Trench found in a laundry
Like Tree32Likes

Thread: Trench found in a laundry

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

About a month ago my son told me there some watches for sale in a laundry at the train station near his school. Seemed unlikely but happy that he was scoping out potential watches for me. Thought no more of it.

Last night was my turn to attend parent teacher night. Wasn't looking forward to it as it had been a cold grey day and busy at work so I was a little beat, but I rushed home picked him up and we made our way across the now rain soaked city to his school.

After meeting his teachers we hoped in the car and crawled along the dark and wet streets. As we approached the station he said " That laundry place might be open do you want to have a look?". OK, if we can get a park. It was late night shopping and the streets bustled with shoppers and commuters. We pulled up behind a tram that was unloading passengers right outside the station. Peering through the rain I said " not looking good"suddenly a car indicator light sparked to life right in front of us reflecting in the rain droplets on our windscreen. The car pulled out and we pulled right in.

Hugging our coats we walked up the red brick laneway towards the station entrance past an army disposal store, a bookshop and a little Italian coffee house.

We turned a corner and a tiny shop meet us. Its window light spilling out onto the pavement. Above the door a sign reads Tailor , and in smaller writing , same day dry cleaning. Looking in a shelf held a dozen watches sitting somewhat oddly in front of a manikin dressed in a long flowing dress. Behind the dress a small curtain separated this display from the working machinery of tailor and dry cleaner.

Plenty of ladies watches and an interesting Lusina chronograph but its copper dial had burnished beyond the legible. Next to it was a tidy little trench style watch. We entered the door and I could see a Chinese gent cover his teacup with a ceramic cap and look up to greet us.Can we see your watches my son burst out? He nodded yes. I put my finger against the glass opposite the trench and he pulled it off display.

Turns out he is a collector himself. We talked about watches for 20 minutes or so. I turned the trench in my hand liking it a lot and his price was very reasonable, we did barter but not too seriously on my part as I was already happy with the price. So isn't it interesting how we find our watches. Here is a movement shot. I think its an AS 340 variant dated to the late 20's but would welcome any comment on it.

And a wrist shot.

Regards,
    Last edited by James A; August 8th, 2014 at 08:36.

Re: Trench found in a laundry

Very nice James....

Like the story that came with it.... Most interesting to me is how you use your children as watch scouts - nice work

Any hallmarks on the case?
    James A likes this.
    A designer knows he has achieved perfection not when there is nothing left to add, but when there is nothing left to take away...

Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Twitter: quickpicmarc

Hi James,

truly nice find, and nice yarn to it, too

Quote Originally Posted by James A View Post
    (...) So isn't it interesting how we find our watches.
    Absolutely! This one wanted to be your's - I have a few who wanted to be mine, so I know what I'm talking about

Not sure what to recommend regarding the case - the black tarnishing looks just nice. On the other hand, I'd love to see the silver cleaned and shiny.

Have fun with it!

Best,
    Tomcat
    James A likes this.
    After all's been said and done, there's a lot more said than done...

Patina: little pieces of history put on old watches and forgotten there by the maker of time

"Miracles?", he asked. "Forget about miracles. Those who walk on water just know where the stepstones are."

"Luxury watches - you acquire the right to take care of them, but they remain the property of their manufacturers."
    (Roland Ranfft)

Now available for your Kindle or Kindle Reader:

Tracks in a Blizzard - A (German) Christmas Ghost Story

Check me out on Facebook! / Visit us on Facebook! / Visit us in our living room!

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Thanks Sparcster,

Think my son has caught the watch bug too. Here is the caseback. 2 at the top. 15215 at the bottom and 0.935. Not sure what the other mark is.

Regards

Banned
    According to Accutronitis and his BFF I live in Berkshire, but really I live in Derbyshire

Great find James, a Trench is my wanted watch too.
    The mark on the case is the standing bear, and is the Swiss watch export mark for .875 silver and above, between 1882 and 1934.
    This mark was compulory for watch cases, but optional on other silver items.
    Last edited by bobbee; August 8th, 2014 at 09:26.
    James A likes this.

Nice watch enjoy.
    a
    James A likes this.
    NEVER ARGUE WITH AN IDIOT. FIRST THEY WILL DRAG YOU DOWN TO THEIR LEVEL. THEN, THEY WILL BEAT YOU WITH EXPERIENCE.

"Failure is not an option" - Gene Kranz
    "Owning a vintage watch is great, understanding where it sits in Horology is magnificent"
    and
    "By Teaching Others, We Teach Ourselves"
    Adam

To be honest I thought from the title that you'd found a watch that had been through a washing machine or something. Name:  washing-machine.gif
Views: 274
Size:  3.3 KB

Quite a relief! Nice catch and a nice story.
    Sdasurrey and James A like this.

To be honest I thought from the title that you'd found a watch that had been through a washing machine or something.
    HaHa...me too.

So isn't it interesting how we find our watches.
    They turn up in the strangest places sometimes...A great catch. I bet you have yourself a new dry-cleaner...
    James A likes this.

Great story and what a cool find!
    Congrats!
    James A likes this.

Love the story and your 'written embellishments' on the 'experience' ! Grabbing an interesting watch of course is nice and involving family even better ! Experiences for a lifetime - watches maybe...! Scott

PS - having worked with one of the banks in Melbourne and also I had a Post-Doc research grant I ended up not taking at the University of Melbourne - I Love Melbourne ! So I was picturing the city as I read your description..
    Last edited by Sdasurrey; August 9th, 2014 at 14:14.
    James A likes this.
    'Survival kit contents check. In them you'll find: one forty-five caliber automatic; two boxes of ammunition; four days' concentrated emergency rations; one drug issue containing antibiotics, morphine, vitamin pills, pep pills, sleeping pills, tranquilizer pills; one miniature combination Russian phrase book and Bible; one hundred dollars in rubles; one hundred dollars in gold; nine packs of chewing gum; one issue of prophylactics; three lipsticks; three pair of nylon stockings. Shoot, a fella' could have a pretty good weekend in Vegas with all that stuff.' -- Slim Pickens as Major T.J. 'King' Kong, Dr. Strangelove 1964

__________________________________________________ __________
    My 'Show-Piece' - Zenith El Primero 'Red' Captain Ltd Edition #255/500
    My 'Grails' - 1920s & 1930s 18ct Gold Eberhard Monopusher chronos - with a Valjioux 65 movements
    My 'Fav' 1917 Silver Moser Trench
    Various vintage watches - Trench-style, Art Deco & 20s-50s chronographs - especially Eberhard & Longines

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information