Thoughts on this vintage Girard-Perregaux?
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Thoughts on this vintage Girard-Perregaux?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thoughts on this vintage Girard-Perregaux?

Hi guys,

What do you guys think? There's an even patina across the dial, and the font seems OK to me. Dial looks original as far as I can tell. Any thoughts on the movement? Crystal is aftermarket, as well as the strap.

I'm finding it hard to find any information at all on vintage GP watches unfortunately...

Thanks in advance,
    -J.

Name:  GP 1.JPG
Views: 174
Size:  232.6 KBName:  GP 2.JPG
Views: 165
Size:  218.6 KBName:  GP 10.JPG
Views: 171
Size:  56.5 KBName:  GP 4.JPG
Views: 172
Size:  207.7 KBName:  GP 6.JPG
Views: 173
Size:  271.9 KBName:  GP 8.JPG
Views: 165
Size:  371.9 KBName:  GP 7.JPG
Views: 175
Size:  313.9 KBName:  GP 11.JPG
Views: 169
Size:  57.2 KB

Re: Thoughts on this vintage Girard-Perregaux?

Forgot the case back as well...
    Name:  GP 9.JPG
Views: 171
Size:  306.7 KB

Really in sad shape and I can't see 'Swiss' anywhere on the dial.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

The photos of the dial are either very poor, or badly distorted by scratches in the crystal, so I'm having a really hard time judging the dial. In some photos, the printing looks very uneven ("INCABLOC" especially), but I hate to rush to judgement based on those out-of-focus photos. One thing for sure, the case is very rough, and very badly over-polished. For me, that alone would be the end of the story. Also, it's strange to see so much damage to the metal in the movement. I'm used to seeing a few scratches here and there, but that movement looks like a used car dealer's lot after a hailstorm. I just have a really bad feeling about this watch overall.
    -- Dan (formerly known as @badbackdan)
    ------- @oldwatchdan on Instagram -------

This picture might be a bit better. You've got the Swiss Made

I agree, movement picture looked scratched. I'm wondering whether it's just the picture quality though. What makes you say the case is overpolished?

Name:  GP 14.JPG
Views: 160
Size:  151.3 KB

All of the sharp edges and lines (chamfers, bevels, etc) that were originally present on the case, bezel, and lugs are completely gone. Aggressive polishing using a buffing wheel has smoothed and rounded them into oblivion. This is a major factor in valuation of vintage watches. The dial looks much better in the latest photo.
    mkws likes this.

GP was hardly ever boasting (by means of an inscription on the dial) about the watch having the Incabloc device. Nevertheless, looks like they did that, as I've found some specimens on the Internets, which seem to have that inscription in combination with a genuine dial (most of the GPs that we see here are ghastly redials).

The finishing around the applied markers has me worried - looks almost as if they were sinking in the paint. Then again, the dial has patina, the font is correct, and the minute track is well-aligned. Old redials rarely get that accurate. Could be residue/dirt around the markers + poor lighting in the picture, that create that effect. Or they could be embossed, not applied.

As Dan said, the case is heavily overpolished, with all the edges sent to Fiddler's Green by whoever "restored" the case.
    I have great faith in fools; self-confidence my friends call it.
    Edgar Allan Poe

If liberty means anything at all, it means the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.
    George Orwell

Villains who twirl their moustaches are easy to spot. Those who clothe themselves in good deeds are well-camouflaged.
    Capt. Jean-Luc Picard (Star Trek: The Next Generation)

For any inquiries regarding vintage Doxa watches, please read the highlighted text in my vintage Doxa thread. Sorry, but I will not respond to PMs on the matter.

And in general, overpolishing is very bad for valuation? I'm really just buying it to wear it and enjoy it. I know it's gold filled too, so I generally wasn't buying it to eventually sell it again. I was reading it's usually not as bad if a dress watch is overpolished vs a diver or sports watch, is this true?

Nobody would buy this watch with the idea of ever re-selling it. To be completely candid, because of its condition, it will never have any value. I believe that the gold plating has been completely polished off the side of one of the lugs and the side of the bezel. It's really a mess. Overpolishing is a major negative for any vintage watch - dress, diver, sports, etc.

It's common for newcomers to jump in too quickly and waste money on watches they ultimately wish they hadn't purchased. I have done this myself. I would urge you to spend a bit more time looking at vintage watches before wasting any money at all on this watch. Not only will you be disappointed with the aesthetics, most likely it will not run well, and then you will have to decide whether to waste even more money on repair and servicing. As you look at more watches, you will understand why people who appreciate vintage watches avoid examples like this one, your eye will become more sophisticated, and you will make a better investment.
    laikrodukas likes this.

There are a very large number of vintage Girard-Perregaux circulating in the market at any given time, and, for that reason, it makes little sense to settle for a poor quality example. Even at a low prove-point, one can do much, much better than this example.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information