Thoughts on VC K1001, K1003, AP 2003 thin movements?

Thread: Thoughts on VC K1001, K1003, AP 2003 thin movements?

Thoughts on VC K1001, K1003, AP 2003 thin movements?

I've been looking for an "affordable" trinity watch, being AP, VC, and PP.
    I've come across a few 1001 1003 and 2003 watches. They were billed as thinnest movements in the world during their time
    and can still be seen as competitive in this category. Not many mechanical movements are thinner.

I've read things that give these movements something of a legendary status. However, I don't know much about
    how reliable/good these movements can be. I like the 1001 because you can get it in a second subdial flavor. However the others are thinner and more modern.

I'd like to know what folks think about these movements. Are they worth owning. Are they a headache? In case of failure, would they be crazy expensive to fix? Do they do a decent job of keeping time? Can I adjust the time regularly without damaging the movement?

Mike

Re: Thoughts on VC K1001, K1003, AP 2003 thin movements?

Also check out Piaget.

Quote Originally Posted by Watchbreath View Post
    Also check out Piaget.
    Yes, I've heard of this movement, the Piaget 9P. I've also ready that this particular movement had some problems with earlier examples. Don't remember which, but certain parts were prone to warp due to their thinness.

That's what actually prompted me to make this post. Wonder if any such issues exists with these movements.

Mike

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

They are excellent movements, and the AP and V&C are quite similar as they were both based on the same JLC ebauche.

One (very subjective) word of caution, though: Much as I admire the engineering and finish of such movements, I find vintage ultra-thin watches to be a bit too insubstantial on the wrist. Bear in mind that I happen to have rather small wrists, so my reaction is not a function of the watches' relative size; I simply prefer to feel a substantial watch head on my wrist, even if I do prefer vintage sizes (i.e. 34-36mm).

Thread Information