Ukrainian Pocket Watch conversions: was - Please identify this Breguet Pocket Watch
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: Ukrainian Pocket Watch conversions: was - Please identify this Breguet Pocket Watch

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Ukrainian Pocket Watch conversions: was - Please identify this Breguet Pocket Watch

This is a breguet pocket watch that has been converted to a wrist watch That I purchased. The case is new so the original serial is not on it. I am trying to identify a model or something before I take it to Breguet to have them open the watch.Thank You
    Attached Images Attached Images

Last edited by Eeeb; July 13th, 2013 at 17:31.

Re: Please identify this Breguet Pocket Watch

We'd need to see the movement to offer any clear advice, but my money is on the dial being a much more recent creation then the movement. Is the left subdial a hour register or a subsecond dial?
    My growing collection of "affordable" vintages: http://www.abslomrob.com

Why would Breguet help you? This is just another Ukrainian Watch Munging Company creation from what you describe.

It is not a Breguet pocket watch. It is not vintage. It is the carcass of an elephant slaughtered for its ivory and meat... you bought the meat.

However, the species of elephant slaughtered for this watch may not be a Breguet. These Ukrainian Mung Jobs often have doctored movements with recently applied stampings to make them into what seems desirable. The buyers almost never complain. And if they do, all eBay makes them do is refund their money.

Sorry to disappoint but I can not join in the normal joy of folks showing their new watch. This piece makes me sad.

(Ever notice what these sell for after the Ukrainian's collect their money and the owner later tries to sell it? To put it mildly the depreciation is substantial. They are not collectable. They are novelty watches created from pieces that were once collectable.)

Dirty business. Sorry you got caught up in it.
    Last edited by Eeeb; July 12th, 2013 at 05:35.
    "Forever is composed of nows." - Emily Dickinson

"The watch has to be surrounded by a history.
    You need more than just a great design. You need to create an atmosphere around the product.
    Who is the company behind it? Why are they using this material?
    People need to be able to identify the watch with themselves. It's based on emotion." - Ralph Furter

...that's just my opinion and I've been wrong before and will be again and might be now!

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

You 'probably' have (movement pictures will confirm) what was once a fantastic BREGUET monopusher 30 minute counter chronograph pocket watch.

The SS case and dial are now modern 'abortions'

Here in a 'vintage' forum this type of action is deplorable.

I doubt Breguet will touch the watch now.

Regards
    adam
    NEVER ARGUE WITH AN IDIOT. FIRST THEY WILL DRAG YOU DOWN TO THEIR LEVEL. THEN, THEY WILL BEAT YOU WITH EXPERIENCE.

"Failure is not an option" - Gene Kranz
    "Owning a vintage watch is great, understanding where it sits in Horology is magnificent"
    and
    "By Teaching Others, We Teach Ourselves"
    Adam

Quote Originally Posted by Eeeb View Post
    (Ever notice what these sell for after the Ukrainian's collect their money and the owner later tries to sell it? To put it mildly the depreciation is substantial. They are not collectable. They are novelty watches created from pieces that were once collectable.)
    I've noticed that on a few occasions.
    I've saw quite a few Eastern European 'Munge' jobs, offered on UK Ebay from disappointed buyers with concise, truthful and easily understood descriptions
    as compared to the original Ukranian elaborate, history of the brand, all bells and whistles this is a very important watch, type descriptions.
    They seem to achieve about a fifth to a tenth of the price the seller originaly paid.

Most Eastern European conversions tend to be 'honest' though, somewhere in the small print of the epic descriptions,
    it will be mentioned that the watch is a pocket watch conversion and the 'original dial' has been 'expertly restored'
    or some such hyperbole.
    If they say the watch is an Omega, then it usually is, downright fakes tend to be South American in origin.
    The Argentinians have created more 'Breitlings' than Breitling!

If this watch had anything to do with Breguet I'd be amazed.
    Last edited by radger; July 12th, 2013 at 13:00.

It is a subsecond dial. I will take a picture of the movement

Thank You Adam. I do agree that breguet will most likely not touch it. I would like to at least narrow it down to what model watch it is.

The good thing is that the individual offers a 14 day refund. I am curious to learn more about these "Munge" jobs

It was more of a learning about what I purchased and learning from the experience of many in this forum. Thank u for the info.

I suspected as much. The original pocket watch was likely an "open face" or "lepine" model with the standard subsecond at 6 and register at 12; if you do a google image search for "pocket watch chronograph" you'll find any number of pictures like.

The point being that clearly the dial was "created" when the seller had the watch converted to wristwatch. That much was really already obvious by the rather poor job they did. And since the dial is clearly an aftermarket fabrication, the "Breguet" on the dial becomes somewhat worthless; they could have written "Patek" or "Lecoutre" or "Jon's Pocketwatch Conversion Emporium" if they wanted.

Fact is, if it really WAS a Breguet, or really any legitimate, recognizable name, the watch would have been worth more in its original case. That they instead choose to convert it to a wristwatch tells us that it was likely some generic no-name movement.

Which isn't to say it's a bad watch. As conversions go, this one is actually rather tasteful (at least, compared to some of the ones we've seen). If we generously assume that the movement was "rescued" after it's gold case was sold for scrap, then it's a far better fate then it could have had. But it's probably priced based on the false provenance, and thus far above what's it's actually worth. That's the real pity.
    My growing collection of "affordable" vintages: http://www.abslomrob.com

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information