Timex Repair Snag
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By thoth

Thread: Timex Repair Snag

Timex Repair Snag

So I posted that I had sent Fred the military Timex I had picked up. I got it back yesterday and he had even put a band on it for me. But there is a snag....wrong case. I called him right away to let him know there was an issue. The one I bought and sent was a Nov 81 case and the one that arrived back was a May 82. He explained that he has multiples of that case and must have accidentally gotten them mixed up. I trust him as he has a very good reputation and we have had some good long talks.

So he said "Well if you prefer the 81 case send it back and I will switch it out and reimburse you for the postage." This is fair and I have the watch ready to box up. Now I remember that most were marked Feb 82 and Mar 82. This is a May 82 which, like the Nov 81 seems to be out of the ordinary. But the condition of the May 82 care is rather remarkable.

What I sent....

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	s-l1600 (1).jpg 
Views:	87 
Size:	79.5 KB 
ID:	12657861

Name:	s-l1600 (2).jpg 
Views:	82 
Size:	97.7 KB 
ID:	12657863

What arrived back....

Name:	20171115_090001.jpg 
Views:	93 
Size:	1,023.5 KB 
ID:	12657871

Name:	20171115_090045.jpg 
Views:	90 
Size:	1.12 MB 
ID:	12657877

Name:	20171115_090011.jpg 
Views:	94 
Size:	987.3 KB 
ID:	12657883

Name:	20171115_090100.jpg 
Views:	94 
Size:	974.7 KB 
ID:	12657887

Fred did the work as a thank you for the good number of parts I sent him. So I don't want to seem ungrateful as the watch is running great. It is almost like it was put in a NOS case with a NOS crystal. I have the option to keep it as it is now. The other sang is the minute hand. The seconds hand was replaced with the same correct one but in better condition, but the min hand was replaced with one with lume darkening.

So what would you do? Send it back and have him put it back in the Nov 81 case and find the right min hand? Just say, it is still an odd date and the case is a bit better? Lume does go at some point anyways?

Re: Timex Repair Snag

I'd keep it. It's nicer.
    Thank you, I'm flattered, but, please don't click any "Likes" for me (unless there's a prize for "most likes")?

I'd probably want my original one back. Thing is, I don't know if they were ever used by the military, so it may be better to have the nicer one, but I still question the mix-up. How can you get a completely different watch back? As far as the center hand goes, you certainly don't need a new hand, just needs to be painted white again.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by RonD. View Post
    I'd probably want my original one back. Thing is, I don't know if they were ever used by the military, so it may be better to have the nicer one, but I still question the mix-up. How can you get a completely different watch back? As far as the center hand goes, you certainly don't need a new hand, just needs to be painted white again.
    It went out in the last mail run yesterday. I had a good chat with Fred and he said he will call me when it arrives.

The military issue Timex were issued.

I am going to see if I can get the case and hands back to the ones I sent except the seconds hand....the one he used was factory NOS. The hand is not just white...it has lume at the tip and maybe the length stopping just before the round center. Or at that that is what I thought I saw when examining it.

Sent from my SM-G920R4 using Tapatalk
    busmatt likes this.

Thread Information