Ultramar 17j

Thread: Ultramar 17j

Ultramar 17j

Help, i need to find out what this watch is ULTRAMAR 17 J AUTOMATIC thanks

Re: Ultramar 17j

The photos are too small to reveal anything other than an automatic. With 17 jewels, it would be an early automatic, probably from the late 40's or early 50's. The brand is unknown to me and probably dates from the time when there were a whole lot of watch companies that encased in Switzerland and sold elsewhere... which would be before the '70s.
    "Forever is composed of nows." - Emily Dickinson

"The watch has to be surrounded by a history.
    You need more than just a great design. You need to create an atmosphere around the product.
    Who is the company behind it? Why are they using this material?
    People need to be able to identify the watch with themselves. It's based on emotion." - Ralph Furter

...that's just my opinion and I've been wrong before and will be again and might be now!

The movement appears to be an ETA 2472 (or similar). This movement came in a 17, 21, and 25 jewel version. The watch probably dates from the late 1950s or, more likely, from the 1960s.

Better pictures of the front & movement would help us to say more.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

sorry for the pics not very good at that i sent it to get the dial restore so when i get it back i will try my best to get better pics of it i did find some info on this watch as it was my dads the ultramar labels is from and old jewelry store in Havana Cuba before Castro they had their own brand stamp on the dials but the movement is swiss must from late 40s or fifty's it looks to be like all brass if thats possible any how i will take better pictures once i get it back thanks again

My father was a Cuban immigrant to the U.S. in the late 40s-early 50s. All my childhood I remember him wearing his sturdy large faced Ultramar magnetic watch. It only keeps time now for about 2 hours or so,so I need to look into getting it fixed. Anyway,what I wanted to tell you was that in researching the watch a week ago, I found that there is an old established jewelry store in the business section of Tampa by the Ultramar name. It may mean nothing,simply that it was named long ago for an area of Cuba,or perhaps it has some connection to the jewelry store in Cuba that put its name on the watch you and I have. Anyway, I could not find an email address for them or website ,so I mailed them a letter yesterday and I await further information. Have you tried them? Let me know if you find some useful information. Thanks. Margarita
    Quote Originally Posted by isfuzz View Post
    Help, i need to find out what this watch is ULTRAMAR 17 J AUTOMATIC thanks

Thread Information