Tissot Mechanical Wristwatch 1960s?
Like Tree14Likes

Thread: Tissot Mechanical Wristwatch 1960s?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Exclamation Tissot Mechanical Wristwatch 1960s?

Name:  image.jpeg
Views: 156
Size:  70.5 KB
    Could someone help me find some info on this watch?
    I believe it's a mechanical wristwatch produced in the early 60s
    Thanks
    bobbee and Shum like this.

Banned
    According to Accutronitis and his BFF I live in Berkshire, but really I live in Derbyshire

Re: Tissot Mechanical Wristwatch 1960s?

Hi, good looking watch you have there.
    You will need to take off the case back and look up the serial number on the movement, then get back to us or check on any of several sites dealing with Tissot serial numbers. Simply google "Tissot Serial Numbers" to find them.

Cheers and welcome to F11, Bob.
    busmatt likes this.

That's a specimen from the early 1960s alright. With that logo, I'd assume ca.1962, give or take two years. But as Bobbee said, open the watch up (shouldn't be hard to do that), and look up the serial.
    busmatt likes this.
    I have great faith in fools; self-confidence my friends call it.
    Edgar Allan Poe

If liberty means anything at all, it means the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.
    George Orwell

(...)but that's what mankind is like: they only prize what they no longer possess.
    Erich Maria Remarque

For any inquiries regarding vintage Doxa watches, please read the highlighted text in my vintage Doxa thread. Sorry, but I will not respond to PMs on the matter.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

TISSOT - my favorite brand between TIMEX and ROLEX

The serial number on the movement (will be 7 digits, anywhere between 4 and 7 million, for that time-period) will provide an accurate dating of the watch. There should also be a 3 digit number on the movement, giving the caliber.

Here is one of mine, automatic, serial number 6702549, from 1964/1965, movement cal. 783
    Attached Images Attached Images

Last edited by Border-Reiver; February 9th, 2016 at 14:03.
    bobbee, Shum and busmatt like this.

Re: Opening the case back.

If you find something as shown in the image below, don't even think of opening the watch without the right tool. It will most likely become scratched and messed up.

This is more or less also valid for other types of screw-down casebacks and even snap-on case backs as well.

If the case-back (screw-down only) does not sit too tight, you can try this (also cheaply available et eBay):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XurACI4qIO8

Otherwise, have a watchmaker doing it, he should not charge you anything for it.
    Attached Images Attached Images

busmatt likes this.

Hi, I specialize in these types of tissot watches. I can tell you that was made in 1962 and has an identical 'brother' that has a champagne face and gold around the outside of the face. This gold one is unbelievably rare (only a few were made in the world) and can fetch £6,000+ At auction. Some of the previous comments are slightly wrong in the sense that the serial number is located just above the strap on tiny writing for this specific model. Absolutely beautiful watch!

John

Quote Originally Posted by Watchgeek53 View Post
    Hi, I specialize in these types of tissot watches. I can tell you that was made in 1962 and has an identical 'brother' that has a champagne face and gold around the outside of the face. This gold one is unbelievably rare (only a few were made in the world) and can fetch £6,000+ At auction. Some of the previous comments are slightly wrong in the sense that the serial number is located just above the strap on tiny writing for this specific model. Absolutely beautiful watch!

John
    For this specific watch: No serial number on the movement? No caliber number on the movement? All of my Tissots have these markings. Is there a Tissot movement inside and if so, which one?

And what concerns the fantastic price for the 'champagne face with gold around' version, I always understood that '£' stands for BRITISH Pounds ???
    Last edited by Border-Reiver; February 9th, 2016 at 17:19.
    busmatt likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Watchgeek53 View Post

John
    Tissot watches ALWAYS have a serial number on the movement. 1930s-1940s ones had it just next to the balance, eventually the serials were "moved" to the bridges later in the production run of the cal. 27 family. Tissot resigned from the case serial number system in the mid 1940s, and replaced it with a case reference number system much like the other company of the same holding- Omega.
    Quite possibly some later watches could have an additional case serial, no doubt that a short-lived anomaly in the general pattern of signing watches could have occurred, but the movement serial would still be there anyway.
    6000 quid for a Tissot? Hardly even their chronographs in solid gold can reach that level. The only Tissot wristwatches to reach that level would be the 1930s chronographs co-signed by Omega.
    Do you perhaps have any resource confirming the rarity? I find it hard to believe, that even Hodinkee, ever the pest, could cause a bidding war to an extent, where Tissot would meet Rolex, Heuer and all the other monstrously overpriced stuff...
    Last edited by mkws; February 9th, 2016 at 18:56.
    busmatt likes this.
    I have great faith in fools; self-confidence my friends call it.
    Edgar Allan Poe

If liberty means anything at all, it means the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.
    George Orwell

(...)but that's what mankind is like: they only prize what they no longer possess.
    Erich Maria Remarque

For any inquiries regarding vintage Doxa watches, please read the highlighted text in my vintage Doxa thread. Sorry, but I will not respond to PMs on the matter.

Don't feed the troll. Obviously he was just pulling your leg.
    -The days of the digital watch are numbered.

Quote Originally Posted by Vintage1982 View Post
    Don't feed the troll. Obviously he was just pulling your leg.
    Initial posting and 'hype'-posting both first time... Evil to him who evil thinks...
    Last edited by Border-Reiver; February 9th, 2016 at 18:43.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information