Timex Acqua - Camper????
Like Tree21Likes

Thread: Timex Acqua - Camper????

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 20
  1. #1
    Member thoth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Wisconsin
    Posts
    4,898

    Timex Acqua - Camper????

    Ok....kind of confused. Does anyone know anything about the Acqua black campers? I know Timex ceases making mechanical watches in 1983 and around that time they stopped having the military issue and the plastic cased green campers. The watch below is not the one I would be picking up and am waiting on pics of what is being offered.

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	s-l1600 (14).jpg 
Views:	176 
Size:	236.3 KB 
ID:	12895615

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	s-l1600 (13).jpg 
Views:	123 
Size:	238.5 KB 
ID:	12895629

  2. #2
    Member ManOnTime's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Location
    Minneapolis, MN
    Posts
    2,758

    Re: Timex Acqua - Camper????

    Quote Originally Posted by thoth View Post
    Ok....kind of confused. Does anyone know anything about the Acqua black campers? I know Timex ceases making mechanical watches in 1983 and around that time they stopped having the military issue and the plastic cased green campers. The watch below is not the one I would be picking up and am waiting on pics of what is being offered.

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	s-l1600 (14).jpg 
Views:	176 
Size:	236.3 KB 
ID:	12895615

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	s-l1600 (13).jpg 
Views:	123 
Size:	238.5 KB 
ID:	12895629
    I've never seen one of those!

    Do you know if it has a date code on the back (two digits or a letter and a digit)? That can help pinpoint the year.

    By the way, Timex didn't stop making mechanical watches until 1996. Up until recently I owned this Marlin, which was made in 1995.

    Attachment 12895947
    GammaRay999 likes this.
    Contact Info:
    Telegram: MoT
    Text: 6124245149
    WhatsApp: +16124245149
    'You don't have to burn books to destroy a culture. Just get people to stop reading them.' - Ray Bradbury
    'Freedom is hammered out on the anvil of debate, discussion, and dissent.' - H.H.H.

  3. #3
    Member thoth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Wisconsin
    Posts
    4,898

    Re: Timex Acqua - Camper????

    The camper the seller had in the picture in his listing was the usual green case black dial with water resistant markings. So I ignored the title and pulled the trigger thinking I was getting a camper for $29 fully running and good condition with original band. But he got his pictures mixed up as he has it listed on another listing for $135. But after seeing the Acqua I figured it would add to the collection well but want to see a pic of it first.

    He offered to send the green camper as it was the one pictured but I don't want the guy to lose out because he accidentally put up the wrong pics. I will post the pics if he posts them for me.

    I found the ref to a 1982/83 end date...go figure it came from an unreliable source....Hodinkee. They claimed that they saw that date in the Timex official papers. Maybe they looked at a blank piece of paper and imagined it had words that said that.

    As to back date codes....The one I have on right now has a 57 on the back. Should I assume that means May 1987?

  4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements
     

  5. #4
    Member ManOnTime's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Location
    Minneapolis, MN
    Posts
    2,758

    Re: Timex Acqua - Camper????

    Quote Originally Posted by thoth View Post
    The camper the seller had in the picture in his listing was the usual green case black dial with water resistant markings. So I ignored the title and pulled the trigger thinking I was getting a camper for $29 fully running and good condition with original band. But he got his pictures mixed up as he has it listed on another listing for $135. But after seeing the Acqua I figured it would add to the collection well but want to see a pic of it first.

    He offered to send the green camper as it was the one pictured but I don't want the guy to lose out because he accidentally put up the wrong pics. I will post the pics if he posts them for me.
    That's mighty gentlemanly of you. I know there are plenty who would take advantage and have him send it.

    Quote Originally Posted by thoth View Post
    I found the ref to a 1982/83 end date...go figure it came from an unreliable source....Hodinkee. They claimed that they saw that date in the Timex official papers. Maybe they looked at a blank piece of paper and imagined it had words that said that.
    Hodinkee got something wrong? Sir, I am shocked! ;)

    Quote Originally Posted by thoth View Post
    As to back date codes....The one I have on right now has a 57 on the back. Should I assume that means May 1987?
    A bit later than that, September 1989.
    thoth and busmatt like this.
    Contact Info:
    Telegram: MoT
    Text: 6124245149
    WhatsApp: +16124245149
    'You don't have to burn books to destroy a culture. Just get people to stop reading them.' - Ray Bradbury
    'Freedom is hammered out on the anvil of debate, discussion, and dissent.' - H.H.H.

  6. #5
    Member thoth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Wisconsin
    Posts
    4,898

    Re: Timex Acqua - Camper????

    Quote Originally Posted by ManOnTime View Post
    A bit later than that, September 1989.

