• 1 Post By Hartmut Richter
  • 1 Post By Roland Ranfft

Thread: Ulysse Nardin - Real or Fake

Ulysse Nardin - Real or Fake

Saw this on local classified. I say it's fake

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Zenith Forum Co-moderator

Re: Ulysse Nardin - Real or Fake

Now that one's a little more difficult. The base movement is undoubtedly an ETA 2892 (don't know why the rotor bearing has to be covered by that awful black label with logo) so it's automatically post-1976. It looks rather 1980s or early 1990s, going by the style of the watch. The movement finissage is in line with what you expect from UN and the fact that the movement must have been adapted (calendar module added) is also in line with UN - they used high quality generics at that time and often added features, e.g. the Perpetual calendar "Ludwig" is ETA 2892 based. My gut feeling tells me that that's genuine. Of course, the best confirmation is finding out the exact model.

Hartmut Richter
    Nasir Askar likes this.

Hi there,

in the 80s, the time of the come.back of mechanical watches, there were almost no alternatives to ETA, and if complications were added, modules from Dubois-Depraz or Soprod. I.e. all used the same stuff from the shelf, and accordingly there were no reasonable brand premiums for this sort of watches. So it was simply not worth the effort to fake brands this way, and I don't doubt about authenticy.

Of couse fakes existed also in that time, like ever. But they were equipped with cheap pin levers or sometimes already Chinese movements.

Regards, Roland Ranfft
    Last edited by Roland Ranfft; August 10th, 2015 at 00:19.
    Nasir Askar likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Hartmut Richter View Post
    Now that one's a little more difficult. The base movement is undoubtedly an ETA 2892 (don't know why the rotor bearing has to be covered by that awful black label with logo) so it's automatically post-1976. It looks rather 1980s or early 1990s, going by the style of the watch. The movement finissage is in line with what you expect from UN and the fact that the movement must have been adapted (calendar module added) is also in line with UN - they used high quality generics at that time and often added features, e.g. the Perpetual calendar "Ludwig" is ETA 2892 based. My gut feeling tells me that that's genuine. Of course, the best confirmation is finding out the exact model.

Hartmut Richter
    Mr Hartmut thanks for the informative reply. Yes the watch is genuine and its reference number is 254-24. Also called Ulysee Nardin Acqua 24H. I think it's dial is 37 mm. The strap and buckle are not genuine. I am a bit confused about what it's price should be. The seller is demanding 1800 dollars which I think is not reasonable. The looks of the watch date it back to the 80s but the seller said it was 15 to 20 years old. Perhaps he is as novice as I am.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thread Information