Time travel with Captain Cook - Page 2
Like Tree225Likes

Thread: Time travel with Captain Cook

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Re: Time travel with Captain Cook

Great thread! Those are some cool photos! I love history! I can't add much at the moment. Hopefully I wont have to resurrect this great thread with something in two weeks. I also collect coins, along with many other things. I found this one back when I was going through five-thousand pennies every week. For the most part, it's the same year. The movement is an old stock 986A from 1927, and wasn't cased until WWII. The case is the same though, just later made by Wadsworth. I assume it got redialed at some point.

Name:  FullSizeRender (5).jpg
Views: 142
Size:  121.1 KB
    busmatt, bubba48, Giotime and 4 others like this.
    "A watch is ruined, not by time, but by bad handling. To run well it should be wound regularly, cleaned yearly, and, if injured, taken to a competent, practical man. A ​Waltham watch properly cared for will last a lifetime." -American Waltham Watch Co. Catalog (c) 1900
    “When your watch gets out of order you have a choice of two things to do: throw it in the fire or take it to the watch-tinker. The former is the quickest.” -Mark Twain

OK, as we had baseball already:

1991, family re-union in Baltimore. Mike Mussina just moved into a house in the neighborhood, after he has signed up as a pitcher for the Baltimore Orioles. He became a five-time All-Star and seven-time Gold Glove winner and won several other awards during his time with the Orioles and the New York Yankees.

Already drafted by the Orioles in 1987, he declined the offer and went on with college and got his degree in economics at the Stanford University.

My aunt, who had already made acquaintance with the new neighbor went over with me to get a baseball personally signed by him.

And when he handed me over the precious souvenir, I had this ultra-light titanium moon phase watch on my wrist, which I had bought a few days before.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Last edited by Border-Reiver; February 18th, 2016 at 21:56.
    Giotime, busmatt, JOSE G and 2 others like this.

Wonderful heritage, so much diversified yet so focused with taste.Thanks for sharing all.

I think once you appreciate old stuff,you can't limit yourself with watches only. At least that's my excuse...

Apart from my mother inherited old coins and banknotes collection, I have early mobile phones and some sunglasses & watches combo also:

Name:  DSC00595 (Medium).JPG
Views: 120
Size:  172.7 KB

Glycine Airman Special from 1957 and Bausch & Lomb ( parent company of RayBan ) from early '40s. Definitely have been used together by aviation personnel including Gemini 5 space mission .

Former test pilot, later astronaut Pete Conrad after recovery on USS Lake Champlain ( 29 August 1965 ) :

Name:  GPN-2000-001494 - Copy.jpg
Views: 118
Size:  493.3 KB
    Last edited by Emre; February 19th, 2016 at 16:36.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

In 1974 I was presented with this Breitling Navitimer, 816. Back then I was very skinny and this 50mm beast simply swamped my puny wrist! Until the onset of middle age and the inevitable flab, I therefore wore my Navitimer only very rarely. One occasion when it seemed fitting to – pardon the expression – strap it on, was 28 July 1989, when I flew from Duxford on this Ju52. It was a wonderful experience, slightly daunting at first when the engines struggled to splutter into life, but soon just plain exciting, especially when Tante made some sudden lurches which provoked stern Achtung announcements on the PA! We were in the air for only about 40 minutes, but it was one of the very best flights I have enjoyed in many years of air travel.

Last edited by davidbuckden; February 19th, 2016 at 16:16.

Quote Originally Posted by davidbuckden View Post
    In 1974 I was presented with this Breitling Navitimer, 816. Back then I was very skinny and this 50mm beast simply swamped my puny wrist! Until the onset of middle age and the inevitable flab, I therefore wore my Navitimer only very rarely. One occasion when it seemed fitting to – pardon the expression – strap it on, was 28 July 1989, when I flew from Duxford on this Ju52. It was a wonderful experience, slightly daunting at first when the engines struggled to splutter into life, but soon just plain exciting, especially when Tante made some sudden lurches which provoked stern Achtung announcements on the PA! We were in the air for only about 40 minutes, but it was one of the very best flights I have enjoyed in many years of air travel.
    This is one of the 3 Swiss machines. They were delivered to the Swiss military in 1939 and survived WWII. Besides charter and special flights, the 40 minute sightseeing flight are still offered and very popular from different regional airports. Flights with Tante (aunt) JU are usually booked out 6 to 8 month in advance and not cheap: 276,50 Euros / US$ 310.00, but if you can afford a Breitling...
    busmatt likes this.

When you think of all that goes into the making of them, the price of most quality watches – both modern and (especially) vintage – represents very good value for money. I put that in the context of 2016 where people pay £2 for cup of Americano coffee with hardly a thought.

Like the watches I so greatly enjoy, that Tante flight, as a multi-facetted experience, was great value for money. The ticket was £70 and the agents, George Pick Aerotours, even gave me a £10 discount on the ticket for my young son. Having spent just £130 I have the memory of a super shared experience, some good photographs and even some wobbly 8mm movie footage shot from the ground by my dear missus. I’m sure it did my Navitimer good too to be in a more natural environment for a change!
    [QUOTE=Border-Reiver;26055770]This is one of the 3 Swiss machines. They were delivered to the Swiss military in 1939 and survived WWII. Besides charter and special flights, the 40 minute sightseeing flight are still offered and very popular from different regional airports. Flights with Tante (aunt) JU are usually booked out 6 to 8 month in advance and not cheap: 276,50 Euros / US$ 310.00, but if you can afford a Breitling...[/QUOTE]

My Luch 2209 made in Minsk USSR in the mid 80s with a Spartak Moscow v Liverpool badge from 92, i was at the home game at Anfield, still got my ticket.(bottom photo)

Quote Originally Posted by REDSWAN13 View Post
    My Luch 2209 made in Minsk USSR in the mid 80s with a Spartak Moscow v Liverpool badge from 92, i was at the home game at Anfield, still got my ticket.(bottom photo)

Yiz никогда не ходить в одиночку (you never walk alone) with this watch... I hope the Google translator got this right.
    Last edited by Border-Reiver; February 21st, 2016 at 10:37.
    REDSWAN13, busmatt and JOSE G like this.

Haha i dont speak Russian Border-Reiver but i think thats pretty close. (Oxford Essential Russian Dictionary)
    busmatt likes this.

The Lisbon cityscape is aesthetically distinctive– the gentle slope of richly coloured tiled rooves down to the sea and the continuity of the architecture, thanks to a near total rebuild necessitated by the 1755 earthquake: two elements that are especially satisfying. My only time there was in 1990 when we were launching the revised Alfa 33 with 1.7 litre engine to the UK motoring press; it was an extremely pleasant trip. It left me with a soft spot for Portugal and its Brit-friendly people, and, more recently, I treated myself to this IWC Portuguese Chronograph: very elegant, like Lisbon’s city centre, (though I was surprised by the extent of the shanty town around the edge, cheek by jowl.)

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread Information