Tiffany & Co. wristwatch

Thread: Tiffany & Co. wristwatch

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Tiffany & Co. wristwatch

Hi,
    I just purchased a 14k Tiffany & Co. wristwatch at auction. I wanted to open it up to see who made it, the number of jewels, etc., but there doesn't seem to be a way to get the back off. Could it be that it opens topside through the crystal or something? Anyway, I'm going to leave this to the watch man. The crown has what appears to be a "GP" on it--did Girard Perregaux make any watches for Tiffany & Co? If so, does anyone know an approximate time frame? Thanks so much from an uneducated collector!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Re: Tiffany & Co. wristwatch

I can't give you much help. I would guess the timeframe of the watch based on style and the center second hand as mid-1950s to mid-1960s. I would think that it is probably a front-loader. I know that Tiffany used a number of different movement suppliers but I don't know if G-P was one of them. If it is a G-P movement I would guess that it is probably the gyromatic. I hope this helps...I would be interested to know what you find out.

Banned

I'm curious to see what's inside. Tiffany's products are one of the most counterfeited line of goods in the world. Many different companies made their watches with no way to establish authenticity without taking it to Tiffany's and paying their fee for the service. To us watch geeks, a GP would be more valuable. To the rest of the world, the name Tiffany's carries a lot more weight.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Could be right about the crystal and caseback. Best to let a watchmaker have a look at it~Congrats!

Quote Originally Posted by Paleotime View Post
    I can't give you much help. I would guess the timeframe of the watch based on style and the center second hand as mid-1950s to mid-1960s. I would think that it is probably a front-loader. I know that Tiffany used a number of different movement suppliers but I don't know if G-P was one of them. If it is a G-P movement I would guess that it is probably the gyromatic. I hope this helps...I would be interested to know what you find out.
    Thanks so much, Paleotime--I'm going to try and get it to my jeweler soon--especially since I dropped it on the floor this morning and broke the *&%^(&# crystal!

Quote Originally Posted by Beau8 View Post
    Could be right about the crystal and caseback. Best to let a watchmaker have a look at it~Congrats!
    Thanks, Beau8--We will soon find out since I dropped the *#$^ thing on the wooden floor this morning and cracked the crystal!

Quote Originally Posted by ulackfocus View Post
    I'm curious to see what's inside. Tiffany's products are one of the most counterfeited line of goods in the world. Many different companies made their watches with no way to establish authenticity without taking it to Tiffany's and paying their fee for the service. To us watch geeks, a GP would be more valuable. To the rest of the world, the name Tiffany's carries a lot more weight.
    Thanks, ulackfocus--I'm curious to see, too--hope I didn't get a complete dud!

I dropped the *#$^ thing on the wooden floor this morning and cracked the crystal!
    Oh...That really sucks. At least it is round and should be easy to source. Hopefully the shock didn't do anything else.

I got a firm talking to from the watchmaker who services my nicer watches when I whent to pick up a very nice 1930 Bulova he poised, cleaned and adjusted for me. I started to put it on my wrist over his tile floor...and he said (quickly and seriously) bring that over the counter and when you put it on at home do it over the bed!

Quote Originally Posted by Paleotime View Post
    ]...and he said (quickly and seriously) bring that over the counter and when you put it on at home do it over the bed!
    This is very good advice. I wonder how many of us do it? I tend to put my on in the wardrobe, so usually not me (unless I remember about 1 in 10 times).

This is very good advice. I wonder how many of us do it?
    Great advice. I follow it now for the most part. My watch drawer is adjacent to the bed so it is easy for me. Also, since my interest/collection tends toward the pre-1945 timeframe almost nothing I wear has incabloc or similar shock protection. So doubly important not to bounce one.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information