Is it too pickey to buy watches with a specific movement?

Thread: Is it too pickey to buy watches with a specific movement?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Question Is it too pickey to buy watches with a specific movement?

I am blown away with the accuracy of the Felsa 692 Caliber. Is it a popular caliber or is it select? I have a growing collection of self-winding watches that stands at 4. Have I gone mad if I scower boxes looking for this in other watches or am I just wowed nowName:  DSC03128.JPG
Views: 1375
Size:  269.2 KBName:  DSC03128.JPG
Views: 1375
Size:  269.2 KB?

Re: Is it too pickey to buy watches with a specific movement?

The Felsa 692 Bidynator was an incredibly successful and popular movement - of considerable technical merit. You'll find it in many many brands.

It is nice for a collection to have a theme, making a collection of watches with the 692 seems like a good one. The movement was in production for a long time, and may have some interesting variations.

No you're not mad - you'll just fit right in here

Roland has a small writeup here of how it fits into the early history of Autos. Also here, you can see the varieties... Perhaps you could even hunt down the 'proto-type' Felsa 410.

Its all good clean fun
    Last edited by trim; December 17th, 2010 at 19:41.

Nothing wrong with collecting by the movement alone, it's your collection your decision. A different way of collecting but perfectly fine and you could end up with a very varied selection of watches with a common theme. Go for it and enjoy the hunt.

Kev

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Collecting by movement is a long standing trend in railroad pocket watches. There's no reason not to focus on wrist watch movements as a key part of your collection strategy. Collect that which gives you joy and never look back!

I collect watches with AS 1187/94 caliber movements because they are the cheapest and most common vintage movements on ebay. Also makes it easy to get parts to fix.
    I'm a watchbreaker not a watchmaker.

I suspect you'll end up branching out no matter how hard you try to restrict yourself; that's the nature of the disease you've contracted. The advantage of focusing on a given movement or group of related movements is that you'll end up amassing a collection of "spares" that'll help you keep your collection running, and will make it slightly cheaper to have them repaired.
    My growing collection of "affordable" vintages: http://www.abslomrob.com

Banned

Bidynators were nice movements. Even Piaget used them in the 50's before they introduced the 12P in 1960.

Most of us vintage collectors do hunt for specific movements. I'm after one example of each Longines automatic from their inception (1945) until the quartz revolution/crisis (the 70's). I try to get them in different models, like a 34x w/ date inside a Flagship, a 34x without date inside an Admiral, a 29x inside a Conquest, etc.

Agree. Similar deal here. I've been looking around for a few specific Hamilton movements from the 30s and 40s, before they started farming out their movements to the Swiss. There's a lot to be said for focusing on movements, particularly if you plan on wearing the vintage watches you buy. A pretty face on a watch that won't keep anything like good time is not a useful watch IMO. Fine for sitting in a collection, but not useful for wearing.

not at all. to each his own.

I think all of us eventually find a movement we really relate to and get watches with it when we can... I suspect I have one of the world's larger collections of ETA 205.911s. The engineer and the ecologist in me were attracted to the concept of automatically recharged quartz movements and they were available in so many companies watches for a while.

Every serious collector seems to have at least one focus even if it is not movements. Most seem to have several... and they can vary over time.
    "Forever is composed of nows." - Emily Dickinson

"The watch has to be surrounded by a history.
    You need more than just a great design. You need to create an atmosphere around the product.
    Who is the company behind it? Why are they using this material?
    People need to be able to identify the watch with themselves. It's based on emotion." - Ralph Furter

...that's just my opinion and I've been wrong before and will be again and might be now!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information