A Turtle Duomatic Favre Leuba On The Way
Like Tree3Likes
  • 2 Post By thoth
  • 1 Post By bluestifford

Thread: A Turtle Duomatic Favre Leuba On The Way

After multiple attempts to bid and win on a few watches this seller had for sale I managed to land this one. Not my top pick but still a fun one for a low price.

The watch is a Turtle (Zell Bros) Duomatic. I noticed that it was a Turtle without the Zell name on it anywhere. Based on that I believe this is a Zale's Turtle based on the info below....

Quote Originally Posted by AbslomRob View Post
    A lot of what you describe sounds 70's; the T-Swiss Made-T, the chunky square case, the 5atm marking....

And to be honest, the "turtle" reference sounds like a vague allusion to "oyster" by a company looking to make a favorable comparison to a similar product without triggering a lawsuit.

The names "Turtle", "Turtle Timer", "Duo-Matic", and "Town and Country" were all registered trademarks of Zell Brothers Inc, Portland OR. They claim the use of "Turtle Timer" from 1935. The first registration was in 1938. Duo-Matic was claimed as of 1946, and "Town and Country" in 1950. The last trademark filing they did was in 1969 ("Blossom Time").

The US trademark office notes: "Zell Bros, a firm domiciled in Portland Oregon, doing business at Morrison at Park Avenue, Portland, Oregon, and composed of Harry Zell, Julius Zell, and Milton Zell"

The "Duo-Matic" trademark was originally assigned to "Zell Bros", and in 1972 was reassigned to "Zell Bros., Inc" along with "Town and Country", "Lake Master", "Vacumatic" and "Blossom Time". Two years later it was assigned again to "Zale Coporation", which in 1991 merged to Zale Merger Corp.

There's no mention in these documents of the disposition of "Turtle" or "Turtle Timer". Searching the USPTO for "Turtle Timer" turns up nothing, and searching for "Turtle" turns up far too much to review. But given that it wasn't part of the other assignments, I'm inclined to think it was simply dropped and wasn't used much after the original registration.
    I think that Zale Corp took over the Turtle name as well if this watch dates to the mid to late 1970's. The thing that got me is that it is a private label Favre Leuba that is not a Bombay special. It is a US seller out of CA who seems to have a good number of original watches. There were 2 or 3 other Zell Turtles with Felsa and one Juvenia automatic movements. So I am certain it is all correct.

Not by any means the most beautiful of watches but it has that strong 70's vibe with the big case and brown dial.

Name:  s-l500.jpg
Views: 162
Size:  23.3 KB

Name:  s-l500 (1).jpg
Views: 153
Size:  18.6 KB

The listing said running and keeping time but every listing they have suggests a service. Which is reasonable and while covering them it at least shows that they are not going to pull the usual "Fresh service" line to sell you a dirty watch.

The date lines up nice and centered So that is a good thing.

Name:  s-l500 (2).jpg
Views: 158
Size:  18.5 KB

Hands look good and the dial looks clean. Keep in mid that I am still bottom feeding. Watches under $75 and usually under $40 is the preference. A running stainless automatic with a good movement, clean dial, and good condition case.....under $40 shipped....I would be dumb to pass it up.

Name:  s-l500 (3).jpg
Views: 161
Size:  17.4 KB

The case sides show nothing of ever being polished. Correct crown with little wear.

Name:  s-l500 (4).jpg
Views: 156
Size:  20.7 KB

The back is clean and free of any engraving or scratches.

Name:  s-l500 (5).jpg
Views: 155
Size:  15.5 KB

The dang thing looks like someone got it and it was "Ummm thanks for the, uh...watch" into a drawer with this thing. Or "Clearance price for a Swiss automatic...sure." then "Why did I buy this big thin on impulse?" into a drawer with this thing.

The case is marked stainless steel but then it looks like Favre was added with All Steel Case. I wonder if this was done because it was an import piece so it had to be marked with the maker and case details.

Name:  s-l500 (6).jpg
Views: 150
Size:  21.0 KB

Not sure of the movement cal yet. I know it is a 17 jewel AS.

Name:  s-l500 (7).jpg
Views: 157
Size:  26.8 KB

Whole thing looks to be about 40mm+ in the tip to tip. Wish he had more details on the size of the watch but it was a quick ending auction so I just ran with it. I am betting on 18mm to 19mm lugs. But I will have to wait to go find a band for it. Will update once it is in hand.
    esdy_11192 and bluestifford like this.
    https://www.ThePassthrough.com

Re: A Turtle Duomatic Favre Leuba On The Way

ETA movement? Nice watch.

Quote Originally Posted by VESPASIAN View Post
    ETA movement? Nice watch.
    Possibly a FL 1152 which was one of Favre Leuba's joint venture automatic movements. The rotor shape and the few other things lean this way.

bidfun-db Archive: Watch Movements: Favre-Leuba 1152
    https://www.ThePassthrough.com

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

I could wear a TURTLE.

Looks great, I wasn’t aware of this turtle connection to FL. I shall like to know more. Also my Duomatic has an FHF 908 calibre.
    Name:  IMG_1543.JPG
Views: 126
Size:  684.3 KB
    Name:  IMG_1544.JPG
Views: 125
Size:  697.6 KB

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    thoth likes this.

Last edited by bluestifford; December 19th, 2017 at 01:18. Reason: Too long.

Thread Information