Tiffany & Co. wristwatch - Page 2

Thread: Tiffany & Co. wristwatch

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Re: Tiffany & Co. wristwatch

Quote Originally Posted by Paleotime View Post
    Oh...That really sucks. At least it is round and should be easy to source. Hopefully the shock didn't do anything else.

I got a firm talking to from the watchmaker who services my nicer watches when I whent to pick up a very nice 1930 Bulova he poised, cleaned and adjusted for me. I started to put it on my wrist over his tile floor...and he said (quickly and seriously) bring that over the counter and when you put it on at home do it over the bed!
    Great idea! I had two in my hand to take downstairs to the safe--the Tiffany and a relatively worthless one...and guess which one I dropped! I'm just thankful it IS still ticking and keeping time. Thanks, Paleotime!

Quote Originally Posted by trim View Post
    This is very good advice. I wonder how many of us do it? I tend to put my on in the wardrobe, so usually not me (unless I remember about 1 in 10 times).
    THANKS, TRIM--I will be more careful next time. What really burns me is I wasn't even trying to put it on--we were leaving home, and I was hurrying to put it in the safe when I dropped it! Think I'll put pillows down all around until I get less clumsy!

Quote Originally Posted by Paleotime View Post
    Great advice. I follow it now for the most part. My watch drawer is adjacent to the bed so it is easy for me. Also, since my interest/collection tends toward the pre-1945 timeframe almost nothing I wear has incabloc or similar shock protection. So doubly important not to bounce one.
    Hopefully, I've learned my lesson! They're going in a cushioned box before I head downstairs to the safe again!

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

I'll wager it's a Movado movement.

Quote Originally Posted by piscator View Post
    I'll wager it's a Movado movement.
    O.K--Thanks so much for your info.!

Pardon me but I am resurrecting this thread...lol. I have a Tiffany & Co. 14k watch with a similar case. Mine is a presentation watch dated April 1973. It is a day/date model and also has GP on the crown. I was told that it indeed is Girard-Perregaux. The movement inside the watch is a 17 Jewel automatic (T17-457)....marked Tiffany & Co. The inside of the 14k case is marked Tiffany & Co T-120. It is a "front loader". I am sending it to my jeweler for crystal replacement as it has many scratches.

What did you find out about yours when you took it in for repair?

Here are a few pics of mine.....

Name:  _DSC0029.JPG
Views: 192
Size:  343.2 KBName:  _DSC0014 (2).JPG
Views: 176
Size:  140.5 KBName:  _DSC0002 (2).JPG
Views: 184
Size:  183.2 KBName:  _DSC0128.JPG
Views: 181
Size:  178.4 KBName:  _DSC0022.JPG
Views: 178
Size:  143.4 KB

Last edited by TankstaGangsta; January 4th, 2013 at 07:39.

Zenith Forum Co-moderator

Now that is another watch in whose case I am somewhat suspicious about the authenticity. For a start, I am fairly sure that the "GP" crown has no business being there - if it had been assembled by GP for Tiffany, one would expect to see a GP marked movement inside as well. The movement is the Fontainemelon (FHF) calibre 90-9:

bidfun-db Archiv: Uhrwerke: FHF 90-9

...a movement of decent quality but really nothing special and I have no record of GP ever having used it (for themselves or anyone else). The case is supposed to be 14K gold but the scratching on the bezel suggests that it is plated and starting to wear off (unless that's a trick of the light - or is it 14K gold plated?!). Lastly, the dial looks almost too clean considering the indices look as if they have slight scratching. As for whether the font, size, etc. of "Tiffany & Co" is genuine, I'll have to pass.

Hartmut Richter

yeah, i wouldn't read too much into the GP crown. it's possible, i suppose, that GP furnished the movement to tiffany. of course since it's a front loader, it has a split stem, and split stems are notorious for...splitting, and the crown becoming lost. lots of split-stem watches out there with replacement crowns.

I have an Omega with Tiffany on the dial but the movement just says Omega.

Name:  tiffanyomega1.jpg
Views: 198
Size:  132.0 KB

There is an inscription on the back from 1957. I also saw this ad on the Internet:
    Name:  $(KGrHqMOKm4E55zp2Wk+BOi84B4UOQ~~60_3.JPG
Views: 197
Size:  42.3 KB

The watches in the ads don't appear to have the names on the dial. Still I think it is authentic, if not, it is still one of my favorite watches.

Ron

pej

Sure doesn't look like a 14k solid gold case on the pictures.. Looks gold plated base metal.. If it's not 14k gold it's also not a Tiffany.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information