WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

In Times of War - A CAMPAIGN Watch

3K views 20 replies 7 participants last post by  HOROLOGIST007 
#1 · (Edited)
Ever since reading Dennis Harris entry in the Horological Journal "The Early Wrist Watch in Times of War 1899 - 1920" - I have endeavored to research, understand and own each parts of the 'jigsaw' in The Horology of the beginning of the wristwatch.

I read in Harris's article about the Mappin and Webb 'Campaign' watch with an Omega movement. This was a pocket watch from 1900 sold in a 'wristlet' (no not made by Hermes) and worn by officers in the Boer War (1899 - 1902)
So I got myself a 'wristlet'

But the watch that really had was my goal was The First - 'CAMPAIGN' wristwatch - again this was sold by Mappin and Webb in 1916 with a 13" Longines movement, cal.13.34.
This model was continued and sold by Mappin and Webb until 1920 - the discontinued.
In 1937/8, Mappin and Webb re-introduced the 'CAMPAIGN' wristwatch.

My search was for the '1916 CAMPAIGN Wristwatch'

Over past 4 years only 2 turned up. The first just the enamel dial and case, the second a full timepiece.
For various reasons I lost the both!

So last week when a silver 1917 MAPPIN - 'CAMPAIGN' watch turned up with a BIN - I bought it immediately.
AND, its a fantastic example, perfect and correct in every way.

1917 silver Mappin - Campaign Watch.
Longines
The outer case and dust cover are signed 'AB' for Arthur Baum - a director of Baume & Co who had sole rights to the UK Longines agency.
British Silver Import mark for London 1917.
The 15 Jewel movement is also marked with B & Co. and 13.34 which refers to the movement calire.
Serial No: 3,412,647 dates the year of manufacture to 1917.

Genuine WW1 period Silver Military type Watch manufactured by Longines and retailed through the London jewellers 'Mappin & Webb'.
Known as "The Mappin Campaign" watch these watches were sold to Officers and troops as private purchase items.

Arthur Baume

This AB mark is the sponsor's mark registered at the assay office by Arthur Baume (1888 - 1923) Managing Director of Baume & Co.
Baume & Company were the importer of Longines watches to the UK and all of the British Commonwealth, and also watch makers in their own right. Otherwise unmarked Logines watches from the early 20th century often bear the mark "B & Co." for Baume & Co. next to the movement calibre number under the balance wheel (Acknowledgement -
David.b.Boettcher)

AND - From Longines - Official Hand-Written Records
Longines - Official Records
The serial number 3'412'647 identifies a silver 0.925 wristwatch fitted with the Longines manufacture caliber 13.34ZZ that was first produced in 1910.
It was invoiced to Messrs.' Baume, who were for many years our agent for UK, on September 2nd, 1917.

There you go, another part of the jigsaw.
And Finally the Mappin & Webb - 'CAMPAIGN' in 1954!! Still continueing - AMAZING.

Regards
adam
AKNOWLEDGEMENTS
Dennis Harris - The Early Wrist Watch in Times of War - Horological Journal 1998
David Boettcher - Arthur Baume Info

See less See more
#2 ·
#3 ·
Hi Marc
Thanks - Interesting yours is assayed 'a' so 1916
And I think your serial number falls into 1916 - mine as Longines advised was 1917 as is my assay mark 'b'

The advert you showed - again interesting as that is a 'pin set' watch so was probably a hunter pocket watch movement.
I had not seen that advert

Thanks for posting
adam

#8 · (Edited)
Thanks
That IS OUTSTANDING. Its immaculate Can you post a movement picture too?
It is strange even by 1918 - the 'pocket' watch prevailed. Why?? Safety??
Thanks for sharing it

@Bazzab
Thankyou - Appreciated

A

#10 ·
Interesting
"Half Chronometer" why? Because escapement is 'just' a detached lever?
I think you may have explained it before - Sorry I forget.
Regards

#11 ·
Ah Adam, you open a can of worms ;-) V&C was one of the very few Swiss makers that even acknowledged the term "half-chronometer" and they went so far as to engrave "DEMI-CHRONOMETRE" on the cuvette of those timepieces. The term is really of English origin and initially meant a free-sprung balance and other signs of quality movement construction. The Swiss Observatories that did chronometer testing pre-COSC, however, did not accept the term. Now our mutual friend Dr. Jon has a theory that, for the Swiss at least, these half-chronometer V&C's, Capt's, etc., were in-fact Observatory rated as 2nd or 3rd class chronometers, falling below the Competition standards but receiving a Bulletin. He has assembled some evidence but I'm mystified that both the Observatoire de Geneve and V&C deny that bulletins were issued or received for "demi-chronometres". IMHO, the use of the term "half-chronometer" by the Corps of Engineers in their order to V&C was more of the English interpretation of higher-quality with chronometric intentions than the Swiss interpretation of Observatory testing. This seems to be confirmed by those Corps watches provided by Ulysse Nardin and Zenith. Presumably they were under the same specifications yet these Manufactures did not use a "demi-chronometre" rating. Furthermore, I doubt very much that during and immediately following the war years these makers flooded the Observatories with thousands of movements for 45 days of testing while under extreme pressure to deliver; a fact evidenced by the numerous sub-contracting that occurred in their struggle to fill the American military orders. V&C themselves used Moser while UN went to IWC. Does this make sense?

#12 ·
Thank You
Great explanation.

Thanks for the details
regrds

#13 ·
I've came across the term semi or demi-chronometer many times over the years, usualy
referenced in old books written by English watchmakers and it is defined as you say TickTalk.
A watch having some elements of the chronometer, the compensated balance being a must.
It springs from the times when the manufacture of the bi-metallic, compensated balance was
an expensive production.

The Corps of Engineers will have required accurate chronometers for surveying, I wonder if many
U.S made watches made the grade.

#14 ·
The Corps of Engineers will have required accurate chronometers for surveying, I wonder if many
U.S made watches made the grade.
I must admit to great ignorance on the state of American watches of the period. However...I believe the American military orders for high quality "tool" watches was a happy convergence of two factors. The one factor we are all aware of is the high quality of the Swiss watches. They were not settling for 2nd best with these beauties, regardless of how well-made the American product was. But secondly, there was great economic pressure on Switzerland to equalize their balance of trade with the USA. During the war, the Swiss were importing almost half their food and the national deficit was 4X their gross national product. American interests carried some of this debt. This factor IMHO is what swung the balance in favor of the very large order by the US Army Corps of Engineers between 1917 and 1919 for 10,000 Swiss timepieces! The Corps arrived with Hamilton's and could have obtained more, but the trade deficit demanded some recompense from the Swiss and this was an elegant solution. While this is only a theory regarding watches, I have seen documentation on the WWI trade problem between Switzerland and the USA regarding other commodities so I have some faith in this analysis.

#15 ·
#16 ·
A wonderful marriage of strap to watch :)

#17 ·
Thanks - David does a lot of research into all his projects
He is a scholar and a gentleman - I can not praise his knowledge enough.

Regards

#21 ·
Ah, OK
Thanks

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.