Titoni watches and West End Co Watches
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Marrick

Thread: Titoni watches and West End Co Watches

Banned

Titoni watches and West End Co Watches

Ive recently started getting into watches, having previously owned a swiss made burberry bu1100. I recently purchased a stuhrling regatta for every day wear however I am looking to purchase a couple of nice vintage watches and was wondering what I should be looking for?

So far I've really liked West End Watch Co, given their history and the larger numbers on the dials is quite appealing. I realise its not to everyones taste.

I've also looked at purchasing a Titoni Airmaster.

Now Ive became very confused as to what I should be looking for? All listings seem to give you (1) jewels (2) calibre (3) movement however Im not clear as to what is key. Also, is a self winding watch a real hassle as some of the old classics look really nice.

Thanks for your help,

Complete newbie,

JM

Re: Titoni watches and West End Co Watches

There are three recurring pieces of advice for newbies on most forums (including this one):
    1. buy what you like, not what other people like
    2. buy the seller.
    3. don't expect a watch purchase to be a financial "investment". ie buy what you can afford to spend on a watch.

So to answer your last question: a self winding watch is NOT "a real hassle", they are supposed to be the exact opposite; a feature to make your life better by not having to remember to hand wind your watch every day.

Banned

Thanks Bjohnson.

Im going to go for one that lookswise, I simply love. Thereafter Im just wondering if there is anything that I should or shouldnt go for or what I should or shouldnt be looking for in a vintage watch.

Apologies, I think I got the lingo wrong. When I said self winding, I meant I'd have to wind it.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

rahulg likes this.
    Everybody is ignorant, only on different subjects."

Will Rogers (1879 - 1935)

Please don't PM me to ask for a valuation - I won't attempt one.

Quote Originally Posted by johnnymorry View Post
    When I said self winding, I meant I'd have to wind it.
    I personally find this part of the pleasure of a vintage watch - it puts you in touch with the machine. That said, you don't want to be keeping them wound unless you have only the one, in which case, you'd need to wind/set the auto as well.

if there is anything that I should or shouldnt go for or what I should or shouldnt be looking for in a vintage watch.
    As a starter, I'd suggest staying away from anything that is not reported to be running before you buy it. Buying-to-repair is a risky sport best left to more experienced and adventurous collectors.

After that, simply decide what you would like. Finances play some role in everyone's life so choose watches you can afford. There is satisfaction in collecting everything from dollar watches and Timexes to PPs and VCs.

Apologies, I think I got the lingo wrong. When I said self winding, I meant I'd have to wind it.
    Most vintage collectors are quite happy with both hand winders and automatics (self winders).

One of the keys to buying vintage watches is getting them serviced periodically, and manual wind watches (in general) can be serviced cheaper then automatics. Winding a manual wind watch isn't really a hassle; it just becomes part of your morning routine...get up, brush your teeth, get dressed, wind your watch. Very few vintage watches will run for much more then a day without being wound, but that isn't too much of an issue. If the watch stops, then the next time you go to wear it, check the time against any of the hundreds of clocks that I'm sure litter your house/car/work/store/phone/whatever.
    My growing collection of "affordable" vintages: http://www.abslomrob.com

Thread Information