Timex pocket watch.. don't know what it is but i love it!!

Thread: Timex pocket watch.. don't know what it is but i love it!!

Timex pocket watch.. don't know what it is but i love it!!

Hello!

I just bought this tiny timex "pocket watch? ", and i'm wondering when it was made... It's a wind-up and it says "Great Britain" at the bottom, other than that there is nothing.. not even on the inside, other than "Great Britain" again.
    sorry for the low quality pic, i guess i got carried away with the rescaling. :oops:

Anyway tell me what you think.

Re: Timex pocket watch.. don't know what it is but i love it!!

Thanks for posting. It was probably made at the Timex factory in Dundee Scotland - maybe in the 1960s. This plant was closed in the 1990s.

There are fathers who do not love their children; there is no grandfather who does not adore his grandson. ~ Victor Hugo

Thanks for the info Mr. Ray!

Anything else i should know?

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Mod. Russian, China Mech. Chascomm's Avatar

How is the watch secured to the person? I don't see a bow for a chain. Could this be a nurse's watch i.e. with an attach point below the 6?

What is the size of the watch? This will have a bearing on the serviceability of the watch. There were 2 basic hand-winding movements in common use back then. The smaller one was essentially disposable. the larger one could be disassembled for a full service (although many watchmakers will tell you otherwise).

As a child I was given a Taiwan-built Timex with a Dundee-built case. It has taken an incredible beating and yet the chrome is still in excellent condition. I also have a very tired-looking Dumbarton-built Westclox with similarly well-preserved plating. I wonder what it is about Scottish chrome that makes it so much tougher than American, Swiss, Russian etc?

HMT are still making a hand wound pocket watch as well as a nurse watch. I will try and post the photos shortly. Any other companies still making them?
    Cheers!
    Gansan

The Titan Moon Phase

Quote Originally Posted by gansanspic View Post
    HMT are still making a hand wound pocket watch as well as a nurse watch. I will try and post the photos shortly. Any other companies still making them?
    Tissot always has one in the line. In the States there is an encaser called Belair that does it. Nowadays those are quartz. There are a number of Asians.

The top ones today come from boutique watch companies that take the Eta 13 1/2''' movement and enhance it. Low volume and hard to find and not cheap.

Out there are so many vintage American pocket watches that would be darned difficult to make half as good for twice the money they actually sell for... Once folks realize that the lure of new mechanicals diminishes.
    "Forever is composed of nows." - Emily Dickinson

"The watch has to be surrounded by a history.
    You need more than just a great design. You need to create an atmosphere around the product.
    Who is the company behind it? Why are they using this material?
    People need to be able to identify the watch with themselves. It's based on emotion." - Ralph Furter

...that's just my opinion and I've been wrong before and will be again and might be now!

Hiyah,
    The whole thing is a little over an inch across (1.37") and as for attaching, please see the illustration:

Nurse's watch?

Mod. Russian, China Mech. Chascomm's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by tempogen View Post
    Nurse's watch?
    Definitely.

And it probably has the calibre M104 inside.

Here is the visually identical M100 of a similar vintage:

Which reminds me that I need to pick up one of these from the watchmaker today.

Thread Information