Timex Electric - Page 2
Like Tree40Likes

Thread: Timex Electric

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Re: Timex Electric

Quote Originally Posted by GeneJockey View Post
    That reminds me of the scene in The Addams Family, when Gomez decides to be his own lawyer:

"It is said that a man who acts as his own lawyer has a fool for a client. AS GOD IS MY WITNESS, I AM THAT FOOL!"

Haha, that is awesome!
    "Time flies when you're throwing watches."
    What has a man profited, if he gains the whole world yet forfeits his soul? Mt16:26
    IG: @BuyingOnTime

Hi there,

Quote Originally Posted by Shum View Post
    ....but they both sound like the rotors are loose inside
    They don't only sound loose, they are loose right from the factory.
    The rotor is kept (roughly) in the center by a riveted post running in the hole of a bridge, and three plastic heads keep it (roughly) in parallel to the plate. And the ingenious is: The more shake the post gets in its hole due to wear, the more efficient the rotor winds the watch.

The mechainsm is described here
    bidfun-db Archive: Watch Movements: Timex M31
    and I can't help, I've never seen a more sophisticated automatic design.

Regards, Roland Ranfft
    JP71624, Eeeb and Popoki Nui like this.

Nice work! Here's my two that I got working:

Name:  ImageUploadedByTapatalk 21372305613.202574.jpg
Views: 469
Size:  87.2 KB
    Shum likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

That is great and you too have one like mine with what looks to be the original strap. Can it be that these Electrics hold up better over time then quarts watches?

Quote Originally Posted by Roland Ranfft View Post
    Hi there,

They don't only sound loose, they are loose right from the factory.
    The rotor is kept (roughly) in the center by a riveted post running in the hole of a bridge, and three plastic heads keep it (roughly) in parallel to the plate. And the ingenious is: The more shake the post gets in its hole due to wear, the more efficient the rotor winds the watch.

The mechainsm is described here
    bidfun-db Archive: Watch Movements: Timex M31
    and I can't help, I've never seen a more sophisticated automatic design.

Regards, Roland Ranfft
    Wow! That is special indeed. Next time I see one on sale I'll shake in front of the seller and ask for the price to be slahed (na I'm not that mean). :)
    Last edited by Shum; June 27th, 2013 at 10:16.

Quote Originally Posted by Shum View Post
    That is great and you too have one like mine with what looks to be the original strap. Can it be that these Electrics hold up better over time then quarts watches?...)
    Electrics have a balance wheel and are basically still mechanical timed watches. They just don't need to be wound every day... just battery replacements. Their advertising sometimes reflected that. They died a natural death after the quartz revolution (like pin levers did... actually pin levers hung around longer due to their low manufacturing cost).
    "Forever is composed of nows." - Emily Dickinson

"The watch has to be surrounded by a history.
    You need more than just a great design. You need to create an atmosphere around the product.
    Who is the company behind it? Why are they using this material?
    People need to be able to identify the watch with themselves. It's based on emotion." - Ralph Furter

...that's just my opinion and I've been wrong before and will be again and might be now!

Lose rotors

Somtimes the rotor does actually get a little loose. Older models from the late 1950s make more noise than the Timex automatics from the 60s and 70s. I know that some of my friends on the Timex Forum would try to stake or punch the rivit to make it tighter. While I have never tried that, I have on occasion "super-glued" the weight back on to the rotor assembly of a few Timex. I know a lot of folks make fun of Timex, but they are a great watch for a beginner to get experience/confidence in working on watches. I personally started on Timex, and then moved on to higher grades of wrist and pocket watches, and clocks.

Timex Electrics are a pain because they wear out in strange places. Check out the wear on this one:
    Name:  frenchelectric2.jpg
Views: 426
Size:  112.1 KB

Also they come in so many cool styles. Here are a few of mine:
    Name:  backsets.jpg
Views: 586
Size:  148.5 KB

The one on the bottom right was designed by Richard Arbib, who designed many watches like the Ventura and Pacer for Hamilton (according to his son, who emailed me in hopes of buying mine). Also, you'll notice the tiny dot above or below the number in the date window denotes AM or PM.

Ron
    Shum likes this.

Re: Lose rotors

Those automatics sure sound fun. After reading what you have to say about them I'm not to sure about diving into them just yet. :)

The one bottomn right is a model 67 right? I actually have one of those (West Germany) laying on the table waiting for me to test it's fuinktionality but should I be extra careful with this model?

The AM, PM dot was new to me and nice to know.

I also have a really fat Electric (Oops that was a big fat dynabeat) but haven't looked closer at it yet because it's lost it's battery cover.

Vintage Timex are masters of design and especially their dials (just look at yours...wow) are second to none and i just love them to bits but I'm no collector so I will fix em then ship em...After using them for a awhile first of course. :)
    Last edited by Shum; June 29th, 2013 at 01:30.

Hi Ron,

Quote Originally Posted by RonD. View Post
    The one on the bottom right was designed by Richard Arbib
    I don't know who designed it, but Timex bought the design together with the whole Laco/Durowe company. The Timex M67 was actually a renamed Durowe 861:
    bidfun-db Archive: Watch Movements: Durowe 861

When this first German electrical wrist-watch calibre was produced, Laco/Durowe already belonged to Timex, but early samples of these watches were still signend as Laco on dial and movement, and came with this particular case like this one: bidfun-db Archive: Wrist Watches: 247: Laco Electric Dynabeat, First German Electrical Wrist Watch, 1961

Many believe that Timex bought Laco/Durowe to have a quick start with electric movements. And it can be regarded as proof that they passed the mechanical-movement division (Durowe) to Switzerland pretty soon.

@Shum:
    Quote Originally Posted by Shum
    I actually have one of those (West Germany) laying on the table waiting for me to test it's fuinktionality but should I be extra careful with this model?
    Don't worry, except the delicate contacts this movement is bulletproof.

Regards, Roland Ranfft
    Attached Images Attached Images

Last edited by Roland Ranfft; June 29th, 2013 at 05:12. Reason: Tried to erase the attached image - no success.

Just curious, is my Dynabeat in any way different from the regular Electrics? Just a model name or actually different. This is an interesting thread. And by the by, RonD, I think that watch designed by Arbib is great. The blue Marbled dial is nice too.

Re: Loose rotors

Yeah the dial has a linen look to it. I do believe the date on this is from around 1961. I think it has 11 jewels. You may notice that those were back-sets. I always liked wearing them and having someone ask me "how do you wind it, or set the time? lol
    Name:  oldbackset1.jpg
Views: 438
Size:  119.6 KB

Roland, I am not 100% sure of the designer.. but did have many emails from a guy who said his father designed it. I suppose it is possible. If you do a search, you can see where Arbib designed cars and other items.

Ron

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread Information