Time travel with Captain Cook
Like Tree225Likes

Thread: Time travel with Captain Cook

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Time travel with Captain Cook

We all treasure our vintage (and antique) watches, either in the collection or occasionally on the wrist, but what about going back with them into the time they were made, watching the dials glow on those little time-machines and their constant beating becoming a bit more pronounced, when the memories come back?

During the years 1768 – 1771 Captain James Cook undertook his first voyage around the world on H.S. Bark ‘Endeavor’. The trip lead him from Portsmouth/England to South America, Tahiti, New Zealand, the East Coast of Australia, Batavia and round the Cape of Good Hope back to Portsmouth.

Copies of the various books about this and other trips are freely available from many sources, as the copyright has long run out. The most comprehensive work about this trip and others comes from John Hawkesworth with the long title ‘An account of the voyages undertaken by the order of His present Majesty for making discoveries in the Southern Hemisphere, and successively performed by Commodore Byron, Captain Wallis, Captain Carteret, and Captain Cook, in the Dolphin, the Swallow, and the Endeavour drawn up from the journals which were kept by the several commanders etc.

I happen to own an original book from 1774, which is the volume 3 and deals with the first Voyage of Captain Cook and I will take the velvet gloves and read this original for the first time, but not without having a verge-fusee from that period besides me, which I will also let run down the chain, something it already did shortly before James Cook and his men went aboard the Endeavour. 38 of his crew did not come back; they have drowned, frozen or died of other causes.

But you can make it a size smaller, like wearing that 1970s Timex when listening to an old vinyl record of Frank Sinatra or you might find an old pair of shoes from that time, perhaps not yours, but some of your fathers…

That was just an idea to put some more life and excitement into your watch collection and you can make your own perfect match and combination…
    Attached Images Attached Images

Last edited by Border-Reiver; February 16th, 2016 at 15:26.
    busmatt, Giotime, Emre and 13 others like this.

Re: Time travel with Captain Cook

Man you hit my soft spot with that book and watch combination. Love the old knowledge preserved in its form whether in a watch case or book cover. Send me that book when you are done reading, I will happily rebind and strengthen/restore its spine and case.

I have also some combos from the days gone by:

John Maynard Keynes and his legendary book 'The Economic Consequences of The Peace '.

If politicians in Paris peace conference would be smart enough to keep him on table and listen to him, the world may have not seen the WW II.He proofed in 1921 basically that under the negotiated after war circumstances the dynamics won't be settled and a disaster would come soon. A man who calculated future peace with mathematics...

and its buddy from the Isle of Man. John Harwood's ingenious automatic wrist watch:

Name:  14 (2).jpg
Views: 260
Size:  140.1 KB

The below are self explanatory, black dial is Buren 1916 hallmarks, off white dial is Gallet early center seconds from WW I era:

Name:  DSC05567 (Medium).jpg
Views: 262
Size:  231.9 KB

Name:  GalletWWI.jpg
Views: 261
Size:  298.6 KB

Oldest book I have is from 1575 but don't have a watch to match. May be I should get myself a clock tower from Turin or there abouts :)
    Last edited by Emre; February 16th, 2016 at 17:55.

Very nice and highly interesting, Emre...

Books, old records, shoes … there is so much more. I have this old bottle of red wine in my vault cellar, 1969 Chianti Classico Riserva, Gallo Nero, given to me by a good friend in Sienna, Italy, many moons ago. It will be 50 years old another 3 years down the road. I could drink it, my 1960s Tissot would fit the occasion - at least what concerns the period of time.

I always thought of contacting Archibald Chesterfield III. to see if he would consider swapping it against one of his Patek’s (the wine, not the watch).

Last edited by Border-Reiver; February 16th, 2016 at 19:19.
    busmatt, radger, Wibbs and 6 others like this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Very nice, guys. Ok, now yo've done it and inspired me. No books from me though, but there is so much stuff to choose from.
    Here are two of my pictures.

Name:  20160216_192043~01.jpg
Views: 243
Size:  190.6 KB

Name:  20160216_192650~01kopie.jpg
Views: 244
Size:  229.5 KB
    -The days of the digital watch are numbered.

Fun thread. Late 50s-Early 60s....

James A, Emre, busmatt and 5 others like this.

Super post and a fantastic ‘experience concept’ which chimes with my own feelings about history and, more personally, nostalgia. I don’t really know why, but I have a particular liking for the 1770s and own two verges and some books from that decade. A time I suppose at the very junction of the ancient and the modern.

As a Sixties teenager I felt obliged to scorn Sinatra in the day. But he was my mum’s favourite and with age I’ve been able to relax and now enjoy his stuff both for its superb quality and the obvious nostalgia cues.

Thanks again for such a stimulating post.
    [QUOTE=Border

1971 Timex Electric

1971 Silver Dollar Eisenhower. The back side shows the emblem of the Apollo 11 mission, an American Bald Eagle landing on the moon. The coin is reminiscent of the 34th President of the USA who died in 1969, the year of the first moon landing, July 20/21, 1969, Apollo 11, Neil Armstrong, Buzz Aldrin (both on the moon) and Michael Collins (in moon orbit).

Most astronauts, from Apollo 8 Apollo 17, went to the moon or on their missions with an Omega Speedmaster, manual wind. It was also the first watch on the moon (Buzz Aldrin was the first one to carry it around on the surface of the moon). Armstrong, the first man on the moon, left it in the lunar module. It had replaced the cabin timer which had malfunctioned. Today, it’s on display in the National Air and Space museum, Washington DC.

It would be nice to have one of those, model 1968 to 1972. In the meantime, I have this more down-earth Timex. After Apollo 12 (1969) and the near disaster of Apollo 13 (1970), someone must have worn this watch when sitting in front of his TV, watching Apollo 14 and 15 (1971) and Apollo 16 and 17 (1972), possibly already in color, as in 1972, sales of color sets finally surpassed sales of black-and-white sets. Live pictures from the moon were still in b/w, as in these days, color cameras were still too heavy and using too much radio bandwidth.

Last edited by Border-Reiver; February 18th, 2016 at 21:59.

I played baseball when I was young and this man was my idol

1956 This was the watch

Timex Marlin

Who won the World Series?

A pendant PW, Ladies A. LeCoultre, beside the swimming pool with my cool new Moon.
    Name:  P1040338.JPG
Views: 199
Size:  1.88 MB

Mid-Seventies – I’m strutting my stuff as a dynamic young executive at the UK importers of BMW cars and motorcycles. But because I’d been to art school and fancied myself as a bit of an iconoclast, I didn’t want to go along with the ‘crowd’ and sport a Rolex or Omega. Rather, it was a cheap, plastic Timex which I flaunted on my wrist. Then one morning our marvellous Sales Director, Peter Beaumont, noticed it and told me in no uncertain terms that someone representing the pride of Munich could not possibly be seen wearing such a ‘thing’. Being a basically compliant rebel, I hastened out at lunchtime and availed myself of a new Bulova ‘Longchamp’, which, at £55 seemed more than extravagant by my own standards. (A failing of my recent restoration of the Bulova is the absence of the ‘Longchamp’ script.)

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread Information