Took a Chance... INDIAN Timestar NOS.... Comments welcome
Like Tree7Likes

Thread: Took a Chance... INDIAN Timestar NOS.... Comments welcome

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Took a Chance... INDIAN Timestar NOS.... Comments welcome

Ive wanted an Indian Watch for a while.....This NOS Timestar was an Indian-French collaboration. Case and Dial are made and cased in India with (as a WUS member informed me, from the dealers pictures on ebay) a French Lorsa P52 or P62 movement. The dealer on ebay said it was locked in a watchmakers safe for 20-30 years. Is it vintage? Well, the style sure is. It is in NOS condition. I dont know anything yet about the Lorsa movement. But I hope for some info from members here. Ill do some research myself of course. But its hard to get in plain speak, the quality of movement. Im under the impression its a medium grade, serviceable movement. It has been serviced in India, runs well and keeping good time. There were many on the bay to choose from, at what turned out to be very very reasonable auction prices. My main approach to collecting at this point, is varying dial styles, colors and varying lugs, with many digressions. I went for the gray dial on sale and couldnt be happier. The shipping was free, so theres the money for a new strap, which is on the cheap side. But what do you want! Would love to hear any comments. (sorry, dont have the tools to open the back, to show you it) Goodnight all.
    Attached Images Attached Images

bubba48 and fish70 like this.

Re: Took a Chance... INDIAN Timestar NOS.... Comments welcome

I like it. A very handsome watch in my opinion.
    Everybody is ignorant, only on different subjects."

Will Rogers (1879 - 1935)

Please don't PM me to ask for a valuation - I won't attempt one.

Looks like a nice buy!
    I went on ebay to look at some other timestars, i notice that most of them state that the watches are NOS. I have never bought a vintage watch before so i am clueless.

Anyway, these timestars appeared to me as though they used rather than NOS. Most of them had dusty (or dirty) caseback. Was yours like that too??

I have seen 20 Y.O NOS swiss watch being sold many times, and they have all well presented in showroom condition.

I wouldnt mind picking one up for a bit of fun if they were really NOS and not some refurbished.

have a look at this one to see what i mean
    UNUSED TIMESTAR WINDING 17 J VINTAGE MENS WATCH | eBay
    :)

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

as marrick said , a handsome watch!
    love the layout

This is my understanding of Timestar.

In the 1960's a group of Bescaçon manufacturers, notably Lorsa, set up, with Indian partners, Indo-French Time Industries Ltd in Bombay, (Mumbai). At this time it appears it was illegal to import complete watches into India, a ban that was lifted in around 1980. In due course Lorsa apparently supplied obsolete tooling for movements and provided much of the expertise needed to produce watches branded Timestar. Indo-French Time were the first company to commence indigenous manufacture of wristwatches in India. A lot of the sales of Timestar watches in the south of India was handled by Gani & Sons, who even changed the name of their branch at Brigade Road Bangalore to the Timestar Service Station of Karnataka.

The Timestar brand seems to have been sold to its current owners about 11 years ago, and current production has no relationship to that produced by the old Indo-French concern.

There's an interesting article about the Swiss involvement in India (in French), from the Spring/Summer edition of Watch-Around here:

http://www.watch-around.com/uploads/...inde-011-f.pdf

John
    Last edited by john87300; June 1st, 2012 at 16:51. Reason: added info
    John
    Watch Website: www.chambresdebelair.com/watches.html last update 07/11/2012

Thanks for comments, compliments and info folks. Tissot Prx, if you were never used, Id imagine even in a safe box, you would get dusty. Kidding. But really I think its the quality of the pics in terms of the watch you showed. After all, Im sure the dealer wiped it down before photographing. I like the watch you presented as an example. The dial has an interesting glimmering box design to it.
    Mine is absolutely mint! and the photos were approx the same, if I remember correctly. Try to find one that has free shipping, there were many being sold in the U.S. at the time I bought mine. That makes for a real deal. Hope that helps with a decision. John, you seem well informed from your past posts on your passion of French watches. Im getting nowhere in my quest for information as to the quality of the Lorsa P52/62 movements. Know anything at all? Thanks, P&P

