In Thuds We Trust: Glycine Airman SST R724
Like Tree28Likes

Thread: In Thuds We Trust: Glycine Airman SST R724

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Somebody is very happy this festive season and wants to share his joy:)

Since I am into this collecting hobby, there was THE ONE which I always had desired, but had weak hopes to find.City legend was saying that they were produced 1968-69 only 100 pieces but just 20 of them were sold ( wondering the rest? read further ).

The SST ( Super Sonic Transportation ), was a project starting from early 60's to produce a passenger jet which can travel above 1 Mach. In CONUS, Boeing won the project and the 2707 was accepted by the committee to be manufactured.

Name:  Boeing 2707.jpg
Views: 811
Size:  55.2 KB

Ups and downs, funding concerns delayed the project until 1971 when it was cancelled and the race in SST was lost to European counterparts' Airbus, Concorde. During 2 presidency in the US, this project came to the protoype production and test flight however serial production needed further funding, which was rejected by the Senate.

Name:  Concorde.jpg
Views: 715
Size:  39.5 KB

During this 10 + years process, multiple products were already being introduced to the consumers with SST logos. One of the companies doing this, was Glycine. The Glycine Airman, since 1953 was already very well known and used widely by the USAF pilots. In 1968 Glycine started their SST line. Chronographs, divers and pilots' watches were introduced to the market with the SST caseback markings.

Name:  caseback.JPG
Views: 1001
Size:  70.4 KB

Name:  innercase back.JPG
Views: 699
Size:  60.0 KB

Enough Story! Here is the watch. Thank you Thudguy,a fellow WUS member, who made this transaction happen. He was flying the F105 Thunderchief back in the 60's and the legacy of Glycine Airman was on the wrists of these Airmen with the motto: In Thuds We Trust.

Name:  F-105_Thunderchiefs_Mt_Fuji (Small).jpg
Views: 766
Size:  43.9 KB

The Glycine Airman SST Chronograph, my collection's holly grail.Casing the Valjoux 724 and produced in September 1969.

The watch has just been serviced by Craig - Chronodeco before joining my collection. I can just recommend him further with the fantastic job he is doing. Thanks Craig! Hats off...

The very good thing is, Thudguy had also the Glycine GMT chronograph ! The story becomes even more juicy... So I didn't miss this opportunity and bought the same era chronographs. Here they are:

Name:  DSC01311 (Medium).JPG
Views: 688
Size:  61.2 KB

Name:  DSC01312 (Medium).JPG
Views: 673
Size:  38.4 KBName:  DSC01275 (Medium).JPG
Views: 669
Size:  46.8 KB

Name:  caseback.JPG
Views: 1001
Size:  70.4 KB

Name:  DSC01281 (Medium).JPG
Views: 671
Size:  77.7 KB

Name:  DSC01308 (Medium).JPG
Views: 1057
Size:  112.8 KB

Name:  DSC01299 (Medium).JPG
Views: 662
Size:  83.2 KB

Name:  DSC01288 (Large).JPG
Views: 928
Size:  126.7 KB

The Airman SST Chrono and the Glycine GMT Chrono.

Still wondering what happened to the not - sold 80 pieces?

They were given as a present to the Concorde Pilots :) Such a twist, produced for Boeing end up in Concorde...
    Last edited by Emre; December 13th, 2013 at 09:52.

Re: In Thuds We Trust: Glycine Airman SST R724

I'll bet you're the only guy on the planet that owns that pair of watches. Really fantastic. I'm glad you're home now and are enjoying them. Merry Christmas!
    Emre likes this.
    "Try SCE to AUX"

Dennis Smith

24 Hour Forum Moderator

2010 AirNautic Early Bird (#1&#50)

Rolex GMT Master II Pepsi
    Custom-dialed Ginault Ocean Rover
    Glycine Airman
    Zodiac White Wolf

In my search for GMT/24h dial watches I have never even run across these two. Amazingly beautiful!

