determine exactly what I've got. I confirmed for myself the movement is stamped Cal 85, which I believe means it's the first iteration of the Pellaton automatic movement by IWC. The serial #, 124..., dates it to 1951. The movement is also stamped 21 jewel and Pat Appl. The case back is stamped 18k with a serial # 126..., which seems to correlate with the time period for the movement. The only concerning items to me are the dial doesn't say "Swiss", the lack of pin holes on the outside of the lugs (most pics of similar IWC vintage watches seem to have pin holes), and the lack of a legible 18k stamp on the case itself (there is a stamp on one of the lugs but it's not legible). The dial could be refinished as it seems to be in very good shape, though not perfect and the hands have a slight bit of discoloration.

Pics are below. I'm curious if any IWC experts or aficionados have any thoughts on the watch. Thanks for any insight you can provide.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Re: Thoughts on new to me vintage IWC

thoughts are: its beautiful. good luck
    Bodyblue likes this.
    :ROLEX OMEGA LONGiNES ♦ SEIKO Aquadive ♦ ELGIN ♦ hamilton O&W imexZodiac......

Looks original, and very nice. The cal. 85x movements are among the best ever made, and the first iteration is not common. That dial variation is consistent with th early/mid '50s IWCs, as well.

Congratulations on a nice acquisition.

Regards,

Tony C.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Thanks guys. I was a little surprised when I determined it was from the initial production of the cal. 85 movements. I'm really enjoying it.

There is a clear 18K hallmark on the inside of the case. That's exactly where is should be. Most of the better Swiss makes did it this way.

Not sure if the crown is original. You'd need to find an original catalog photo of the watch. Not a big deal, IMO.

I can't tell much about the dial from the photograph.. The fonts look correct at a distance and it is very difficult to reproduce the minutes track on these.

I would suggest that you post your questions on the IWC factory sponsored forum. That's where the real experts are:

Vintage timepieces | Forum | IWC Schaffhausen

Hope this helps,
    gatorcpa

Thanks, I posted it over there at the same time and have gotten some very encouraging insight.

Thread Information