Timex Automatic

Thread: Timex Automatic

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Timex Automatic

I bought this one today at a local flea market, I thought it looked ok and haven't had a Timex since I was about 11, anyway I kinda like automatics and the 'retro' 60 & 70's look.
    Condition wise the chrome plated case is pretty decent with a few scratches and some age related wear but nothing too bad, the crystal easily polished up, and the dial is a kind of metallic brown and almost mint.
    The movement is what you'd expect from Timex but so far it has kept perfect time...I know Timex isn't everybodys cup of tea but hey what do you want for £4.00???
    Attached Images Attached Images

Re: Timex Automatic

Timex's are a brilliant example of engineering, and the ultimate expression of both Roskopf's original design, and his original intent.
    My growing collection of "affordable" vintages: http://www.abslomrob.com

I have a couple Timex auto's. A 21 jewel also. There nice looking and cheap.
    Earlier this year on vacation a man showed me a timex in a 14k case. Swore it was real, but that was the first one I've ever seen. Anyone else seen one? Authentic?

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

That's a really nice one, especially for the money. Congrats!!

Quote Originally Posted by lowme55 View Post
    I have a couple Timex auto's. A 21 jewel also. There nice looking and cheap.
    Earlier this year on vacation a man showed me a timex in a 14k case. Swore it was real, but that was the first one I've ever seen. Anyone else seen one? Authentic?

Yep there are a couple models that were done in real gold.
    I have seen a marlin and a early electric in 14k and only a few were done in 14k RGP.
    Timex is one of my fav collectable because you can get them dated
    in your birth year 50's-current and almost all are easily dated from thier dial numbers or inside back numbers what better way to commemorate your birth at such a low cost and still have a wearable well made watch.
    1979 5513 Submariner
    1977 Timex Milspec Custom Conversion
    1966 Timex 600 Skindiver
    1969 Benrus US Military Issued
    1961 Belforte Sheppard AFB
    1961 Omega Seamaster

"Time spent waiting between the seconds is only conspiring to make me older" DV 2018
    "I don't always agree with everybody but when I do it's because I'm Right"
    DV 2011
    Dirtvictim The Watch Mechanic.

the serial number on the bottom of the dial is 46650 10878, so I guess 1978?
    I must admit whilst I like a good movement and find them asthetically pleasing and technologically interesting I also like case design and usability so this is where Timex scores high...it has now been running (on the bench)for approximately 20 hours or so and has gained about 45 seconds...just a pity the case isn't stainless!
    I also scored an Accurist MB 480 all stainless in vvgc apart from a scratched glass it is nigh on perfect although it is a quartz but hey a great work watch for £ 3.00...I love car boots!

Quote Originally Posted by stefano34 View Post
    ..just a pity the case isn't stainless!
    Although the plating on Timexes - at least the British ones - is generally very good indeed. Yours looks to be in very good shape.
    Everybody is ignorant, only on different subjects."

Will Rogers (1879 - 1935)

Please don't PM me to ask for a valuation - I won't attempt one.

well timex is been around since 1854, and any watch company that has lasted that long is my cup of tea..great pic..enjoy in great health.....god bless
    A watch doesn't just tell time, it also tell's a story.........................

Hi stefano34,

take care of it. Timex watches, although not yet collectibles, have ingenious
    design details you search in vain in most high grade movements. I've
    describend some in my archive:
    http://www.ranfft.de/cgi-bin/bidfun-...uswk&Timex_M32

The selfwinding mechanism is similar to the Pellaton design in the famous
    IWC 853 line, but (sorry) more sophisticated.

Regards, Roland Ranfft

Thanks for replies gentlemen, how does one get the movement out from these as the inside of the crystal and the hands etc need a slight clean...I know how to remove the crown& stem and think you then bend back the four 'tabs' that hold the movement but it doesn't come out, in fact it appears to come out of the front after the crystal has been removed?

I really like this one and have been debating which strap to fix as I don't get on with the type of expander bracelet fitted...any ideas?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information