Today's purchase - LeCoultre Memovox
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Datreedude

Thread: Today's purchase - LeCoultre Memovox

Today's purchase - LeCoultre Memovox

Hello all,
    I know that I have a long way to go, before this becomes a stunner, but I thought I would share. Today's purchase was a stainless LeCoultre Memovox. I know, it looks like it has been through hell and back, but it runs flawlessly, and even the alarm works! Whoever owned this, must have broken the crystal, and had it poorly replaced. The crystal spins freely, and you can almost move it side to side. Must be water seeped into it, and destroyed the outer ring. My question, would you think it more feasible to replace or refurbish the dial? It's a keeper either way. Your input is greatly appreciated, thanks in advance!
    Attached Images Attached Images

joeuk likes this.

Re: Today's purchase - LeCoultre Memovox

Congrats just love these alarm watches, I will let others comment on the watch itself dont know enough about them, all I know is would love one in my collection. I think you will find it hard to find a replacement dial.

If you're patient you might be able to source a replacement dial. This isn't identical Jaeger LeCoultre Memovox Dial for Manual Movement 50'S | eBay but it might be suitable.
    Everybody is ignorant, only on different subjects."

Will Rogers (1879 - 1935)

Please don't PM me to ask for a valuation - I won't attempt one.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Vint. Forum Co-Moderator Mirius's Avatar

Dial replacement or refinishing should be possible, I would however have some concerns about rust under the dial, so when you have that checked out the crystal should be replaced as well. Aside from that if it runs and works then it was probably a good buy.

Nice watch. I would take Marrick's advice and pick up the dial.
    Time waits for no man.

Sadly distressed dial, so what ever you decide, would be a great saver of a fantastic timepiece indeed 'icon'
    NEVER ARGUE WITH AN IDIOT. FIRST THEY WILL DRAG YOU DOWN TO THEIR LEVEL. THEN, THEY WILL BEAT YOU WITH EXPERIENCE.

"Failure is not an option" - Gene Kranz
    "Owning a vintage watch is great, understanding where it sits in Horology is magnificent"
    and
    "By Teaching Others, We Teach Ourselves"
    Adam

Quote Originally Posted by Aashdin View Post
    Nice watch. I would take Marrick's advice and pick up the dial.
    Before buying the dial you need to be careful of two things:

1. Most importantly - You need to make sure that the dial will fit the movement (Cal. 814) in your watch. There were several alarm movements made by JLC and not all have the dial feet in the same place.

2. These LeCoultre models had different (read - US Made) cases than their European JLC counterparts. Even if the dial fits the movement, it may not fit the case.

I would not recommend purchasing a Jaeger-LeCoultre dial for a watch with a LeCoultre movement. With very few exceptions, this would not be historically correct.

A skilled watchmaker with experience with Memovox watches might have a spare dial set (2 pieces) available. A lot of these movements have died over the years, leaving many parts behind.

Hope this helps,
    gatorcpa

Thread Information