Trying to get information on a pocket watch
Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By quadchris8390

Thread: Trying to get information on a pocket watch

Trying to get information on a pocket watch

I was handed down a pocket watch in which I am trying to get info on. It is a Langlois. Is the company still in business and would they be able to track who purchased it in the late 1700's. Here are some pictures.
    Attached Images Attached Images

bsshog40 and Tick Talk like this.

Re: Trying to get information on a pocket watch

Quote Originally Posted by quadchris8390 View Post
    I was handed down a pocket watch in which I am trying to get info on. It is a Langlois. Is the company still in business and would they be able to track who purchased it in the late 1700's. Here are some pictures.
    That's a beautiful verge fusee pocket watch! Back in the 18th century, these watches were made by individual watchmakers rather than companies. So Langlois was most probably the last name of a Paris watchmaker, who made this watch in the second half of the 18th century (as far as I can tell from the pictures, but I'm no expert).

The British Museum web page has an entry for another Paris watchmaker who cooperated with a certain Jacques Langlois in the late 17th century (-> British Museum - Term details), so about a century too early. But they also list a book called "Dictionnaire des Horlogers Francais", Tardy Paris, as a source. Maybe your Mr. Langlois was a descendant of this Jacques Langlois and maybe you can find out more in that book? Who knows. Purely speculative, but maybe it's a start..

However, the odds that lists of the customers of this watchmaker survived over the centuries are very slim, unfortunately.

Early to mid 18th century, going by the fact of it having a Tompion disc regulator. Later in the 18th century, most makers were switching to the Bosley regulator (the base for most of the regulator designs in use until this day), and by 1790-1800, the Tompion was mostly phased out.
    Last edited by mkws; November 10th, 2017 at 18:10.
    I have great faith in fools; self-confidence my friends call it.
    Edgar Allan Poe

If liberty means anything at all, it means the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.
    George Orwell

Villains who twirl their moustaches are easy to spot. Those who clothe themselves in good deeds are well-camouflaged.
    Capt. Jean-Luc Picard (Star Trek: The Next Generation)

For any inquiries regarding vintage Doxa watches, please read the highlighted text in my vintage Doxa thread. Sorry, but I will not respond to PMs on the matter.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Amazing piece. Thank you for sharing it. Please pass on any further information you may obtain . Additional pictures would be great too.

Thread Information