Tyson/Plato wrist watch

Thread: Tyson/Plato wrist watch

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Tyson/Plato wrist watch

A while ago a friend gave me a watch in rather poor condition because I am interested in watches. The rather impressive-looking crystal has a crack at the edge but that's not unexpected, but overall it looks quite nice, except for a mechanical problem.

Here is the watch in question: on the dial it says "Tyson" but on the back it says "Plato". I feel it's one of those Swiss "jobbers", and cannot yet identify the movement.

When wound, it runs quite well, but when the crown is pulled out it cannot set the time. This makes me suspect that perhaps the 4th wheel is not working or broken, but I cannot locate a replacement part to render it functional again, nor would I consider it a project watch worth sinking significant investment to revive. I would like to hear from my learned members who can offer some insight and suggestions.

Just for the record: a while ago at a collectors fair, a watch dealer from whom I bought some watches had another one just like this but with a black dial.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Re: Tyson/Plato wrist watch

I think the Movement has been re-cased. Or its a Jobber as you suspected.

AS1686

A pretty common movement. You might find a running donor fairly cheaply. Finding one with a case in good condition would be a real bonus.

bidfun-db Archive: Watch Movements: AS 1686
    My new sig -----

Over the years I've collected all sorts of movements and "project" watches ... mainly inexpensive vintage pieces.

These days I've widened my gaze to include modern pieces (including quartz with analog or analog + digital displays) but with those I'm generally looking for models in solid steel cases.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

I think the back should say 'Mike' and not 'Plato'

Quote Originally Posted by trim View Post
    I think the back should say 'Mike' and not 'Plato'
    trim, I was expecting that even before I posted! The attempt to restore this watch might give me a black eye too, but there again I might be too chicken to try it:

The poor condition of the case and the labour needed to get it running again might make it a money pit, which makes me apprehensive. Besides I do not have any attachment to it too.

Hi!

I have recieved a Tyson watch that has swiss made on it from my late grandmother who got the watch i think from her own mother. I am wanting to know how i can find out further information on the Tyson watch. Any info or sites would be so beneficial as ive tried looking online and can't find a thing.

Thanks.

Check the post at the top of the forum called Dating and Identification. The instructions will help.

I've not heard of the brand. But there are many brands I have never heard of. Indeed one of the moderators seems to specialize in collecting them
    "Forever is composed of nows." - Emily Dickinson

"The watch has to be surrounded by a history.
    You need more than just a great design. You need to create an atmosphere around the product.
    Who is the company behind it? Why are they using this material?
    People need to be able to identify the watch with themselves. It's based on emotion." - Ralph Furter

...that's just my opinion and I've been wrong before and will be again and might be now!

He means me.

I regularly buy obscure brands - partly because they go for such so much less than recognised brands but often contain decent movements. Its often impossible to find anything about them. Tyson does not appear to be listed in the usual places such as Mikrolisk - was Feines für die Tasche... - Das Informationsportal rund um die Taschenuhr!

However, this is not unusual as thousands of brands have come and gone in the watch industry leaving little trace. Additionally, watches can be branded by retailers for sale in their shops or by other commercial organisations as promotional gifts. Sorry we can't help.
    Everybody is ignorant, only on different subjects."

Will Rogers (1879 - 1935)

Please don't PM me to ask for a valuation - I won't attempt one.

Tyson_Watch,

It is interesting to hear that a third example of Tyson-branded watches turned up; I do not know your geographic location - or where your grandmother or great-grandmother acquired it, but two out of three found in Sydney may or may not suggest that it was an Australian brand. It would be interesting to see pictures of yours.

The A. Schild movements company (founded by the brother of the man who created Eterna) was a large-scale manufacturer who supplied many watch firms with movements, and they were also used extensively by assemblers who built private label watches. The other AS-powered watch that I have is a private label for the Sydney high-end retailer J. Farren-Price, but apart from the branding, it's as generic as can be, like my Tyson here.

Since my last post in this thread I haven't done much to the watch, except removing the perished rubber gasket which had acquired a delicate shade of green (yikes!) but I certainly do not feel like getting another watch with the same movement - which is likely to be better - as parts source. I would be interested if a fellow members has a parts movement, or the required parts, so that I can get it going again.

EDIT. I got a bit curious and had a bit of a fiddle with it, and found that I can indeed set the time with the crown pulled out in a peculiar way. So I have a suspicion that the problem is with the keyless works; I will get my watchmaker to investigate it further, in due course. Naturally I would still welcome leads on movement parts, stem, etc.
    Last edited by Seele; December 27th, 2011 at 18:59.

We are from New Zealand, we are not sure if nana or her mother got the watch given to her (from Australia maybe?) or where it was bought from unfortunately.
    It is a wind up and still works, we havent had it cleaned or restored in any way it is just the same as when she had it.

It has Tyson, and 17 jewels, INCABLOC, AND Swiss made written on the face. Please refer to photo.

Do you know any what decade it would have been from? The watch has more detailing on the side of the face which is not completely visiable in teh below photo.

Any further info you may know would be greatly appreciated.

Quote Originally Posted by Seele View Post
    Tyson_Watch,

It is interesting to hear that a third example of Tyson-branded watches turned up; I do not know your geographic location - or where your grandmother or great-grandmother acquired it, but two out of three found in Sydney may or may not suggest that it was an Australian brand. It would be interesting to see pictures of yours.

The A. Schild movements company (founded by the brother of the man who created Eterna) was a large-scale manufacturer who supplied many watch firms with movements, and they were also used extensively by assemblers who built private label watches. The other AS-powered watch that I have is a private label for the Sydney high-end retailer J. Farren-Price, but apart from the branding, it's as generic as can be, like my Tyson here.

Since my last post in this thread I haven't done much to the watch, except removing the perished rubber gasket which had acquired a delicate shade of green (yikes!) but I certainly do not feel like getting another watch with the same movement - which is likely to be better - as parts source. I would be interested if a fellow members has a parts movement, or the required parts, so that I can get it going again.

EDIT. I got a bit curious and had a bit of a fiddle with it, and found that I can indeed set the time with the crown pulled out in a peculiar way. So I have a suspicion that the problem is with the keyless works; I will get my watchmaker to investigate it further, in due course.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information