    Ok.....whats the secret? Seiko and Citizen I get. The numbers on Timex dials I get. But 57=Sep 1989. I'm lost lol

    What is your opinion of campers marked Taiwan and have no number on the back?

  7. #6
    Member ManOnTime's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Location
    Minneapolis, MN
    Posts
    2,758

    Re: Timex Acqua - Camper????

    Quote Originally Posted by thoth View Post
    Ok.....whats the secret? Seiko and Citizen I get. The numbers on Timex dials I get. But 57=Sep 1989. I'm lost lol

    What is your opinion of campers marked Taiwan and have no number on the back?
    Attachment 12896289

    Any of the watches marked Taiwan are hard to date. The only real way is to take it apart and see if there is a date ink stamped on the inside of the case.
    thoth likes this.
    Contact Info:
    Telegram: MoT
    Text: 6124245149
    WhatsApp: +16124245149
    'You don't have to burn books to destroy a culture. Just get people to stop reading them.' - Ray Bradbury
    'Freedom is hammered out on the anvil of debate, discussion, and dissent.' - H.H.H.

  8. #7
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    2,624

    Re: Timex Acqua - Camper????

    These Acqua watches were made into the mid 1990's. I got one brand new as a gift from my Grandmother in 1993 as a christmas gift. I was in 11th grade at the time and the band did not fit my fat arm. I still have it. I hardly wore it

    Here are some pics of it from a few minutes ago.

    Acqua had a connection with Timex or was a sub brand as they also had the Indiglo dial light.

    Mine was made in the Philippines with a Hong Kong strap buckle
    Attached Images Attached Images














  9. #8
    Member thoth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Wisconsin
    Posts
    4,898

    Re: Timex Acqua - Camper????

    Quote Originally Posted by journeyforce View Post
    These Acqua watches were made into the mid 1990's. I got one brand new as a gift from my Grandmother in 1993 as a christmas gift. I was in 11th grade at the time and the band did not fit my fat arm. I still have it. I hardly wore it

    Here are some pics of it from a few minutes ago.

    Acqua had a connection with Timex or was a sub brand as they also had the Indiglo dial light.

    Mine was made in the Philippines with a Hong Kong strap buckle

    That thing is in awesome shape!! Guess it is a good thing it did not fit...kept it mint.

    And thanks to that fantastic chart I know it was made in May 1992.

  10. #9
    Mod. Russian, China Mech. Chascomm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Western Australia
    Posts
    16,612

    Re: Timex Acqua - Camper????

    Quote Originally Posted by thoth View Post
    I found the ref to a 1982/83 end date...go figure it came from an unreliable source....Hodinkee. They claimed that they saw that date in the Timex official papers...
    Perhaps they were referring to the end of Timex's mechanical watch production in the USA? It would not be an unusual error; I've seen similar with regards to vintage Westclox and Ingersoll.
    Chascomm
    Moderator, Russian Watches & Chinese Mechanical Watches Forums
    (no, I am not going to list all my watches here)

  11. #10
    Member ManOnTime's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Location
    Minneapolis, MN
    Posts
    2,758

    Re: Timex Acqua - Camper????

    Quote Originally Posted by Chascomm View Post
    Perhaps they were referring to the end of Timex's mechanical watch production in the USA? It would not be an unusual error; I've seen similar with regards to vintage Westclox and Ingersoll.
    Doubtful. I know the article he is referencing, it is chock full of inaccuracies.
    Contact Info:
    Telegram: MoT
    Text: 6124245149
    WhatsApp: +16124245149
    'You don't have to burn books to destroy a culture. Just get people to stop reading them.' - Ray Bradbury
    'Freedom is hammered out on the anvil of debate, discussion, and dissent.' - H.H.H.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

    Similar Threads

    1. Timex - Oversized Camper... Who's Got It ??
      By sixties.nut in forum Affordable watches
      Replies: 90
      Last Post: November 4th, 2012, 18:36
    2. Sold Timex Oversized Camper + Zulu strap. Asking $22 For Everythihng
      By twincity in forum Watches - Private sellers and Sponsors
      Replies: 0
      Last Post: March 30th, 2012, 22:54
    3. Traded Timex Oversized Camper $35 OBRO
      By twincity in forum Watches - Private sellers and Sponsors
      Replies: 0
      Last Post: October 22nd, 2011, 01:13
    4. Timex Big Camper?
      By cottontop in forum Affordable watches
      Replies: 6
      Last Post: June 18th, 2011, 03:11
    5. Timex Expedition Camper
      By 1289modman in forum Affordable watches
      Replies: 8
      Last Post: February 24th, 2010, 21:00

    Posting Permissions

    • You may not post new threads
    • You may not post replies
    • You may not post attachments
    • You may not edit your posts
    •