Tissot pocket watch find at antique shop in Vienna, all info and advices welcomed
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Tissot pocket watch find at antique shop in Vienna, all info and advices welcomed

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Tissot pocket watch find at antique shop in Vienna, all info and advices welcomed

Saw this Ch. F. Tissot pocket watch displayed in an antique shop while vacationing in Vienna, Austria. Negotiated it for US$50 which I think is a good deal.

I tried doing some research online and found many that look very close but often with slight variations (cover over dial, inked lines instead of applied dots for minutes, etc..) dating anywhere between 1910 and 1930 but could not be more precise.

Any info would be welcomed on watch.
    Also approximate value would be welcomed (hoping I didn't do bad).

Also advices on what to do: is it worth to have the dial cleaned (can it be?) , the movement serviced, etc..

Thanks.

Sorry for the cell phone quality photos.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	tissot pocket watch front-web.jpg 
Views:	221 
Size:	260.5 KB 
ID:	5020697 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	tissot pocket watch back-web.jpg 
Views:	219 
Size:	248.2 KB 
ID:	5020705
    CARTIER Santos - CARTIER Chronoscaph - CHARRIOL - ORIS - FREDERIC CONSTANT - TISSOT - BULOVA - MOVADO - SWISS ARMY -- VOSTOK - BOTTA DESIGN - KS - ALPHA - MERGIR - JUNKERS - SEIKO

Re: Tissot pocket watch find at antique shop in Vienna, all info and advices welcomed

It's weird but I only see two halves of the watch with a smartphone :)
    Chaos is my focus

Re: Tissot pocket watch find at antique shop in Vienna, all info and advices welcomed

Quote Originally Posted by laikrodukas View Post
    It's weird but I only see two halves of the watch with a smartphone :)
    I see two sides of the watch and no smartphone...?

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

CH. F. Tissot Fils (Charles Félicien Tissot Sons) was the name used on earlier Tissot watches. Locle = Le Locle, Switzerland, the bithplace of the Swiss watch industry.

It would be good to have a better (sharper) image of the movement.

There should be a serial number somewhere on the movement. The movement is not listed in the Ranfft archive.
    I have great faith in fools; self-confidence my friends call it.
    Edgar Allan Poe

If liberty means anything at all, it means the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.
    George Orwell

Villains who twirl their moustaches are easy to spot. Those who clothe themselves in good deeds are well-camouflaged.
    Capt. Jean-Luc Picard (Star Trek: The Next Generation)

For any inquiries regarding vintage Doxa watches, please read the highlighted text in my vintage Doxa thread. Sorry, but I will not respond to PMs on the matter.

Zenith Forum Co-moderator

Since the main structural parts (position of the gears, most of the screws, etc. in absolute terms and relative to each other in the movement, shape of balance cock) are the same, I suspect that it is simply an earlier version of the common Tissot PW movement, e.g.:

bidfun-db Archiv: Uhrwerke: Tissot 38.2

Hartmut Richter

Thanks, here is a sharper photo.

Number at lower left reads:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	tissot pocketwatch movement-web.jpg 
Views:	124 
Size:	202.2 KB 
ID:	5054665
    Last edited by rappasol; August 19th, 2015 at 13:45.
    CARTIER Santos - CARTIER Chronoscaph - CHARRIOL - ORIS - FREDERIC CONSTANT - TISSOT - BULOVA - MOVADO - SWISS ARMY -- VOSTOK - BOTTA DESIGN - KS - ALPHA - MERGIR - JUNKERS - SEIKO

I agree with Hartmut about the movement. 2 adjustments- or rather any adjustments at all- is something you don't see in Tissot too often. As a matter of fact, i can't recall seeing that in a Tissot ever (or my memory is that bad). So, it's kind of a more unusual piece. The serial number, being close to the end of the 1925-1926 serial number range, dates the watch to 1926.
    What you will need to do is have the movement cleaned- and hope there's no rust in there, because at first glance it looks like it hasn't seen a watchmaker in a long, long time.
    Referring to the original post- these earlier Tissot PWs aren't seen as often as 1930s-early 1940s PWs of the very same brand. Is it worth restoring then? Oh yes. And since you bought it for 50 bucks, it's worth it all the more.
    Edgar Allan Poe

If liberty means anything at all, it means the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.
    George Orwell

Villains who twirl their moustaches are easy to spot. Those who clothe themselves in good deeds are well-camouflaged.

For any inquiries regarding vintage Doxa watches, please read the highlighted text in my vintage Doxa thread. Sorry, but I will not respond to PMs on the matter.

Quote Originally Posted by mkws View Post
    I agree with Hartmut about the movement. 2 adjustments- or rather any adjustments at all- is something you don't see in Tissot too often. As a matter of fact, i can't recall seeing that in a Tissot ever (or my memory is that bad). So, it's kind of a more unusual piece. The serial number, being close to the end of the 1925-1926 serial number range, dates the watch to 1926.
    What you will need to do is have the movement cleaned- and hope there's no rust in there, because at first glance it looks like it hasn't seen a watchmaker in a long, long time.
    Referring to the original post- these earlier Tissot PWs aren't seen as often as 1930s-early 1940s PWs of the very same brand. Is it worth restoring then? Oh yes. And since you bought it for 50 bucks, it's worth it all the more.

Thanks so much for the info.
    I will get it serviced right away.
    I did not mention before that it runs smoothly and keeps perfect time.

It might as well keep perfect time, but after all you never know when was it serviced last, and thus you don't know how much longer will the movement oils work properly. And, as I've said, the movement's dirty. Last, but not least- it's better to be safe than sorry.
    rappasol likes this.
    Edgar Allan Poe

George Orwell

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information