Trying to identify and value a pocket chronograph

Thread: Trying to identify and value a pocket chronograph

Banned

Trying to identify and value a pocket chronograph

Greetings,

While visiting a friend, he had the kindness to show some heirloom timepieces passed to him from his family in Germany. I have very little pocket watch experience, and even less with the watchmaking legacy of A. Lange & Sohne. I took a couple quick phone snaps to see if any forum members could help determine some history and value for this timepiece (please excuse the shoddy quality of the snaps). He would never sell the watch I am sure. It would simply be nice to understand some provenance of the piece. Also of interest was another timepiece of similar quality but with no watchmaker readily apparent to me. The interesting part was that it would chime on the hour and quarter hours, and sounded great when it did. Pics of that one are also included below. Any help on either piece would be very much appreciated.

Last edited by Cubbiepants; December 12th, 2010 at 19:30.

Moderator at Large stuffler,mike's Avatar

Re: Trying to identify and value a pocket chronograph

Looks like a A. Lange & Söhne pocket chronograph with repetition. A. Lange & Söhne manufactured those kinf of PW since 1870. The one in the pic is B-quality (Deutsche Uhrenfabrikation A. Lange & Söhne). Grade A quality pw have been markes "A. Lange & Söhne". If you sent in case no. and movement no. it should be possible to determine the history at Lange & Söhne (register statement). Absolutely worth a restoration.

Kind regards
    Mike

Instagram @mikestuffler

Hi -

Lovely!

Please read the sticky message at the top of the forum as to why it is impossible to give you a valuation online. Not fair to you, not fair to the watch.

JohnF
    コスト下げ やる気も一緒に 下げられる

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Banned

Thanks for the input... And sorry to have bypassed the sticky. No sweat on valuation. History is more of interest on these anyway.

Even were valuations given in general, they'd be largely useless for pieces like this. A professional appraiser would look to historical auction values of "similar" pieces, modified by the differences between those items and the one being appraised. Obviously, the "accuracy" of such an appraisal will very from season to season, and from auction to auction.

But just so your friend has some concept of the value of what they have, they'd be looking at five digits, easy.
    My growing collection of "affordable" vintages: http://www.abslomrob.com

Banned

That is stunning. Given his nature, I am sure he would not be looking to sell it. Still he should look at appraisal if for no reason other than to insure it properly.

I am going to help him reach out to Lange and learn more about the history of the piece. It is fascinating and is actually budding an interest for me where I previously had none.

Thanks for the feedback. I will post more details if I discover any.

Thread Information