Tissot Automatic Seastar, stoped ticking after a small drop! advice please, worth fixing?

Thread: Tissot Automatic Seastar, stoped ticking after a small drop! advice please, worth fixing?

Tissot Automatic Seastar, stoped ticking after a small drop! advice please, worth fixing?

I have a Tissot Seastar that I would like to get working again, I dropped it on to a wooden table only from a small hight but it stopped it ticking and has not run since, can anyone advise on what could of been damaged?

Movement - 2571 - 15475064

Back - 46660-3x

Dial - Tissot Swiss Automatic Seastar

Re: Tissot Automatic Seastar, stoped ticking after a small drop! advice please, worth fixi

Sorry to hear about your misfortune. I am no expert but I will try to help until the experts chime in. The watchmaking forum may be a better place to post your question but here it goes.

There are a few things that can go wrong when you drop a watch.

First: the balance staff can be damaged or broken. The balance staff in your Tissot is protected by an incabloc shock absorbing system. This system is pretty popular in post WWII watches so they must do a good job. What I don't know is whether balances are still damaged sometimes even with incabloc. It would seem to me that certain angles of impact could still be damaging to the balance even with a shock system.

Second: Other pivots can be damaged or broken. Most commonly the finest pivots are in the most danger. These are of course the ends of the lever (or pallet) and the escape wheel.

Third: The balance can "over bank". In this condition the pallet fork ends up outside the impulse jewel and the balance jams. Watches have parts that are suppose to prevent this from happening, but if a part were worn, damaged, or improperly installed then I suppose it is possible.

There are probably other possibilities that I haven't thought of...I suggest taking it to a watchmaker rather than risk making anything worse.

Good Luck...Let us know how it turns out.

Re: Tissot Automatic Seastar, stoped ticking after a small drop! advice please, worth fixi

I'd advise getting it to a watchmaker to look at!!

Hopefully, it won't be anything too serious?!!

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Since you have the back open, give the watch a bit of "twist" and watch the balance wheel carefully. If it swings back and forth smoothly, the problem is probably in one of the other gear pivots. If it doesn't move (or moves only a bit, and roughly) then likely the balance staff is broken. If it swings a bit in one direction, but then seems to stop suddenly on its way back, then likely the fall caused the pallet to unlock and "tick" without the balance wheel. This is similar to overbanking, and requires that the balance be lifted up a bit and reseated correctly. Don't try it yourself unless you know what you're doing though...if the hairspring gets tangled, repairs start to get expensive.
    My growing collection of "affordable" vintages: http://www.abslomrob.com

Hi, Thanks for your help, The hands still manually move freely and the balance weight moves but may be not as freely as it should do! and the winder feels tight, I think it is possibly almost fully wound?
    The balance wheel and hairspring look ok and wobble back and fourth, but not enough to tick when the watch is shaken slightly,
    I also released the clicker when holding the tension to try to release the mainspring but the winding wheel did not move, I have done this on other watches but could of been doing something wrong? or could this be a clue to whats broken?

I do fix simple watches so would like to understand what's broken on this watch. I wont be trying anything complicated until confident to do so!

Thanks
    Last edited by mataos; January 5th, 2011 at 23:48.

Some Autos will not release power when you hold the click away to allow the barrel to turn. Our procedure is to remove the Auto winding assembly in order to let down power. It may be fully wound, but as it is an auto, it cannot be damaged by winding past full, because the bridle on the mainspring will slip inside the barrel. My impression is that you may have a broken balance staff or pivot in the train, possibly the escape wheel, or as Rob said, the lever has gone out of bounds and the roller jewel is not in the horns of the pallet fork. This requires disassembly of the balance from the plate and then reassembly, but it has to be done properly. Your balance cock is on the right, so the pallet fork must be under a small amount of power and held inwards, that is, towards the interior of the movt. Carefully, by holding the balance cock with tweezers, insert the lower pivot of the balance by letting it hang and wobble, into the lower shock jewel ass'y. You need to do this with the balance cock swung away from its mooring, ie, to the left. Rotating the cock to the right will place it where it needs to go, and will cause the pallet fork to move outward, engaging the roller jewel, and the top shock ass'y can be carefully lowered onto the top pivot. This does not always work the first time, and although the balance will seem to be sitting correctly, it will not swing back and forth, and will seem to 'hit' something, that is, not swing freely. Then the operation must be repeated. You must not touch the hairspring, nor allow it to touch anything, like the teeth of a wheel, for example. It is easier to show than to describe. If you are not comfortable doing this, I strongly recommend taking it to a watchmaker. This may not even be the problem, and if your escape wheel is broken, it will not work regardless.

Thread Information