Unboxing and review ? West End Watch Co Day-Date from eBay seller in India
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: Unboxing and review ? West End Watch Co Day-Date from eBay seller in India

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Unboxing and review – West End Watch Co Day-Date from eBay seller in India

I bought a West End Watch Co Day-Date from whitelotus24in on eBay, who is located in India. Given some of the comments about redialled old rusting watches coming from that part of the world I had some trepidation over what might actually arrive. However, I ordered it because I liked the look of the watch (Day-Date at 6) and pictures of the movement seemed good. The dial was clearly worked on, but looked to be a good restoration / new one. I wasn’t necessarily after true original parts, I wanted a watch that I liked the look of. Oddly, while the dial was new looking, the hands seemed older, this mis-match was concerning, but not enough to put me off bidding. Other people seemed to like this watch too, as the bidding went higher than average for that seller.

The watch arrived 3 weeks after winning the auction, inside the time window clearly specified by the seller.

Small packet, tightly wrapped:

Not the most pleasant description of my new purchase:

Inside the outer wrapping my address appears again, nice touch:

Strong plastic box, Styrofoam balls, well protected:

Finally, first glimpse:

There it is:

The watch is spotlessly clean, no mark on the SS or face and the strap is better than expected (I might actually use this one).

It has quickset for day and date, but it does not hack. I back-hacked it (why do I feel like I am trying to be a heart surgeon when doing that?) to within 1 second of the atomic clock (seemingly my heart surgery skills aren’t good enough to get it spot on first time ).

I didn’t wind it, just wore it. 24 hours later it is -16 seconds. So not bad, but not fantastic, I’ll see if this is stable and perhaps try and regulate it.

Conclusions:

I really like the watch. My only hesitation is the hands, I don’t know why someone would put a new dial on and then use old/original hands that clearly do not match, especially when new / NOS hands are available. I might change those sometime. However, I knew that before buying it so it was not a surprise and despite that I am very pleased with my purchase.
    Last edited by Lumo; September 3rd, 2012 at 01:40.
    Tomcat1960 and cambrid like this.

Zenith Forum Co-moderator

Re: Unboxing and review – West End Watch Co Day-Date from eBay seller in India

Congratulations - looks quite nice and providing you don't mind the redial, probably a good buy if the movement is clean. I suspect that hands are not restored as much as dials because a) they don't suffer as much from age and b) if they have suffered a lot, it is easier to replace them with something looking similar to the originals.

Hartmut Richter

Really nice piece. wear it in good health.

G.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Lumo View Post
    I bought a West End Watch Co Day-Date from whitelotus24in on eBay, who is located in India. Given some of the comments about redialled old rusting watches coming from that part of the world I had some trepidation over what might actually arrive. However, I ordered it because I liked the look of the watch (Day-Date at 6) and pictures of the movement seemed good. The dial was clearly worked on, but looked to be a good restoration / new one. I wasn’t necessarily after true original parts, I wanted a watch that I liked the look of. Oddly, while the dial was new looking, the hands seemed older, this mis-match was concerning, but not enough to put me off bidding. Other people seemed to like this watch too, as the bidding went higher than average for that seller.

The watch arrived 3 weeks after winning the auction, inside the time window clearly specified by the seller.

Small packet, tightly wrapped:

Not the most pleasant description of my new purchase:

Inside the outer wrapping my address appears again, nice touch:

Strong plastic box, Styrofoam balls, well protected:

Finally, first glimpse:

There it is:

The watch is spotlessly clean, no mark on the SS or face and the strap is better than expected (I might actually use this one).

It has quickset for day and date, but it does not hack. I back-hacked it (why do I feel like I am trying to be a heart surgeon when doing that?) to within 1 second of the atomic clock (seemingly my heart surgery skills aren’t good enough to get it spot on first time ).

I didn’t wind it, just wore it. 24 hours later it is -16 seconds. So not bad, but not fantastic, I’ll see if this is stable and perhaps try and regulate it.

Conclusions:

I really like the watch. My only hesitation is the hands, I don’t know why someone would put a new dial on and then use old/original hands that clearly do not match, especially when new / NOS hands are available. I might change those sometime. However, I knew that before buying it so it was not a surprise and despite that I am very pleased with my purchase.
    think you might find that his somewhat throwaway description of the piece was entirely on your behalf to lessen the value should the item be viewed by customs - i would always ask for a package from overseas to be downvalued -think he was doing you a favour !! although nice and crisp as it appears to be not sure how much more one can devalue a west end !

Nice one, indeed!

Like you, I bought one with the same day-date-aperture in the dial just for the looks of it:

Attachment 1018496

I bought it domestic, so no repainted dial which (imho) makes it more authentic. The hands contribute to this as the lume has deteriorated to a wonderful jade-like consistence. I'm particularly fond of this look which I've encountered on West End Watches only so far (And I like the sharp snapping sound when the ETA 2789 switches the day-date at three minutes before midnight.)

Have fun wearing your's!
    After all's been said and done, there's a lot more said than done...

Patina: little pieces of history put on old watches and forgotten there by the maker of time

"Miracles?", he asked. "Forget about miracles. Those who walk on water just know where the stepstones are."

"Luxury watches - you acquire the right to take care of them, but they remain the property of their manufacturers."
    (Roland Ranfft)

Now available for your Kindle or Kindle Reader:

Tracks in a Blizzard - A (German) Christmas Ghost Story

Check me out on Facebook! / Visit us on Facebook! / Visit us in our living room!

Quote Originally Posted by Tomcat1960 View Post
    (And I like the sharp snapping sound when the ETA 2789 switches the day-date at three minutes before midnight.)
    So it´s a later version of the ETA 2789 - the earlier ones switch earlier, one by one, not on spot.
    Really nice those d/d-models, with the round day window.
    Best regards, Mike

I just won an auction on (I believe) the same watch! There are some minor differences, but close enough! Your thread helped convince me to pull the trigger:

Beautiful Vintage West End Automatic Mens Gents Used Old Watch Working Good | eBay
    Lumo likes this.

Mine arrived today, just minutes before I had to leave for the airport to go to Japan. I brought it along with me. It looks better in person than it did in the eBay photos!

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk
    Lumo likes this.

Yes, very similar overall, slightly different hands and case. I have now actually changed the hands on mine so the lume matches the dial. How do you find yours?

Quote Originally Posted by Lumo View Post
    Yes, very similar overall, slightly different hands and case. I have now actually changed the hands on mine so the lume matches the dial. How do you find yours?
    Not sure if you're asking about the lume, my overall impression of the watch, or where I got it, so I'll answer all three :)

The lume can get VERY bright, but after a few minutes fades to a much more subdued intensity, and lasts for a couple hours with enough glow to see in the dark. It's a very readable watch.
    I love the dial, something about the font just seems perfect to me. The watch is running fast, perhaps about 2min fast per day, but seems to be consistent enough that I'm hoping I can regulate it down a bit.
    I found it on eBay, the link is a few posts up.
    Thanks for inspiring me to get this, I am extremely pleased with what less than $60 was able to get me!

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk
    Last edited by hhspunter; March 1st, 2014 at 08:21.
    fatehbajwa and Lumo like this.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information