**Green-eyed monster rears its ugly head**
    Emre likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Hi Emre
    I put one on permanent display at NAWCC Musuem.
    Its in the 2000 to Present area
    A
    NEVER ARGUE WITH AN IDIOT. FIRST THEY WILL DRAG YOU DOWN TO THEIR LEVEL. THEN, THEY WILL BEAT YOU WITH EXPERIENCE.

"Failure is not an option" - Gene Kranz
    "Owning a vintage watch is great, understanding where it sits in Horology is magnificent"
    and
    "By Teaching Others, We Teach Ourselves"
    Adam

Dennis, yes back home finally and enjoying quality time with family.Thank you for the compliments.
    M.Stanton, there aren't many around from these timepieces, and even when there is, not everybody is on these boards to share. I am into this brand since 4 years and still some models are sufacing which I never saw before.
    Adam, what do you mean after 2000? Do you have the recent ETA 775x tribute to these waches in display?I saw one from 70's the non-chrono SST version in your display photos...

Quote Originally Posted by Emre View Post
    Adam, what do you mean after 2000? Do you have the recent ETA 775x tribute to these waches in display?I saw one from 70's the non-chrono SST version in your display photos...
    Hi
    Originally, the watch was in the 50s display (Complication arrive)
    I moved it to the ptesent display before I left, it now sits near the Omega Seamaster.
    If I have a picture on this PC, I will post it.
    Fact is its on display in 2000 to Present. It is tagged (description and cataloged) with correct date
    A
    Last edited by HOROLOGIST007; December 14th, 2013 at 10:17.
    NEVER ARGUE WITH AN IDIOT. FIRST THEY WILL DRAG YOU DOWN TO THEIR LEVEL. THEN, THEY WILL BEAT YOU WITH EXPERIENCE.

"Owning a vintage watch is great, understanding where it sits in Horology is magnificent"
    and
    Adam

wonderful pieces, Emre; congrats !
    Emre likes this.

Thanks for the story of your watches, Emre - fascinating!
    Just one grating note, calling it the Airbus Concorde as opposed to BAC/Aerospatiale as it was when manufactured.
    I feel so proud Concorde was built in my home city, Bristol. My mum's abiding memory of her pregnancy with me was the sound of Olympus engine testing at Rolls Royce at Patchway
    Filton pictures:
    First flight 1969

Last landing 2003

Recently, Bo 105 air ambo gets airborne with Concorde on the other side of the field
    Emre likes this.
    DO NOT put sales verbiage in your signature.

Quote Originally Posted by HOROLOGIST007 View Post
    Hi
    Originally, the watch was in the 50s display (Complication arrive)
    I moved it to the ptesent display before I left, it now sits near the Omega Seamaster.
    If I have a picture on this PC, I will post it.
    Fact is its on display in 2000 to Present. It is tagged (description and cataloged) with correct date
    A
    I think I remember that post from your blog where you were updating us about the display ( https://forums.watchuseek.com/f11/naw...-911622-3.html ) . This below was the photo, while the Glycine Airman SST was in the 50's, I mentioned to you that it's late 60's and 70's watch, so you can display it in the correct era.

It is an Airman SST, but not the chronograph version. It should have the A.Schild Caliber, maybe mechanism hacking or Glycine hack pin,not sure depends on the manufacture dates, if you say it has been dated to the 2000's than there is no hack pin, only movement hack. They have been re-produced in the 2000's by Glycine again to pay tribute to the originals from 1968/69.We are talking about different Airman ;)

OhDark30, thank you for the correction nice memories associated.

Fred, thanks to you I met Craig and now he is my man in all these chronos:)cheers
    Last edited by Emre; December 14th, 2013 at 14:21.
    OhDark30 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Emre View Post
    I think I remember that post from your blog where you were updating us about the display ( https://forums.watchuseek.com/f11/naw...-911622-3.html ) . This below was the photo, while the Glycine Airman SST was in the 50's, I mentioned to you that it's late 60's and 70's watch, so you can display it in the correct era.
    Yes, I remembered your comment and moved it to the present.
    Here it is in its final resting place:

So you have two Glycines on display.
    Sincerely
    adam
    Emre likes this.

and
    Adam

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information