Three Pocket Watches Need ID'd (Elgin, Hamilton, & ???)

Thread: Three Pocket Watches Need ID'd (Elgin, Hamilton, & ???)

Three Pocket Watches Need ID'd (Elgin, Hamilton, & ???)

Name:  pocket watches.jpg
Views: 430
Size:  674.9 KB

Hey Everyone,

My brothers and I inherited these from my grandfather when he passed about 20 years ago. They have been sitting in my grandmother's safety deposit box ever since. My brother's got the two on the left, and I got the Hamilton. I haven't seen them in person since i was a little kid so I do not no serial numbers for reference, but can anyone identify what models each of these are, as well as what type and model the middle one is? Also, which of these are the most valuable?

Thanks for the help!
    Last edited by jeffmiller887; December 28th, 2012 at 05:43.

Vintage & NAWCC Forum moderator Ben_hutcherson's Avatar

Re: Three Pocket Watches Need ID'd (Elgin, Hamilton, & ???)

It's hard to say a whole, whole lot without seeing the back off any of them.

With that said, if I were a betting man, I'd bet money on the Hamilton being a grade 956. That particular dial is the one seen on the 956 probably 75% of the time, and as far as I know not usually seen on any other grade(unless of course they were switches somewhere along the way) The 956 is a 17j watch adjusted to temperature. It's essentially the equivalent of the common and popular gr. 974, but the 956 was always(or at least 99.9% of the time) sold in a factory signed Hamilton case. The usual case for a 956 is a 20 or 25 year gold filled swing-ring type case, which will open up and split in half by the hinge at 6:00, and the movement will swing out out on a ring by a hinge at 3:00.

The Elgin looks like a 6-size from your picture, and is probably 7-15 jewels. This was more of a ladies' size watch.

The center watch is more than likely a 7-15 jewel generic Swiss movement. It's hard to say much else without seeing the movement.

I don't think that any of them are gold, as from your picture they all look to have the sort of "frosted" look that gold filled cases seem to develop when not polished or handled for a while. If any of them are in karat gold cases, that particular one will easily be the most valuable of the lot. Assuming all are filled, the Hamilton is likely the best of the bunch.
    Member National Association of Watch and Clock Collectors
    Member, NAWCC Chapter 149. Vice President and Secretary NAWCC Chapter 140. Member, NAWCC Convention Committee.
    Serious collector of American pocket watches-Waltham(and the predecessor companies) is my specialty.

Thank you very much Ben! Next time I get an opportunity to see them, I'll definitely take pictures of the movement, fronts, backs, etc.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Based on some watches I have seen online. The center watch looks to be an Illinois Autocrat 17 Jewel.

Thread Information