The Thrill and Anguish of Delivery Anticipation
Like Tree32Likes

Thread: The Thrill and Anguish of Delivery Anticipation

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

The Thrill and Anguish of Delivery Anticipation

The oh so familiar wait we all have when we have a watch on the way. I am working but, like most, you drift back to "Is the watch at the house yet?". I track every package that goes but you get that feel at times of "Why is it still at XYZ USPS distribution center?' come on guys its just one package, get it moving! You watch then it gets to the local post office. Sometimes the tracking is completely bad and it goes from a center 100 miles away to delivery and then all the other scans appear.

But we all have that thrill of a new purchase but then the wait is so killer. For me today there is the added fact that I know they are here waiting. My wife is working from home today and sent me a message asking if the 2 packages were mine or Christmas presents. Well I know they are sitting there now and I have 8 hours to go....AAAAAHHHHH!

But that is part of the fun of collecting. The ups and downs in all aspects. You bought based on words and pictures but the actual reality could be different. You can study every picture and unless they are like my usual where every flaw can be seen, you are not getting all of the image.

The 2 waiting for me are a very slim Juvenia with a 604 movement and a Sears Alarm that I know what is in it despite never seeing a movement pic. I know....risk. But at least the seller said that the crown was loose on the alarm part otherwise it works great. We will see if that is true though. That "Loose crown" could be a bad stem. Maybe the mainspring for the alarm is broken so the constant spin is something else. I never pay a fortune for a watch so as to limit my exposure to the loss. But then I don't give up too easy....if it can be fixed it will be fixed.

For those of us that love to have pics of watches....I will post them once I have them in hand. I could use the seller pics but I like the raw pics with no intent on hiding any flaws. Shoot....I need a watch band for the Sears as the band on it is junk....oh wait the Juvenia has a junk band too.... such is the random thoughts of the watch collector\obsessed. Need lug widths and leather or metal.......hmmmmmm
    badbackdan, busmatt and pb9610 like this.
    https://www.ThePassthrough.com

Re: The Thrill and Anguish of Delivery Anticipation

This is why I get stuffed delivered to the office :D

Actually, I'm waiting on a DHL international delivery myself. They tried to deliver it to my office yesterday... at 9.50 p.m. *sigh* -- so the whole "send it to the office where it's safe and someone will definitely sign for it" plan backfired majestically.

Don't worry -- the next 8 hours will just fly by!
    thoth, busmatt and pb9610 like this.
    I'm on Instagram if you want to see more: wigglywigglyworm

They will fly by if I can figure out the lug width then do some band shopping.

Got to remember some do Saturday delivery as well...not that going up to the office would be unusual for me as I do that sometimes if I need to ship out one of the ones I have up at work.

What do you have on the way?
    busmatt and pb9610 like this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

My delivery won't be until tomorrow, but I feel your pain.
    Attached Images Attached Images

thoth and busmatt like this.
    -- Dan (formerly known as @badbackdan)
    ------- @oldwatchdan on Instagram -------

I too am awaiting a delivery, from the USA this time, itís been sent but I still have quite a wait ahead but when youíre after a vintage American Army issued watch, most of them, are, funnily enough, in the USA.

I know itís supposed to be working and has a cracked crystal but itís one Iíve been after for a while and a crystal should be not too hard to replace (famous last words)

Matt

Brought to you by HYPNOTOAD
    badbackdan, thoth and pb9610 like this.
    " I can't wear this uniform, without some compromises "
    Chesney Hawkes

"I larf, I Larf, I wee I pants, I make I leg go rusty."
    ​Me

And then to make the anticipation even worse, I'm picking up two other watches from my watchmaker on Friday. I purchased these a couple of months ago, but this was his first opportunity to service them. So this will be my fist chance to wear them.
    thoth and busmatt like this.
    -- Dan (formerly known as @badbackdan)
    ------- @oldwatchdan on Instagram -------

One watchmaker I have (Father-in-law) has one of my watches....I think going on 3 years now. The anticipation died long ago. He is family and I know he is always 25 or so deep in repairs for clocks from paying owners so I have no worry. I do make sure his Dr visits are going well. Mainly because he is a good guy but also I don't want to try and sort out his clock room where he does his work if he has another heart attack. The watch needs a part to be made as parts for the particular watch is near impossible to find.

It is an Appleton Watch Co (1901-1903) 18s pocket watch. Not the Appleton & Tracy Waltham variety but the Appleton Wisconsin variety. I let him barrow the Cheshire Watch 18s I had to see if he could use that for the part pattern as the Cheshire as the movements were the same because that is where the Appleton Watch Co got all of the equipment. Oh wait....he has had that one for a year now too. As I said....no anticipation here lol
    pb9610 and busmatt like this.

So busmatt, was that the Elgin? I too have been looking for one at a fairly reasonable price(yeah, I know, HA-HA-HA-HA).

Zenith Forum Co-moderator

That reminds me somewhat of the "Calvin and the Beanie" story (Bill Watterson).....!! Hartmut Richter
    thoth likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Hartmut Richter View Post
    That reminds me somewhat of the "Calvin and the Beanie" story (Bill Watterson).....!! Hartmut Richter

This one?

Calvin and Hobbes by Bill Watterson for Apr 19, 2010 | Read Comic Strips at GoComics.com

very true!
    badbackdan and busmatt like this.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information