Unidentified 1950s 35mm Eska
Like Tree39Likes

Thread: Unidentified 1950s 35mm Eska

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Unidentified 1950s 35mm Eska

Hello folks! New forum member here. Member of Redbar in ATX.

I'm looking for information on this particular Eska model. Here's the info I have so far.

- Eska stainless steel wristwatch Circa 1950's
    - All steel 3 piece unpolished case with original dial
    - Swiss fully jewelled movement ETA caliber 1061
    - Case number 5313962.
    - Case signed by associated company doxa.
    Name:  Screen Shot 2019-06-08 at 8.39.01 AM.png
Views: 72
Size:  1.07 MB
    Does anyone know more about this particular model? Does the case number identify this model as ref. 5313962?
    Name:  fullsizeoutput_25a8.jpeg
Views: 80
Size:  878.6 KB

Here's the info I have about Eska from the Dan Henry Timeline, "Eska is one of the smallest watch brands. After the end of World War I many watch manufacturers appeared in Europe and Sylvan Kocher & Cie. was of them. The name Eska is the phonetic spelling in French of the letter s and k (es-ka). The wristwatches of the brand included manual and automatic models, besides models with full calendars and digital time displays.
    parrotandpitbull likes this.

Re: Unidentified 1950s 35mm Eska

Moved to a more appropriate forum.

Hi,

You pretty much have it all :)
    Chaos is my focus

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

First of all..."case signed by associated company Doxa?" Wut? Doxa didn't make their own cases. It would make completely no sense for them to be supplying another company with a case that they've already bought in from someone else... An Eska from the 1940s-early 1950s should be marked "S.Kocher & Co. Swiss", and here, we don't have that. We have a Doxa stamp, and a Doxa serial for 1953.

Needless to say that this dial/hands design doesn't exactly scream 1953...

My take on the matter is that it's an "orphaned" Eska movement-dial combo, the case of which has been scrapped for gold, transplanted into a Doxa case with matching dimensions. Given that Doxas came in an astounding variety of sizes and with a number of generic movements, finding a matching case among them wouldn't exactly be hard.

If someone has any documentation of any "association" between Eska and Doxa, it would be most useful.

Unless there is any evidence that Eska actually used Doxa cases with Doxa markings and Doxa serials, this one's a franken. Pretty, but a franken.
    I have great faith in fools; self-confidence my friends call it.
    Edgar Allan Poe

If liberty means anything at all, it means the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.
    George Orwell

(...)but that's what mankind is like: they only prize what they no longer possess.
    Erich Maria Remarque

For any inquiries regarding vintage Doxa watches, please read the highlighted text in my vintage Doxa thread. Sorry, but I will not respond to PMs on the matter.

Never heard of such an "association".
    winstawatches likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by bubba48 View Post
    Never heard of such an "association".
    Neither did I. But I know who conjured it up in order to sell this frankenwatch - a shop called Antique Watch of 19 Clerkenwell Road, Farringdon, London.

See, I did a little digging...and found this:
    https://www.yelp.co.uk/biz_photos/an...watch-london-2

...which led to this...
    https://www.yelp.co.uk/biz/antique-watch-london-2

...and that, in turn, to a recent customer review:
    https://www.yelp.co.uk/user_details?...oRJGYkgOrSiArQ

As the review goes...
    My wife and I had an overwhelmingly positive experience with Antique Watch Co.

Both employees present took the time to show us multiple watches, expensive and affordable, and answer my many questions about the watches and general watch-nerd shop-talk. I was most drawn to an affordable (under $500) vintage watch, the Eska shown in the photo attached. We didn't buy it at on the spot. Instead, my wife coordinated with the shop owners to buy it after store hours so that she could surprise me. The employees went above and beyond in the time they spent answering my very detail-oriented questions about the watch and coordinating with my wife with the after-hours pickup and surprise gift.

I was very impressed with the authentication papers and care instructions they provided with the watch as well as the complimentary strap and travel case. This is my first vintage watch and the experience with Antique Watch Co. has enriched my enjoyment of the watch so far.

I live in Austin, TX but if I ever find myself in London again, I'll definitely make a point to drop by again to see what goodies they have in store.
    So... I'm very sorry, Winston, but whatever "authentication papers" you've been presented with, are full of lies. Pre-1966 Doxa records are gone. Eska largely stopped making watches in 1980, went from watchmaking to other ventures, and what was left of it went belly up by 1987. There are no archives either of Eska or Doxa, and thus there's no documentation to prove any "cooperation."

If you'll be in London again, I wouldn't suggest revisiting 19 Clerkenwell Road. Of course they went above and beyond, they must have been awfully pleased to find such an excited buyer for a frankenwatch that either they have been duped into (or never cared for its authenticity in the first place), or worse, which they have cobbled together themselves.

I always play a little game of checking other offerings of a seller, in order to check how clueless or full of sh...yyy....feces are they. And here, let's look... Of course, they claim "100% authentic brands and products." Lies.
    Like in the case of this "all authentic" Omega...
    https://www.antiquewatchcoltd.com/pr...uctdetails/534
    ...which happens to be a redial, with an awful relume job.
    None of the above issues mentioned.
    Oh, and priced at 1500 quid. By how they fleeceth their client, thou shalt know the fleecer.

Sorry to be the bringer of bad news about the watch.

And the moral of the story is: when you go hunting for watches, know your watches, else - in very colloquial terms - any crook will catch you with your pants down. And if you don't know your watches, just ask if you can take photos, and then, well...Let's say that by asking in this forum, you've asked for info in the right place. Only since you did so after you've bought this lemon, you've asked at the wrong time.
    I have great faith in fools; self-confidence my friends call it.
    Edgar Allan Poe

If liberty means anything at all, it means the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.
    George Orwell

(...)but that's what mankind is like: they only prize what they no longer possess.
    Erich Maria Remarque

For any inquiries regarding vintage Doxa watches, please read the highlighted text in my vintage Doxa thread. Sorry, but I will not respond to PMs on the matter.

Winston, it's such a pity you didn't post a photo to this forum before you've made the purchase. When you get a chance have a read of this thread here about "marriage watch":
    https://forums.watchuseek.com/f11/ma...s-2049762.html
    winstawatches likes this.

I'm wondering if the mid-case isn't newly fabricated. The case-back has been polished to the extent that one of the numbers is almost erased, but the lugs are absolutely unpolished and sharp.
    -- Dan (formerly known as @badbackdan)
    ------- @oldwatchdan on Instagram -------

Gents, thank you.

To be honest, I'm not sure what to think. I've heard from a few other collectors in Redbar that there was a connection between Doxa and Eska, but I haven't seen any proof of this. As it's probably painfully clear, I'm pretty new to watch collecting.

I'm kicking myself now for erasing a very uncomfortable response I received from the owner of the said shop above. I asked him a total of 3 questions ... that's 3 ... not 30 ... after purchasing the watch after which he went on a text-message tirade about how I was wasting his time, that I was acting "weird" and "strange," to try and enjoy the watch, or to just send it back to him. I was astonished but figured maybe I had wasted his time and apologized. If I get any more clarity on whether this is a frankenwatch, and was duped, I will absolutely send it back to him after I amend my Yelp review until he processes the refund.

Name:  Screen Shot 2019-06-08 at 11.10.01 PM.jpg
Views: 54
Size:  199.1 KB

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread Information