Timex Self-Wind - Magnetized?
Like Tree10Likes

Thread: Timex Self-Wind - Magnetized?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Timex Self-Wind - Magnetized?

I recently purchased an old Timex Self-Wind with the U.S.Time Corporation mark on the back and it arrived in the mail today. I wouldn't have given it a second look if not for the US. Time logo, but it looked good cosmetically and it was only $29.99.

There isn't any brassing on the case or scratches on the crystal I can see, but it doesn't want to run and when it does, it runs at twice the speed it should. 3 minutes fast in 3 minutes. I don't see how to get the back off or I might try adjusting it but am really not in the mood to mess with it. I got 2 Russian watches in the mail today and am already going to have to attach the second hand on one, but it's worth keeping.

I'm stressed out ATM and prone to making a rash decision so I'll probably give it some thought, but am of the mind to raise an issue and ask for my money back. I don't want to sink any more money into it but by the time I paid $5 shipping to get it and $5 to send it back I'll already have an extra $10 in it.

I'd be interested in hearing the opinions of other members before I make a final decision on it. Is it worth keeping or should I send it back while I can? It's not a bad looking watch but I wouldn't miss it.

Re: Timex Self-Wind - Magnetized?

3 minutes fast in 3 minutes is NOT a running watch --> (actually it IS running the 4 minute mile--> LOL)
    In my opinion DEMAND your money back INCLUDING shipping and return
    If seller refuses -> Raise an eBay claim
    He will IMMEDIATELY return all your money
    Unless he stated such HUGE inaccuracy

Regards
    Last edited by HOROLOGIST007; July 5th, 2013 at 21:20.
    OCDood likes this.
    NEVER ARGUE WITH AN IDIOT. FIRST THEY WILL DRAG YOU DOWN TO THEIR LEVEL. THEN, THEY WILL BEAT YOU WITH EXPERIENCE.

"Failure is not an option" - Gene Kranz
    "Owning a vintage watch is great, understanding where it sits in Horology is magnificent"
    and
    "By Teaching Others, We Teach Ourselves"
    Adam

Thanks, that's what I thought. I just didn't want to fly off the handle and make a rash decision.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by OCDood View Post
    Thanks, that's what I thought. I just didn't want to fly off the handle and make a rash decision.
    No not at all.
    I would do that
    OCDood likes this.
    NEVER ARGUE WITH AN IDIOT. FIRST THEY WILL DRAG YOU DOWN TO THEIR LEVEL. THEN, THEY WILL BEAT YOU WITH EXPERIENCE.

"Owning a vintage watch is great, understanding where it sits in Horology is magnificent"
    and
    Adam

I contacted the seller under the premise that the item was not as described and it automatically opened a case of some sort with the resolution center. I asked for my money back with shipping and they have till the 11th to respond. I can't see them not relenting.

Quote Originally Posted by OCDood View Post
    I contacted the seller under the premise that the item was not as described and it automatically opened a case of some sort with the resolution center. I asked for my money back with shipping and they have till the 11th to respond. I can't see them not relenting.
    They will
    I know as a seller I would - keep us informed
    Regards
    OCDood likes this.

and
    Adam

Vint. Forum Co-Moderator Mirius's Avatar

I too would expect the seller to take the watch back - I have when something like this happens. I would note however that this could have happened in the post especially if it's been handled badly en route. Aside from being magnetised during shipping it isn't unheard of for the hairspring to get caught up on the stud and this can make it run very fast. It's a pity that you can't open it up as it might be a very simple fix (though in either case it may need the attention of a watchmaker to effect a proper fix). Good luck!
    OCDood likes this.

That was the 6th watch I've bought off that seller and it's about a 50-50 chance of getting a great deal or not so much. 2 of my nicest Vostoks have come from them at a good price.

Then I won a Komandirskie for $13 that I had to take apart and fix, and still runs slow, but it had a pristine case and crystal, and I couldn't buy them anywhere else for $13, so I kept it. I bought the Delbana I posted about a couple weeks ago from them too. It was an automatic but the rotor was gone when I got it. You could wind it up though and I regulated it so it keeps good time. I only paid about $10.49 for it so I didn't make an issue of it either.

In fact, this is the only time I've ever made an issue of any watch I've bought, but there was no way to make it good or I would have just dealt with it. I fixed the Vostok I bought today that needed the second hand reattached and am happy with it.

It's a Timex...i.e, cheap rugged pin-pallet watch based on the Roskopff design. Most sellers make no claims of performance for unserviced watches; if you expected a 40 year old watch to work properly right out of the mail, you may have been expecting too much, even of a Timex. Do you not have a watchmaker who can take a quick look at it?
    My growing collection of "affordable" vintages: http://www.abslomrob.com

I agree with AbslomRob. My watchmaker happens to make minor adjustments such as regulation and demagnetization for free...if one were to charge, I can't imagine they'd be more than 5 bucks. I'd certainly save myself the headache and take it to my watchmaker instead. Also, as ones vintage collection is growing to the triple digits, a 30 bucks investment to a demagnitizer is a no-brainer.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information