Timex Dynabeat!
Like Tree28Likes

Thread: Timex Dynabeat!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Timex Dynabeat!

My latest watch is this Timex. It is very accurate and I like the style. Also its my first working Dynabeat! I have had many but never got them to work. Been using it for a week now and its exactly 30 seconds slow. Not bad for an early electric watch? 36mm wide not counting the crown makes it a fairly modern size. Anyone know anything about these? What is the difference between the Dynabeat and the ones that only say electric?

Re: Timex Dynabeat!

I think the "dynabeat" runs at a faster beat rate (21600 vs 28000), but im not 100% sure.

According to the wonderful Electric Watches website, yours is a Timex model (cal.) 254, running at 28,800bph.

Regards.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

As already mentioned, the Dynabeat is swinging at 28.800 A/h = 8 Hertz - (normal electric and electronic watches = 21.600 A/h = 6 Hertz).

The Dynabeat is based on an electric watch (although coming along when the electronic watches were already there). The difference between an electric and an electronic watch: Both are hybrid/semi mechanical-electric. The electric watches have movable electric parts, like switches etc., whilst the electronic watches have the new generation of solid state components inside, like diodes, transistors etc.

The quartz watches were already on the horizon when several attempts were made to increase precision based on the old techniques. With the Dynabeat, the frequency was increased and with the Timex Q quartz for example, a quartz was already setting the beat (at 32768 Hertz) but everything else inside was still electro-mechanical.

A similar thing happened with the tuning-fork watches. Bulova came out with the Accuquartz (not to be mixed up with the Accutron quartz, which is a normal quartz watch) when a quartz (also with the standard frequency of 32768 Hertz) regulated the tuning fork (360 Hertz in the Accutron), which became a passive element (with the odd rate of 341 1/3 Hertz - under control of a quartz).

It was really the race of the stage coach against the railway, which had to be lost in the end.

Oh yes, when you know something about a watch, you must have it. That's why I strictly ignore all information and technical background about the Patek Philippe Sky Moon Tourbillon, available for $1,000,000 plus.

Below is my Dynabeat, late 1970s, movement Timex cal. M254 (the date is wrong, I took an old image of the watch which was introduced here a while ago).
    Attached Images Attached Images

Last edited by Border-Reiver; September 13th, 2017 at 14:34.
    marks55, Alhawki12, Eeeb and 1 others like this.

Nice watch,

You should be able to regulate that watch to get better accuracy. A lot of folks knock Timex products but these Electric and Electronic Timexes were actually pretty reliable and great time keepers.

I have started collecting Electronic watches(such as Citizen Cosmotrons, Seiko Elnix and others). I have always had a love of tuning fork watches but have only recently started with the electro-mechanical watches.

You watch beats at 28,000 bph so it is considered a high beat watch with a nice machine gun like tica tica tica sound

Though the technology was short lived and replaced by quartz, the electronic and Electric watch technology was both interesting and highly promoted by watch and clock makers of the era. This technology found its way into a lot of clocks in the 1960's and 1970's. Seiko proudly placed Transistor on their electronic clocks.

Here is my gaudy early 1970's Japan Market Seiko transistor(electronic) clock. It runs well and has a button that you can hold down to sync it up with the atomic clock.

Interestingly enough, Quartz(the technology that replaced the tuning fork and electro-mech watches) is coming up on 48 years old this Dec so it has been around longer then the technology that it replaced.

Last edited by journeyforce; September 13th, 2017 at 15:01.

Thanks everyone! The watch does have a rather lively tick to it and I thought it was a sign that it was broken until I saw it keeps good time! Interestingly I do have a Timex Q quartz one almost the same style and it does not keep time as well as this one does!! Maybe the Q needs adjustments though!

Quote Originally Posted by journeyforce View Post
    Interestingly enough, Quartz(the technology that replaced the tuning fork and electro-mech watches) is coming up on 48 years old this Dec
    Quartz time keeping is 42 years older than you suggest.

Quote Originally Posted by FreddyNorton View Post
    Thanks everyone! The watch does have a rather lively tick to it and I thought it was a sign that it was broken until I saw it keeps good time! Interestingly I do have a Timex Q quartz one almost the same style and it does not keep time as well as this one does!! Maybe the Q needs adjustments though!
    I would say they both need servicing and/or adjustment, but considering how old they are, not bad. The last time I tracked it my "Big Q" was keeping within a few seconds a month.

Name:  IMG_20170824_100938601.jpg
Views: 687
Size:  499.2 KB
    Alhawki12 likes this.
    Contact Info:
    Telegram: MoT
    Text: 6124245149
    WhatsApp: +16124245149
    'You don't have to burn books to destroy a culture. Just get people to stop reading them.' - Ray Bradbury
    'Freedom is hammered out on the anvil of debate, discussion, and dissent.' - H.H.H.
    I love deals on watches!

Quote Originally Posted by FreddyNorton View Post
    A Timex Q Quartz must - by its construction - keep time better than the Dynabeat. The Dynabeat's regulation id based on 28.800 A/h equalling a meager 8 Hertz. The Q Quartz, although hybrid - electron mechanical, is regulated by a quartz swinging at 49152 Hertz, that is over 6000 times faster. Furthermore, the Q Quartz has a micro-computer inside able to sense and correct time-keeping varaitions. The unusual frequency has something to do with the fact that they had to come down to the correct reduction based on existing movements.

Conclusion: You either have no Q-Quartz with movement M63 or M64 (both balance: f = 21600 A/h - quartz : f = 49152 Hz or something is wrong with your watch.

Whatever, a Dynabeat is something nice to have, because not only the price is important, but also unusual constructions and bridge-technologies. Although Timex has made one billion (1,000,000,000 !) watches between 1950 and 1980, it is hard to find watches in pristine condition, as Timex watches were made to wear, not to collect.

Here is mine (Q Quartz). I use these ugly NATO straps when I am testing watches worn a day on the wrist.

Last edited by Border-Reiver; September 14th, 2017 at 10:32.
    parrotandpitbull likes this.

Mine would like to join in, if that's OK with you guys.

Regards.

Zenith Forum Co-moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Border-Reiver View Post
    The Dynabeat's regulation id based on 28.800 A/h equalling a meager 8 Hertz.
    28800 A/h (Alternance/heure) is 28800 half beats, making 14400 full oscillations. And that's 4Hz, not 8!

As for quartz technology, as matlobi pointed out, this is comparatively ancient. It was originally developed in the 1920s. It just took rather a long time to get it small enough to fit in a wrist watch.

Hartmut Richter
    ManOnTime likes this.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information