Timex diver ? what do I have here?
Like Tree16Likes

Thread: Timex diver ? what do I have here?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Timex diver – what do I have here?

Text added after discovering a major mistake. I had made a long elaborate about the stupidity to give this watch a helium valve, but in effect it is not such a thing but a regular setting button. Sorry for this!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Last edited by Border-Reiver; June 4th, 2017 at 11:27.
    bsshog40, derids, busmatt and 2 others like this.

Re: Timex diver – what do I have here?

Nice watch.

I actually like Timex watches and do wear a lot of them for outdoor activities. They take a good beating and work fine.

As for the bi-directional bezel, Timex is not alone with this. Seiko 6309(cushion cased) 6105 and the famous 62MAS are bi directional. The same with my Accutron 666ft diver. A lot of actual diver's watches were. It was not till recently that a true diver's watch was not bi directional
    Border-Reiver and busmatt like this.

Lots of 60's and 70's divers have bidirectional diving bezels.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by U5512 View Post
    Lots of 60's and 70's divers have bidirectional diving bezels.

Well, diver’s watches are an illusion anyway and never suitable for serious diving. Good for leaving it on under the shower, in the pool or during some snorkeling.

In my younger years, I did a lot of scuba diving, as a volunteer in a live saving unit, together with crazy guys diving for the sunken treasures (never found anything) and on lots of trips to Jamaica and other fantastic places.

Believe me, if someone would have come along with a diver’s watch, regardless of Rolex or Timex on the dial, to control his diving, he would have been sent home like someone coming along drunk. You have special instruments for that, also with more clear indications. On these instruments, the bezel can only be turned counter clockwise. It is also part of pre-checking your instruments and to see if the blocking of the bezel in the wrong direction is still intact. Everything else would be like changing your seat belt in the car with a ribbon from a chocolate box.

If we would say this Timex diver is a nice thing, watertight to 100 meters and the optical impression of a diver’s watch – fine!

But what is this nonsense of a helium valve? It also nonsense in a Rolex diver if you ask real experts. And before I put in a helium valve in a diver look-alike, I would think twice about a quartz movement inside where you never know when the battery runs out. Besides, the dial is certainly unreadable under water.

But that is exactly why I had bought this thing (besides being a Timex-fan, especially collecting their electric and electronic watches). I strive to have all technical developments of watchmaking in my collection and I am also on the lookout for obscure timepieces, like tasteless French fireplace clocks, 100-jewels pin lever escapements, fake chronos etc. and now a funny diver like this one.

Nevertheless, I don't want to put anything into my collection which I can't identify to a certain extend. The seller said it comes with original box and papers but when it arrived, I saw that neither the box, not the instructions manual, the sales receipt or the guarantee belong to this watch (they are even contradictory within themselves). It got the watch NOS and an excellent price, so I accept this, but are still unable to get any kind of info regarding the age. The movement inside has been made in the Philippines and that type was made for ages. I only have an upper limit, as the price of the box was in French Francs, which also disappered with the introduction of the rotten Euro. My best guess is 1985 to 1995.
    Last edited by Border-Reiver; June 2nd, 2017 at 22:58.
    U5512 and busmatt like this.

OP - an Helium Escape Valve is only useful in stauration diving when the diver lives in a compression chamber for several weeks at a time. During a dive from the surface no matter how deep the diver goes helium won't get into the watch as water doesn't contain any.

I am also a Timex fan and look at a lot. I really can't recall seeing one quite like that....pretty interesting !
    busmatt likes this.

What's the model number as, generally, on a Timex the last two digits indicate the year of maufacture

Quote Originally Posted by MarkieB View Post
    What's the model number as, generally, on a Timex the last two digits indicate the year of maufacture
    I know, I have a pile of Timex watches accross all makes, but this diver gives me a headache when trying to get just the date. The last numbers (on this Timex electric of mine f.i.) gives you the year (here 1977), the numbers before that the movement caliber (here M32). I meanwhile inspected the movement, it is one those made (assembled) in the Philippines, but they were made unchanged for many years. There is no number, no marking, no nothing that would help dating that thing.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Last edited by Border-Reiver; June 3rd, 2017 at 12:18.

That's 1 you don't see often. Congrats.

I have a bi-directional bezeled Timex Skin-Diver..Arguably not as nice as yours.Thought I share. It's had it's share of abuse & well worn love.

Last edited by watchdaddy1; June 3rd, 2017 at 21:50.
    busmatt likes this.
    Panerai 312 / Panerai 176 / Panerai 380 / Rolex 16600 SD /Seiko SBGA001 "Snowflake" /Omega 3573.50 "Sapphire Sandwich" /Junghans Max Bill Chronoscope /Sinn U1 / Longines Legend Diver -No Date / Anonimo D-Date./ Benarus- Bronze-Mo /Seiko 1970 Navigator Timer/Nomos Ahoi Atlantik /Oris 65 Diver / Seiko Turtle SRP777 / Zenith ​ El Primero Tri-Color/ Longines Avigation Big Eye.
    William

Looking at the view of the watch with the back off, it appears that the "helium valve" isn't just for show. Does it set the date or activate the lume?

Chad
    Border-Reiver likes this.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information