Like Tree18Likes
  • 12 Post By Roland Ranfft
  • 6 Post By Roland Ranfft

Thread: Ulysse Nardin split second back from watchmaker

Ulysse Nardin split second back from watchmaker

Hi out there,

maybe you remember this thread
    https://forums.watchuseek.com/f11/vin...1033585-2.html
    where I posted how a stamped UN logo looks in comparison to cnc milled or etched fake logos:

Now the watch with this logo is back from my watchmaker, and I'll describe was was done. The watch had only one deficit: It did nothing but bringing a remarkable weight on the scale.

Here the movement as it was passed to the watchmaker:

Not that bad. There was serious rust at A and a less serious at B, and obviously wrong spring C which should keep the operating lever for the split second in touch with the according column wheel, but did this only occasionally. Else only the color of the bridges changed between brown and black, not surprising on silvered bridges after about 100 years without professional service.

And actually nothing else was wrong besides old gunk which inhibited almost any motion of anything. This could even be regarded as advantage: If the movement can't move, it also cant wear.

Here the same movement after the watchmaker's treatment:

Under the brown tarnishing a silvery surface with Geneva stripes appeared. The partially deep rust spots were removed, and the strange spring from a dubious junk box was reproduced according to the original.

The outer apperance was not perfect, but needed no real care:

The crown is a bit worn, but as the watch winds easily, I suggested to leave it original. The split second hand was replaced at some point, but the movement job was already pretty expensive, and I didn't want to ask the owner for another EUR 150 to have a matching hand made. The faded sub second scale is a manufacturing deficit. The originally black enamel is completely present, but the black color faded by any dubious reason. One should consider that this was the 25th sample from the first run which started with #160000 in 1912. Likely the dial supplier still had to exercise.

Some highlights of the movement are presented here
    bidfun-db Archive: Watch Movements: Ulysse Nardin 19'''C.C.R. (=Ulysse Nardin 6)
    including a movie about the funny action of the unique patended minute recorder.

Regards, Roland Ranfft

Re: Ulysse Nardin split second back from watchmaker

Beautiful. Thanks for the update.

So the watch is Yours or not, can't understand :)
    Chaos is my focus

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Hi there,

Quote Originally Posted by laikrodukas View Post
    So the watch is Yours or not
    No, it's not mine. I only passed it to my watchmaker, and made photos and some investigations for my movement archive.

My watchmaker resists to take online orders, because he doesn't like the hassle with such transactions. He wants a watch put right on his table, and later picked up from the very same place. But for my bureau organization is no issue. So the watchmaker can screw all day long, and I get new movements into my archive, or sometimes an interesting story for my disaster pages:
    http://www.ranfft.de/uhr/info-problem-e.html

This watch would well match my theme of collecting, but I must admit that I'm too cheap to pay a premium for a brand. I prefer to have two watches of equvalent quality from less famous makers.

Regards, Roland Ranfft
    Last edited by Roland Ranfft; August 8th, 2014 at 13:13.

Thread Information