Tissot military
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By mkws

Thread: Tissot military

Tissot military

Hi All,

I know on the auction sites,so called tissot military watches can be found quite easily.

But in its history,has Tissot ever offically supplied the armed forces anywhere?

Many thanks

Re: Tissot military

Quote Originally Posted by eldridge View Post
    Hi All,

I know on the auction sites,so called tissot military watches can be found quite easily.

But in its history,has Tissot ever offically supplied the armed forces anywhere?

Many thanks
    Perhaps you could post a photo to make your question more specific. I understand you feel it's a simple question, but I just think it might get more attention with photos.

I believe I've seen Tissot PAF watches.
    -- Dan (formerly known as @badbackdan)
    ------- @oldwatchdan on Instagram -------

So far,I have never seen a tissot with either case back or dial markings to suggest it's an official military watch.

And have never heard of a military department ordering them,so unfortunately I cant post a photo.

The watches being sold on auction sites as military watches are not military just because they have some radium on the dial and hands,or have Arabic style numerals.

But will look further into the tissot you have described.

Many thanks

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Hi All,

Many thanks
    I asked Tissot the same question a few years ago; they said "No, there are no such recordings in our archives"

If I recall correctly, I have seen a Tissot with military markings, dating to shortly after WWII, and bearing the markings of the Dutch armed forces in what was then the Dutch East Indies (now Indonesia).
    Then again, I'm not inclined to trust one example without seeing any others. Especially without a confirmation from Tissot, I will continue to regard such watches, especially all the "unique" (read: just jumped out of nowhere and pretending to be hell-knows-what) and supposedly "military" pieces as fake, and I believe that it's one of the instances where a presumption of guilt is all too bloody well warranted.

I have also seen the US Ord.Dept. markings stamped on case backs of somewhat random Tissots - thus, I believe them to be forgeries (the engravings, that is).

If Tissot denies having supplied any military, it probably means that they made no watch to a specification by the armed forces of any country. Or, bottom line, they haven't directly sold watches to any military. Of course, an importer/distributor could have been selling Tissots to government clients, the military included, but I suppose a sale like that wouldn't have made it into the manufacturer's records.
    bubba48 likes this.
    I have great faith in fools; self-confidence my friends call it.
    Edgar Allan Poe

If liberty means anything at all, it means the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.
    George Orwell

(...)but that's what mankind is like: they only prize what they no longer possess.
    Erich Maria Remarque

For any inquiries regarding vintage Doxa watches, please read the highlighted text in my vintage Doxa thread. Sorry, but I will not respond to PMs on the matter.

Get yourself a nice military Hamilton, Bulova or Benrus instead. All you need to spend is a whooping couple hundred bucks.

Quote Originally Posted by bubba48 View Post
    Hi All,

Many thanks
    I asked Tissot the same question a few years ago; they said "No, there are no such recordings in our archives"

That's very much conclusive information assuming Tissot staff are not mistaken.

I am kind of surprised that Tissot never officially supplied the military considering how their SSIH associates,Omega and Lemania famously have?

Quote Originally Posted by QuartzCrisis View Post
    Get yourself a nice military Hamilton, Bulova or Benrus instead. All you need to spend is a whooping couple hundred bucks.
    Yes,these companies do very nice military watches and have a great history.

Quote Originally Posted by mkws View Post
    If I recall correctly, I have seen a Tissot with military markings, dating to shortly after WWII, and bearing the markings of the Dutch armed forces in what was then the Dutch East Indies (now Indonesia).
    Then again, I'm not inclined to trust one example without seeing any others. Especially without a confirmation from Tissot, I will continue to regard such watches, especially all the "unique" (read: just jumped out of nowhere and pretending to be hell-knows-what) and supposedly "military" pieces as fake, and I believe that it's one of the instances where a presumption of guilt is all too bloody well warranted.

I have also seen the US Ord.Dept. markings stamped on case backs of somewhat random Tissots - thus, I believe them to be forgeries (the engravings, that is).

If Tissot denies having supplied any military, it probably means that they made no watch to a specification by the armed forces of any country. Or, bottom line, they haven't directly sold watches to any military. Of course, an importer/distributor could have been selling Tissots to government clients, the military included, but I suppose a sale like that wouldn't have made it into the manufacturer's records.
    As you say,its possible for any military to purchase watches through an importer,especially as Tissot could build reasonably cheap and reliable mass produced watches,but unfortunately no way of knowing the watches history without some kind of mark or stamp.

Thread Information