thrift store find
Like Tree12Likes
  • 6 Post By sherwoodschwartz
  • 3 Post By Roland Ranfft
  • 3 Post By Roland Ranfft

Thread: thrift store find

thrift store find

not much to really hoot about, but cool none-the-less and only put me back $1.

surprising watch. surprising in its accuracy- hasn't lost a minute yet and i've been wearing it a week. surprising in its heft- nice and solid. surprising in its resiliency- the guy who fished it out of the bowl dropped it a good three feet onto ground before he handed it to me. well, i guess that last part might not be too surprising. although i haven't opened it, other examples i've found on teh web indicate a baumgartner 1582 with a pin pallet. pin pallets are known to be a little less prone to damage from shocks, or so decades of timex advertising would have me believe. anyhoo, i'll take that for a dollar.
    jsj11, trim, JP71624 and 3 others like this.

Re: thrift store find

Hi there,

where else the hell do you get a jewel for 4 Cent? Coool!
    Quote Originally Posted by sherwoodschwartz View Post
    the guy who fished it out of the bowl dropped it a good three feet onto ground before he handed it to me.
    The guy knew his stuff well: This is necessary to start an old Baumgartner, which sees the first daylight after decades in a box.

Regards, Roland Ranfft
    redcow, spoink and twiceaday like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Roland Ranfft View Post
    Hi there,

where else the hell do you get a jewel for 4 Cent? Coool!

The guy knew his stuff well: This is necessary to start an old Baumgartner, which sees the first daylight after decades in a box.

Regards, Roland Ranfft
    ha! for every ferrari, one must drive a yugo, if not to remind one how nice the ferrari is.

DISCLAIMER- for those devotees of the pin pallet, i mean you no offense. the watch is delightful and these types of watches have an important place in the history of horology. not many collectors remember that, before the quartz crisis, there was a pin pallet crisis created by timex.

that said, it won't be kicking any of my beautiful eternas to the curb anytime soon.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Hi there,

Quote Originally Posted by sherwoodschwartz View Post
    ....and these types of watches have an important place in the history of horology.
    Maybe some collectors laugh about these watches. But simply imagine how many people had to organize their day with a pin lever, while for most Patek Philippe wearers time was no issue. And with the ability to get pin levers in high quantities running you can realize a top grade tourbillon, but not vice versa. For me no doubt though, which kind of watch contributed more to watch technology and history.

Or another point of view: 100 years ago a new IWC bought you 100 new Dollar watches. Today you can trade a mint IWC for just two mint Dollar watches. Watches are lousy investments, but no question which kind is lousier.

I enjoy to look at a perfectliy finished high grade watch, but my higher respect belongs to the cheapies.

Maybe, this all reads exaggerated. But this is what e.g. Thiel or Ebauche Bettlach earned their living with:

And this is what they were able to do:

Regards, Roland Ranfft

Congrats on the find, a pretty good looking sports watch.

Quote Originally Posted by Roland Ranfft View Post
    Hi there,

Maybe some collectors laugh about these watches. But simply imagine how many people had to organize their day with a pin lever, while for most Patek Philippe wearers time was no issue. And with the ability to get pin levers in high quantities running you can realize a top grade tourbillon, but not vice versa. For me no doubt though, which kind of watch contributed more to watch technology and history.

Or another point of view: 100 years ago a new IWC bought you 100 new Dollar watches. Today you can trade a mint IWC for just two mint Dollar watches. Watches are lousy investments, but no question which kind is lousier.

I enjoy to look at a perfectliy finished high grade watch, but my higher respect belongs to the cheapies.

Maybe, this all reads exaggerated. But this is what e.g. Thiel or Ebauche Bettlach earned their living with:

And this is what they were able to do:

Regards, Roland Ranfft

well said Roland.

Buler....Buler...Buler...

(Someone had to make this joke, might as well be me)

Thread Information