Timex Electric - Page 4
Like Tree40Likes

Thread: Timex Electric

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4

Re: Timex Electric

Quote Originally Posted by Shum View Post
    The one on your arm is just gorgeous with it's old style criss cross dial but at the same time sharp and looking to the future. I can't decide if Timex watches look like a million dollars or makes you feel like million dollare when you wear them.

Everyone should try out a vintage Timex Electric for it's something special and every time I go to strap it on I wonder if it still working and everytime I find it is I just feel happy.

I got several hundred watches but only use my old Timex. It could be that I'm just a $5 guy or that it makes me feel conectets with the past somehow.
    I paid $15 for the silver one, $10 for the flex band and like you said: I find it just makes me happy when I put it on. It's so cool!
    Paid $10 for the gold one but it's going to need a service, it's slowing down on me. The cost of the service as we all know will be more than the cost of the watch, but that's o.k.
    I loves these watches.
    Last edited by howards4th; July 2nd, 2013 at 20:45.
    OCDood likes this.

Name:  PB050034.jpg
Views: 123
Size:  101.0 KB
    Here is my latest working Electric and it's a looker. And this is the first Electric I have serviced so it a feather in my cap and I'm so proud.

Name:  PB050010.jpg
Views: 126
Size:  145.8 KB
    It almost ended in disaster though.... Look at the picture and you see that long thin wire sticking up. It was caught in a guard plate when I almost was finished and should really be pointing straight at the center of the balance staff and it was torn out of it's holder. Thankfully it stayed straight so I managed to get it back into the holder and pointing the right way again. The reason the watch wasn't working in the first place was that the tip of that wire had gotten oxidation on it as it carries current to the electromagnet every half turn of the balance and over time you get sparking as it acts like a switch.
    James A, JP71624, Marrick and 1 others like this.

Congrats! You should be proud! It's great to keep these Electrics going isn't it?!

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by howards4th View Post
    Congrats! You should be proud! It's great to keep these Electrics going isn't it?!
    Thanks! Yes it's so nice to bring a watch like this back from death and I'm surprised how easy it was to work on and after the near miss it keeps time more or less perfect and I had my first outing with it today. I had the balance out 4 time just to see if it really was so easy to put back and it sure was. You just screw the top plate on loosely then slide in the balance so it drop into place and it's done.

There are no electronics in these old Electrics and as long as the setting gear is not to stiff one can get them going with some simple cleaning and oiling of the fork slot, balanse pivots and bearings and cleaning (no oil!) of the contact spring tip so no need to take the wheel assembly apart.

You don't need to remove the movement from the case to do this so no need popping off the crystal unless you want to clean the dial or do a full service (Some older models have the back glued on so no short cut with them though)
    Last edited by Shum; November 6th, 2014 at 21:01.

Name:  goodjob.gif
Views: 104
Size:  881 Bytes
    Everybody is ignorant, only on different subjects."

Will Rogers (1879 - 1935)

Please don't PM me to ask for a valuation - I won't attempt one.

Quote Originally Posted by Shum View Post
    Thanks! Yes it's so nice to bring a watch like this back from death and I'm surprised how easy it was to work on and after the near miss it keeps time more or less perfect and I had my first outing with it today. I had the balance out 4 time just to see if it really was so easy to put back and it sure was. You just screw the top plate on loosely then slide in the balance so it drop into place and it's done.

There are no electronis in these old Electrics and as long as the setting gear is not to stiff one can get them going with some simple cleaning and oiling of the fork slot, balanse pivots and bearings and cleaning (no oil!) of the contact spring tip so no need to take the wheel assembly apart.

You don't need to remove the movement from the case to do this so no need popping off the crystal unless you want to clean the dial or do a full service (Some older models have the back glued on so no short cut with them though)
    You got me thinking; perhaps I can get this one up and running like it should. It's been losing about 5min in 24hr period. I just took out the battery yesterday because it stopped.
    Name:  Gold elec.JPG
Views: 120
Size:  115.9 KB
    Thanks for the info. Shum, I may be bugging you soon.

Chris
    Shum likes this.

Just download this PDF file and follow the instructions on how one removes the balance and as I said you don't really need to remove the movement to make the watch work and they actually say that you don't need to take apart the wheel assembly.
    http://static.miklos.ca/docs/TIMEX_movement_40.pdf

I used moebius HP-1300 oil but any similar oil would do.
    howards4th likes this.

I know the thread is long dormant but I just wanted to say thanks. It helped me get this Stowa electric going again. Came with the original Laco 861. Because of the state of it, I had to buy a donor that happened to be the later timex m67. Was no small effort to get it running. Happy to say it’s keeping pretty good time now!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

When it comes to watches, old threads like this can be very helpful. Timex watches might not be super easy but Electrics are rather fun to work on.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4

Thread Information