Like Tree9Likes
  • 1 Post By Shangas
  • 1 Post By Hartmut Richter
  • 3 Post By Seele
  • 2 Post By Silly151
  • 2 Post By Seele

Thread: Trying to buy my fiance a pocket watch as a wedding gift

Trying to buy my fiance a pocket watch as a wedding gift

I've been looking everywhere for a pocket watch online to buy my fiance. But I have no idea what sights are legit and online ordering terrifies me. What if I get it and its not real? What if I never get anything? There are so many scams out there. If anyone could offer any pointers on which sites are legit. Next question would be Im looking for the kind that pops open like a locket is there a specific name for that. My final question I am aware that the length of the chain may have some meaning. This watch should be meant for a suit. I have no idea if that matters. Anything would be helpful.
    Thank you

Re: Trying to buy my fiance a pocket watch as a wedding gift

You're looking for what's called a hunter-case pocketwatch. They have a spring-loaded lid on the case which pops open when you press a button. Originally designed to protect the glass of the crystal from shattering if you were out riding on horseback and going...HUNTING!...Duh...

A watch to be worn with a (three-piece, usually) suit, will require what's called an Albert chain, this is a chain with one, or two lengths of chain (Single, or Double Albert), with a T-bar on it to fix into the buttonhole.

I'd say almost all websites are legit, with the possible exception of eBay. You gotta watch yourself on there.

You looking for a modern, or an antique pocket watch?
    Last edited by Shangas; February 19th, 2016 at 08:23.
    busmatt likes this.
    "Pipes are occasionally of extraordinary interest...nothing has more individuality save, perhaps, watches and bootlaces."

- Sherlock Holmes.

'The Yellow Face'.

Zenith Forum Co-moderator

The English call it a "hunter" PW, in other parts of the world, it is given the french name "savonette" (literally: "little soap box").

Hartmut Richter
    busmatt likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Silly151,

Sorry for coming in late.

Buying a watch as a gift is a bit of a tricky business, as you need to find one that fits his needs and expectations, so it would be a good idea to see what he's used to, how he is going to use it, and what he expects out of it.

Say for instance, if he expects a watch to keep running with practically no effort, save for a battery change every year or two, then it would have to be one with a quartz movement, something that tends not to appeal to some of the fellow correspondents here, as most pocket watch enthusiasts would rather have a mechanical piece, probably with some age, that needs hand-winding daily.

Please bear in mind that in the watch business, most of the brands would rather be known as grand old firms, having been in business for centuries, even if they started last week: say "Charles Hubert Paris" has nothing to do with someone called Charles Hubert (whoever he was) and has nothing to do with France. With that in mind, you have to take their claims with a grain of salt when looking at modern quartz-powered examples, and judge them purely on their own merits, in terms of materials and workmanship, after-sales service, etc. I do not know where you are located, but if he can get out of the idea of a hunter case, then the very affordable Sekonda 3117 might be a possibility: it's a re-issue of one of the mechanical models made by Chelyabinsk (Molnija) they sold some years before, which was in turn designed by Chelyabinsk for Serkisof for the Turkish Railways Co. Likewise there are also brands like Swiss Army/Wenger who made similar quartz-powered ones, the discontinued models might still be available new.

A fair few manufacturers also produce mechanical pocket watches nowadays, at the more affordable end you have Tissot and Orient, although the latter does not make one in hunter case. At the other end of the price scale, the sky is the limit of course!

On eBay and other similar places we see a lot of new, inexpensive pocket watches from vendors working out of China, with a focus on appearance. While your mileage might vary, they're built down to a cost rather than up to a standard, and I would not feel too comfortable to recommend them as a gift that means more than its price tag.

Naturally, if he is already familiar with mechanical and/or vintage watches, there would not be a great problem looking for a clean example of a vintage piece of some quality. Again, speaking for myself, Chelyabinsk has been quite kind to me and my Molnijas are real troupers, even though all bought used in various stages of disrepair. An earlier model would be nicer, as later models have movements made with progressively less finesse, but hunter cases came rather late too. If you can find a Molnija in a hunter case (my favourite is the "St George") and a clean, chrome-plated movement, and get it properly serviced, it would be a nice workhorse for many years to come. And if it's movement is a 3103 rather than 3102, especially in a "Three Graces" hunter case, then you have hit the jackpot!

I am sure I have merely scratch the surface, but let us know of the progress of your hunt (no pun intended). But I have a feeling that the Tissot would be the sweet spot...

Name:  t8594051927300.jpg
Views: 107
Size:  125.9 KB
    Last edited by Seele; February 20th, 2016 at 04:41.

O wow thank you so much for the input. All of this is going to help me. And that watch is gorgeous.
    He doesn't really have cause to wear a watch like this often. It is more of a piece of memorabilia for our special day.
    It will be worn with a 3 piece suit.
    I find it unfair brides normaly get the hand me downs on a wedding day. And I would like something that can be past down generations.
    So it doesn't have to be an antique. Eventually it would become one :)
    busmatt and Shum like this.

Good to hear from you again, and glad to be of help.

Certainly the watch would look great as part of the ensemble which includes the three-piece suit, it's also worth investing in two watch chains: an Albert or Double Albert for that particular use, and a short chain that holds on to the belt for more casual times: the small pocket halfway hidden by the right pocket in a pair of jeans is not called a "watch pocket" for nothing!

When he gets new trousers, it's also worth going for those with a watch pocket as well: some have them as a discreet slit on the right hand side just under the belt. others have its opening along the top edge. After all, plenty of people who do not wear watches use their mobile phones instead, effectively making it a pocket watch.

By the way, a watch of the same make for yourself might not be out of place either...
    Last edited by Seele; February 27th, 2016 at 09:39.
    busmatt and Shum like this.

Thread Information