Quote Originally Posted by parrotandpitbull View Post
    John, you seem well informed from your past posts on your passion of French watches. Im getting nowhere in my quest for information as to the quality of the Lorsa P52/62 movements. Know anything at all? Thanks, P&P
    The Lorsa P62 etc, were decent French movements of the 1950's/1960's with Glucydor screw balances, and 17 or 21 Jewels. Quite modern in their construction in some ways, the design continued with modifications well into the 1970's in the P75 series. The Lorsa 62 was used by some middle ranked French makers of the 50's such as Kiplé & Chilex and the later P75 even found its way into some Swiss watches. French 17 jewel movements of the time, like the Lorsa and the Parrenin HP 90, were, in my opinion, equally as good as many of the equivalent Swiss movements. It says something that it was not unusual for French watch workers to work over the border in Switzerland, (and in fact many still do). The Swiss watch industry has rigourously cultivated the myth that Swiss always equals high quality, and is thus worth a premium, it's not necessarily fact though in my humble opinion.
    John
    Watch Website: www.chambresdebelair.com/watches.html last update 07/11/2012

Quote Originally Posted by parrotandpitbull View Post
    Thanks for comments, compliments and info folks. Tissot Prx, if you were never used, Id imagine even in a safe box, you would get dusty. Kidding. But really I think its the quality of the pics in terms of the watch you showed. After all, Im sure the dealer wiped it down before photographing. I like the watch you presented as an example. The dial has an interesting glimmering box design to it.

Hey yeah the shiny "box design" is pretty cool. What I like more is the green color of the dial, looks brilliant.

How about a wristshot parrotandpitbull? :)
    Last edited by TISSOT PRX; June 3rd, 2012 at 14:23. Reason: Too many redbulls
    :)

Quote Originally Posted by TISSOT PRX View Post
    How about a wristshot parrotandredbull? :)

Another one?
    Parrotandredbull? I just know Wodka and Red Bull.

Congrats, it´s a very nice watch with an extraordinary design. I like it!
    I agree with John - the quality of French - or German - movements of that time hadn´t been worse or better than the one of competible Swiss ones.
    Last edited by mike184; June 2nd, 2012 at 21:28.
    Best regards, Mike

Hi,
    I recently purchased a similar Timestar watch from one of the Indian sellers active on Ebay. When looking for more info on my watch I ran into this old thread, so I thought I'd bring it to life again.

I bought mine for a low price, ($12,--!!), free shipping, 3 weeks from India (Mumbay) to The Netherlands, you can't go wrong.
    Mine was not N.O.S. but in a very acceptable 'vintage' condition. There appeared to be no sealing ring in the screw back, so I added one myself.
    I've been testing it for about 3 days now and it keeps time quite well, less than 1 minute slow in 24 hours.

OP asked for more info on the movement. These watches sport a P62 movement, originally designed by/for the French Lorsa co. These were also used in Indian made watches under the name Indo-French Time (it's engraved on the movement). Under the balance wheel you can see the movement/caliber number P62.

My watch also came with a rather cheap black (fake?) leather strap so I replaced that for a nicer brown pigskin strap that matched much better with the gray silver and gold combination of the dial.

I saw a lot more dial variations on the rather large amount of Timestar watches offered on Ebay, most of them offered by India sellers, most of them quite attractive in my opinion. Nice collectibles for a very affordable price! Beware though for the so called 'refurbished' = repainted! dials. India 'vintage' watch sellers on Ebay are ill-famed for selling watches with repainted dials in very odd colors! Take care they mention at least 'original dial' in their offerings.

Here: bidfun-db Archive: Watch Movements: Lorsa P62 I found the technical info on this movement.
    The pictures on that site of the movement are exactly matching the movement in my watch, exept for the fact that the Timestar movement is signed 'Indo-French Time'. So I did not bother to open my watch again to make a picture of the movement for this posting.

Here some pics of my Timestar watch (sorry for the quality, they're just 'quick and dirty' 300 dpi scans):

Name:  Image0477.JPG
Views: 3791
Size:  61.0 KB

Name:  Image0478.JPG
Views: 3530
Size:  134.4 KB

Other Timestar owners? Please post your watch pics and experience with these watches and their (Indian) sellers!
    parrotandpitbull and fish70 like this.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information