Like Tree16Likes
  • 7 Post By jimdon5822
  • 2 Post By ManOnTime
  • 2 Post By Border-Reiver
  • 1 Post By jimdon5822
  • 4 Post By balaton

Thread: Timex Experiment

Timex Experiment

I picked up several old Timex watches in jewelry jars lately. They have been some really interesting 70s style watches but we're not running. This One in particular was really cool but would just tick a few times before stopping. I tried a little experiment where I soaked the movement in lighter fluid to clean it. I then replaced the lighter fluid and added in a very small drop of WD-40 with it. I then dipped the watch in it then removed it to air dry. My theory is that the lighter fluid will evaporator and put a very fine layer of WD-40 on the contact points. The crazy thing is the watch is running beautifully now and has been keeping accurate time for two weeks. Now don't get me wrong I would not do it on a nice watch but it was an interesting experiment. Here is the Watch. I would love to see if someone else could try it on an old junk Timex and see if they have the same results.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by jimdon5822; September 17th, 2017 at 16:27.

Re: Timex Experiment

sounds like a sorecere's apprentice move, but it's very impressive it resuscitated the movement!

Good job! I love 1970's Timex and own several ones, truly a glorious age!

Nicolas

The "dunk and swish" in naptha/lighter fluid is pretty well known to the Timex community, but it's usually followed by a disassembly and lubrication. I haven't heard of your approach, but it's great that it worked!

By the way, here is the service manual to the movement that is most likely in that watch: https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B-...1prdHhzTEZwcDQ
    jimdon5822 and brandon\ like this.
    Contact Info:
    Telegram: MoT
    Text: 6124245149
    WhatsApp: +16124245149
    'You don't have to burn books to destroy a culture. Just get people to stop reading them.' - Ray Bradbury
    'Freedom is hammered out on the anvil of debate, discussion, and dissent.' - H.H.H.
    I love deals on watches!

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Jimdon. Very interesting. I have a few Timex in beautiful condition that keep time haltingly and was hoping to try some version of dunk and swish. I'd like to give yours a try. Can you give me a little more detail. Was it difficult to remove the dial? Any problems you ran into? How long did you keep it in the fluids each time? Thanks?

First of all, interesting and thanks for sharing something out of the ordinary.

People do similar things with pocket watches, putting them completely into cleaning alcohol with the case open. A little moving around and then let the stuff evaporate. The gear train and everything else moving should be clean, a sticky hairspring taken care of and everything should last until it went away at ebay and a few days thereafter to get a postive feedback.

As the old Timex slogan said: It takes a licking and keeps on ticking. Why should a service be more complicated...

In my younger days, problems in the gearbox of a car to be sold were taken care of with saw-dust mixed into the transmission-oil. That had lasted for several test drives.
    Last edited by Border-Reiver; September 17th, 2017 at 19:22.
    jimdon5822 and redcow like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Giotime View Post
    Jimdon. Very interesting. I have a few Timex in beautiful condition that keep time haltingly and was hoping to try some version of dunk and swish. I'd like to give yours a try. Can you give me a little more detail. Was it difficult to remove the dial? Any problems you ran into? How long did you keep it in the fluids each time? Thanks?
    I actually just took the movement out and put the whole thing in aa shallow bath of lighter fluid for 10 minutes. I made sure it was wound up because once it gets in the fluid the movement starts running and this helps cleaning the movement. I then took it out and put a drop of WD-40 mixed in with a new fresh bath of lighter fluid. I leave it in there just for a minute. I take it out then let it air dry for about 30 minutes. I then cleaned off the dial and the movement of any excess WD-40 and re-case it. This by no means is to replace a real service. Just something to try on a beater watch.

Giotime likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Border-Reiver View Post
    First of all, interesting and thanks for sharing something out of the ordinary.

In my younger days, problems in the gearbox of a car to be sold were taken care of with saw-dust mixed into the transmission-oil. That had lasted for several test drives.
    Think I bought a few of your cars.

Hi. Great post. I have a vintage bullsye Timex that i love. I would like to try you method. Did you remove any hands, or the dial? Did you remove the movement from the case?
    thank you

Quote Originally Posted by wadsbrau View Post
    Hi. Great post. I have a vintage bullsye Timex that i love. I would like to try you method. Did you remove any hands, or the dial? Did you remove the movement from the case?
    thank you
    I do take the movement out of the case and then I soak it in a shallow bath that just covers the movement only. I’ve had good luck with it but do it at your own risk.

Thread Information