Timex Crystal?

Thread: Timex Crystal?

Timex Crystal?

Apologies if I have posted this in the wrong place I wasn't sure where to put the question

I have a small boy's timex watch from the mid 70s (probably 74/75). It has no real value that I am aware of to anyone but me. As far as I remember this was my very first watch as a little kid.

Basically I took it to a local horologist to see if he could replace the glass but I gather they are no longer made, the way he described it to me was that the edge of the glass has a sort of groove where it fits into the case. From the diagram he drew me the best I c,an work out is that the glass required maybe this....

Name:  ImageUploadedByTapatalk1433457443.841950.jpg
Views: 151
Size:  37.3 KB

Here is the watch...
    Name:  ImageUploadedByTapatalk1433457472.938082.jpg
Views: 131
Size:  482.6 KB

There is no model number on the watch anywhere. It just says "Great Britain" in tiny print around the number 6 on the dial if anyone is wondering.

Can anyone confirm whether I am looking at the right thing and where I might possibly find such a glass? I am in the UK and only spotted the one above on eBay in the U.S.

Thanks all!
    Last edited by siblingchris; June 5th, 2015 at 00:43.

Re: Timex Crystal?

Quote Originally Posted by siblingchris View Post
    Apologies if I have posted this in the wrong place I wasn't sure where to put the question

I have a small boy's timex watch from the mid 70s (probably 74/75). It has no real value that I am aware of to anyone but me. As far as I remember this was my very first watch as a little kid.

Basically I took it to a local horologist to see if he could replace the glass but I gather they are no longer made, the way he described it to me was that the edge of the glass has a sort of groove where it fits into the case. From the diagram he drew me the best I c,an work out is that the glass required maybe this....

Name:  ImageUploadedByTapatalk1433457443.841950.jpg
Views: 151
Size:  37.3 KB

Here is the watch...
    Name:  ImageUploadedByTapatalk1433457472.938082.jpg
Views: 131
Size:  482.6 KB

There is no model number on the watch anywhere. It just says "Great Britain" in tiny print around the number 6 on the dial if anyone is wondering.

Can anyone confirm whether I am looking at the right thing and where I might possibly find such a glass? I am in the UK and only spotted the one above on eBay in the U.S.

Thanks all!
    I would just keep searching on eBay until you come up with something. There may be somebody here that can point you to a vintage Timex guy but one of the pleasures of collecting old Timex's is they are very affordable and a service would normally exceed value of watch. But I have seen (usually larger lots) of old Timex crystals. And I'm not sure that they were so special that a replacement crystal wouldn't be readily available. Its hard to believe that Timex would make propriatary crystals when massive production was their game. But good luck on your search. Hope you do find a fitting crystal and even if it doesn't have the 'groove' my guess would be a clever watchmaker could certainly figure out a 'fix' for a normal glass as long as he knows it for sentiment and not precision.
    :ROLEX OMEGA LONGiNES ♦ SEIKO Aquadive ♦ ELGIN ♦ hamilton O&W imexZodiac......

Thread Information