Thoughts on this ww1 'military' zenith watch by Locle & Geneve Suisse?
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Thoughts on this ww1 'military' zenith watch by Locle & Geneve Suisse?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thoughts on this ww1 'military' zenith watch by Locle & Geneve Suisse?

Hi Chaps,

Saw this today and asked the seller a few questions....

LARGE SOLID SILVER ZENITH WW1 GERMAN MILITARY ARMY PILOT WRIST POCKET WATCH | eBay

after a brief discussion on where this seller has got his information - i.e. his beliefs! I was basically told to Ef off....

would be interested to see what some of you think?

I would like to point out, I have only just noticed this 'buy it now', I had seen the auction for the watch that the seller is also running..... which is at £2..... then was horrified to see it also for sale at £3000.
    A designer knows he has achieved perfection not when there is nothing left to add, but when there is nothing left to take away...

Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Twitter: quickpicmarc

Re: Thoughts on this ww1 'military' zenith watch by Locle & Geneve Suisse?

I'd pay £2 for it like a shot.

Well, its pretty disgraceful if he's a proper antique dealer like he purports to be - and possibly illegal. But who'd take it up with him? Certainly not ebay who let sellers post 'gold' watches all the time (its a criminal offence in the UK to describe something as gold unless its properly hallmarked). Let's just hope it doesn't turn up in here as someone's wonderful new purchase.
    Everybody is ignorant, only on different subjects."

Will Rogers (1879 - 1935)

Please don't PM me to ask for a valuation - I won't attempt one.

Obviously, the movement isn't native to case (and doesn't fit very well either) and the dial is a pastey (you can see where the dial feet aren't visible in the movement picture). The soldering job on the lugs is amateurish; the lugs aren't even, and you can see solder lumps. The dial wasn't very well painted either; the black/white isn't even. But at least they weren't stupid enough to make the black/white go from 12-6.
    Last edited by AbslomRob; May 28th, 2012 at 16:46.
    My growing collection of "affordable" vintages: http://www.abslomrob.com

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Marrick View Post
    Let's just hope it doesn't turn up in here as someone's wonderful new purchase.
    Thats part of the reason for posting the thread....

Its pointless complaining to Ebay... but hopefully this thread will appear in peoples search before bidding - if they do research!

When presented with the facts (quite bluntly...), 2 interesting sentences I got back from the seller:

" I was under the impression alot of officers choosen there design ie case movement dial'

"
    ive cheaked the dial its not a repro if this is a repro can i you show me another"

First I thought the seller had just got his facts wrong..... but I think he knows full well what he is selling... its a shame and I hope we dont see it on here!
    A designer knows he has achieved perfection not when there is nothing left to add, but when there is nothing left to take away...

Antoine de Saint-Exupery

does anyone ever pay £2,999.99 or near that for this kind of garbage or is it just there to give an inflated sense of value to the sellers junk?

Quote Originally Posted by Kungfucowboy View Post
    does anyone ever pay £2,999.99 or near that for this kind of garbage or is it just there to give an inflated sense of value to the sellers junk?
    My concern is, as the seller has this listing as a 'Buy it Now' AND is also running an auction for the same watch, someone will see both and think WOW, I could win this for £1000 on the auction.... a third of what its worth!

LARGE SOLID SILVER ZENITH WW1 GERMAN MILITARY ARMY PILOT WRIST POCKET WATCH | eBay

I realise this is not really my concern, as I would not even give the seller £2!

Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Huh...my response from him:
    "Hi i dont know any history for the watch i havnt done anything to it apart from take the photos and list it.
    Kind regards stanley."
    My growing collection of "affordable" vintages: http://www.abslomrob.com

Quote Originally Posted by AbslomRob View Post
    Huh...my response from him:
    "Hi i dont know any history for the watch i havnt done anything to it apart from take the photos and list it.
    Kind regards stanley."
    Which is not really the same as:

Hi I was under the impression alot of officers choosen there design ie case movement dial, the movement is german, swiss case with german import marks. Serial number on zenith movement dont always match there cases all the time someone must of went to a lot of effort to place a metal insert then a gold insert to place a german movement inside then a non-magnetic dial which was made in the same place as the case was made and then its not worth any money make

Antoine de Saint-Exupery

The other unfortunate thing about this horror is that it makes "Mumbai" specials look good. It would be £20 over the odds if it were 3000 Nepalese Rupees in my humble opinion! I just hope that some gullible person with cash to burn isn't conned by this.
    John
    Watch Website: www.chambresdebelair.com/watches.html last update 07/11/2012

I think this seller possibly has a Yookrainyin cousin.
    Sparcster likes this.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information