Tudor Rolex 1959 - Any further information appreciated

Thread: Tudor Rolex 1959 - Any further information appreciated

Tudor Rolex 1959 - Any further information appreciated

A friend of mine has been given a Tudor Rolex (originally bought by his father), with original box and certificate of purchase. It was bought in 1962 - but is hallmarked Birmingham 1959. I can't find an equivalent anywhere online and wondered if anyone is able to shed any light on the model, and any idea of possible value. There's no strap and it's not in the greatest condition, pictures are below.

Many thanks in advance.

Re: Tudor Rolex 1959 - Any further information appreciated

That interesting I never knew Dennison made cases for Rolex.

movement is very common A. Schild 1187. I have about 10-15 watches with those movements, most if not all were under $10.
    I'm a watchbreaker not a watchmaker.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Thanks for the responses.

So can I just clarify - the mechanism is by Tudor (part of the Rolex brand) and is therefore Swiss, and the case is British and made by Dennison. Now I'll probably sound very naive here but what is an A. Schild 1187 - is it the type of movement? And you mention that these movements can be picked up for under $10, but does the fact it's made by Tudor not make it more desirable? If not then at least all is not lost, the gold in the case has already been valued at $170.

Thanks again for sharing your knowledge.

I can tell you the name Tudor that were made under Rolex are worth more than 10.00 the forum rules you can't tell the value.Go on Ebay do a search of past sells of vintage Tudor's and you mite see your model and that mite give you a idea what it is worth.If you are looking for value.Is that a bubble back case?

It wasn't made by Tudor. The movement was made by A Schild, the case by Denison.

Tudor maybe made the dial and the hands, but more likely they just bougfht those too.

Yes it's worth more because it has the Tudor name on it, but you could buy exactly the same watch with another name on it for very little.

I've never understood the premium prices for Tudors.
    My new sig -----

Over the years I've collected all sorts of movements and "project" watches ... mainly inexpensive vintage pieces.

These days I've widened my gaze to include modern pieces (including quartz with analog or analog + digital displays) but with those I'm generally looking for models in solid steel cases.

Tudor didn't and doesn't make movements. Neither did Rolex, up til comparatively recently. (When I say make movts, I mean designing and building an in house movt, and not using any else's ebauches) The Tudor 390 is an FEF 380, with an added auto wind, for example. (similar to Rolex 1030) The modern ones use ETA movts. Rolex owned part of the firm Aegler, along with Gruen, until Gruen got out in about 1935 ish. Aegler supplied the movts to both Rolex and Gruen. Rolex did not design the oyster case, they bought the patent. Rolex did not develop the autowind system, ditto. You could argue that Rolex took the best technology available at the time, acquired it, and was able to produce an excellent quality watch. Tudor was their lower end line, for lack of a better description. No Breguet overcoil, no free sprung balance, but often genuine Rolex cases, which may or may not have been manufactured by Rolex.
    A. Schild movements, depending on calibre, can be excellent movts. Tudor watches always sell higher because of their association with Rolex.
    Now, I'm not a Rolex expert, nor am I down on the brand for any reason. (Rolex experts feel free to correct me on the in house movt appearance and date, etc) Very few watch manufactures have started and consistently designed and made their own movts, their own cases, etc etc. Even Patek used movts by JLC. In this case, the Rolex name has currency, and by association, so does Tudor. I wouldn't dismiss any watch out of hand for having a Schild movt inside, quite the contrary, I have many watches with these movts and they are of very good to excellent quality. In this case, it appears that Rolex sourced cases from Dennison, and movts from AS, and modified nothing, save the addition of their own dial, and hands.
    When you say the gold is worth $170, do you mean to say that it is a solid gold case, or is it Gold filled?

Quote Originally Posted by Outta Time View Post
    Tudor didn't and doesn't make movements. Neither did Rolex, up til comparatively recently. (When I say make movts, I mean designing and building an in house movt, and not using any else's ebauches) The Tudor 390 is an FEF 380, with an added auto wind, for example. (similar to Rolex 1030) The modern ones use ETA movts. Rolex owned part of the firm Aegler, along with Gruen, until Gruen got out in about 1935 ish. Aegler supplied the movts to both Rolex and Gruen. Rolex did not design the oyster case, they bought the patent. Rolex did not develop the autowind system, ditto. You could argue that Rolex took the best technology available at the time, acquired it, and was able to produce an excellent quality watch. Tudor was their lower end line, for lack of a better description. No Breguet overcoil, no free sprung balance, but often genuine Rolex cases, which may or may not have been manufactured by Rolex.
    A. Schild movements, depending on calibre, can be excellent movts. Tudor watches always sell higher because of their association with Rolex.
    Now, I'm not a Rolex expert, nor am I down on the brand for any reason. (Rolex experts feel free to correct me on the in house movt appearance and date, etc) Very few watch manufactures have started and consistently designed and made their own movts, their own cases, etc etc. Even Patek used movts by JLC. In this case, the Rolex name has currency, and by association, so does Tudor. I wouldn't dismiss any watch out of hand for having a Schild movt inside, quite the contrary, I have many watches with these movts and they are of very good to excellent quality. In this case, it appears that Rolex sourced cases from Dennison, and movts from AS, and modified nothing, save the addition of their own dial, and hands.
    When you say the gold is worth $170, do you mean to say that it is a solid gold case, or is it Gold filled?
    Thanks again to everyone for the insight - didn't realise it was against forum rules to ask for value so apologies. I've searched ebay and whilst there are similar ones I can't find an identical one anywhere on the web.

With regards the gold, the casing is solid 9ct gold, my friend simply took it to one of these gold-for-cash type places and that's what he was offered. He'd much rather sell it as a watch to a collector though, hence the enquiry on here.

Thanks again.

9K is a usually British hallmark, and is sometimes found also on watches for the Canadian market. You don't see 9K in the US, I think they went with 10K as their bottom, if memory serves.

Yes, less than 10K in the USA was classed as base-metal.

Thread Information