Tissot movement query (1920s)

Thread: Tissot movement query (1920s)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Tissot movement query (1920s)

When did Tissot start using in house movements?

Is this a Tissot movement (from a recent ebay auction - no I didn't buy it):

Auction

Can anyone ID this Tissot's movement?

The reason I am asking is I have this RADIANT - which has basically the same movement (click is probably earlier style, has a triangular rather than round hairspring stud, it is pin-set and it uses and earlier style case screw - certainly the base calibre is related). I can't find any reference to RADIANT as a maker, but the numbers on the dial are also identical. Swiss silver case with Glasgow hallmarks for 1922. Case mark is JW. The lume is incredibly well preserved.

I think that whoever made the Tissot probably also made my RADIANT. I am not planning on removing the dial until I work out how to stabilize the lume in the hands...

Thoughts?
    Last edited by trim; December 1st, 2010 at 22:00.

Re: Tissot movement query (1920s)

Tissot has made movements for many years. I have not seen any that were unmarked like either of these. Why do you believe these to be genuine Tissot?
    "Forever is composed of nows." - Emily Dickinson

"The watch has to be surrounded by a history.
    You need more than just a great design. You need to create an atmosphere around the product.
    Who is the company behind it? Why are they using this material?
    People need to be able to identify the watch with themselves. It's based on emotion." - Ralph Furter

...that's just my opinion and I've been wrong before and will be again and might be now!

I've had a quick look in my 'Tissot' book and have found an almost identical watch to the top 'Tissot' watch, dated 1918 and made for the US Signal Corps.

It was around this time that they started to produce their own movements, but I don't know whether that is one of them.....couldn't see anything similar in the book!!

What sort of price was that Tissot going for, out of curiosity??

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Eeeb View Post
    Tissot has made movements for many years. I have not seen any that were unmarked like either of these. Why do you believe these to be genuine Tissot?
    I don't. It is just the best lead I have at the moment - see below...

Quote Originally Posted by trim View Post
    When did Tissot start using in house movements?

I think that whoever made the Tissot probably also made my RADIANT.
    Thoughts?
    The movement/case and dial of this RADIANT are good quality. I have not yet found a good reference for Tissot movements from this period to compare to - hence my query.

Besides, so many makers from this period didn't mark their movements on this side anyway.
    Last edited by trim; December 1st, 2010 at 22:25.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyMonkey View Post
    I've had a quick look in my 'Tissot' book and have found an almost identical watch to the top 'Tissot' watch, dated 1918 and made for the US Signal Corps.

It was around this time that they started to produce their own movements, but I don't know whether that is one of them.....couldn't see anything similar in the book!!

What sort of price was that Tissot going for, out of curiosity??
    Thanks Johnny,

Heh, well if it was signal corps someone got at bargain. It sold for US$120 or so.

Thanks Johnny,

Heh, well if it was signal corps someone got at bargain. It sold for US$120 or so.

That's pretty good for $120......I'd quite like to add one of those to my collection at some point, but havn't seen one yet!!

That's pretty good for $120......I'd quite like to add one of those to my collection at some point, but havn't seen one yet!!
    Yes, I've seen numbers around $900 in 'as-found' condition.

BTW, that signals corps lead was great Johnny!

Some I found had 3 finger bridges, but the base cal. looks the same after careful comparison. I found this one with the same movement from Cary Hurt. Cary's has the same 2 bridge layout as the ones in this thread, and he says Unmarked 15 jewel movement is typical of other Tissot SC watches I've seen.. Cary's movement:

No way am I going to argue with Cary Hurt. I now believe it is a Tissot movement - and I think it is reasonable to assume that my RADIANT is a slightly later UK branded Tissot.
    Last edited by trim; December 1st, 2010 at 23:04.

I looked at the list of who supplied stuff to Tissot up to this date, and there were all sorts of names....one or two I 'think' I've heard of, but many not.

Not sure about the 'Radiant'?? but they were supplying movements to Bulova, Gruen and Smiths at this time!!

Sorry Johnny you have me a little confused. Who is 'they' in the following sentence? Tissot or the suppliers to Tissot?

...but they were supplying movements to Bulova, Gruen and Smiths at this time!!
    I was beginning to think this was an actual in-house cal. from what Cary said.

I don't suppose you could scan/photo the page?

Sorry Johnny you have me a little confused. Who is 'they' in the following sentence? Tissot or the suppliers to Tissot?

I was beginning to think this was an actual in-house cal. from what Cary said.

I don't suppose you could scan/photo the page?

According to 'the book'.....Tissot were making and supplying movt's to 'the above' at this point!!

I'll try and get a scan of the page, but will PM it to you as don't wanna mess about with copyrights etc

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information