Timex Falcon ID help

Thread: Timex Falcon ID help

Vint. Forum Co-Moderator Mirius's Avatar

Timex Falcon ID help

I have to admit to knowing very little about Timex, so I'd like any help that could be offered in identifying more about this watch.

The date code in the caseback is N7 which I understand is 1960. It's an auto-wind but I don't know what the calibre is. The second hand is growing corrosion which I'd like to clean off, but I can't even see how the stem removes! The watch is about 35mm which is a nice size on my wrist.

Thanks for any help!
    Last edited by Mirius; October 4th, 2011 at 23:39.

Re: Timex Falcon ID help

Definitely not a Timex movement I'm familiar with.
    Can't find it in the Ranfft guide either.

But sure some more expert opinions will provide some insight.
    I've got more Converse sneakers than watches, but it is a close race.

Yeah, that is a Timex from the pre-1962 days. This movement is basically a #22 with a rotor platform. It would be called a #29 movement.

To get the movement out, you need to remove that retaining wire. I have taken lots of these apart, and find it is easier if you take the rotor platform off (I guess you really don't need to but it is a lot easier if you do). If you don't want to remove the rotor platform, then pull that wire out one side at a time and then rotate the rotor to the other side so you can pull it out the rest of the way. Note which side is "up" on the wire as you remove it and set it aside.

Once you get the platform off (I usually put the screws that hold the platform in back in the holes, otherwise you only have two screws holding the movement plates together) then you can loosen the screw on the spring that holds the stem in a little, lift up on the set lever that holds the stem in by using a tiny screw driver, and pull the stem out. Sometimes you can lift up on the set lever without loosening the spring and it will move up enough to allow the stem to come out.

If you need more details, here is a link to the manual. It will show you how to remove the stem:
    http://timex.digidep.net/manuals/mov...2-23-26-29.pdf

My buddies on The Timex Forum - The TIMEX Watch Forum would love to see that watch since I don't think we ever had a Timex with Falcon on the dial. Also, in case anyone else is interested, we uploaded pdf files of all the manuals we had to help folks that want to do their own work on Timex watches.

Cheers,
    Ron
    Last edited by RonD.; October 5th, 2011 at 05:44.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Vint. Forum Co-Moderator Mirius's Avatar

Thanks John, any help is always appreciated.

Ron, perfect, just what I was looking for. The rotor is floppy and I'm not sure it's got much power reserve so I'm tempted to strip it, but I'm a little hesitant to do so on my first Timex. Might have to have a go on another one I've got lurking and intended to resell.

I did have a browse through the Timex forum and got one hit on Falcon as there was a ladies movement on ebay at one point. I also looked at the long list of manual pdf's and decided it was too late at night to try downloading them at random. I'll register and cross post over there later.

Sounds great... btw, no need to register, just browse around and post if you like. Ron

Thread Information