Unidentified purchase Huguenin chronometer
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: Unidentified purchase Huguenin chronometer

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Unidentified purchase Huguenin chronometer

Does anyone have any idea what I just bought?
    Found it in a local antique shop in New Hampshire and now can't find any reference for this model.
    Logo is so similar to Hamilton so I thought it was one just some strange model variation.
    If anyone can offer some insight to it I would really appreciate.
    Attached Images Attached Images

esdy_11192 and laikrodukas like this.

Re: Unidentified purchase Huguenin chronometer

Hi Lenny,

Huguenin Hamilton Watch Co. Lancaster (PA), USA; registriert 1963

quick survey of the Hamilton catalogs reveals the stylized "H" was first used as a company logo in 1956. It soon made it to the watch dials circa 1960. In March 1959 Hamilton purchased the A. Huguenin Fils watch company of Bienne, Switzerland. Don Sauers notes in his "Time for America" that Huguenin "was founded in 1857 by Jules-Frederic Huguenin, and was the business of a family which, from the earliest days of the nineteenth century, was one of the pioneers among watchmakers in the mountains of Neuchatel. The plant purchased by Hamilton had been built in 1952 and enlarged in 1955. It stood on the site of the original factory in Bienne" (p. 167).
    Hamilton's take-over of Huguenin was motivated by a desire to increase their presence in the high end watch market. They put Henry Huguenin, a descendant of the founder, in charge of their operations in Bienne. "After the acquisition by Hamilton, Huguenin manufactured watches for the world market under the Hamilton name as well as continuing to make and market top-quality, high ticket watches under the name Huguenin," explains Sauers. He further notes, "Hoping to cash in on their association with Huguenin, Hamilton was careful to point out their connection in Huguenin advertising. A line in the closing paragraph of a typical ad read, 'All Huguenins are endowed with the rich heritage of two pioneer watchmaking firms: A. Huguenin Fils of Bienne, Switzerland, and the Hamilton Watch Company of Lancaster, Pa.'"

http://www.vintagewatchforums.com/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=4677

Regards,

So this is high end Hamilton? Or it is still proprietary Huguenin? Also what 300 on the case back stands for? Water resistance dept? That would put it in line with today's Omega's :).
    Why can't I find anything related to model mumber on case back. By the way this watch constructed it feels on par with Gubelin IPSO watches I own.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Looks like a Hamilton Estoril model.

Quote Originally Posted by FreddyNorton View Post
    Looks like a Hamilton Estoril model.
    You absolutely right, case back certainly looks like Estoril. I need to open case when I get back home. Don't have any tools with me at the moment. I wonder just because this watch branded by Huguenin and not by Hamilton does it make it more rare?

Very cool!

I'd say clearly a hamilton but with a rare dial variation. Given that it is a chronometer, please post some photos of the movement when you have a chance.

great buy!
    Chaos is my focus

Quote Originally Posted by lennyt11421 View Post
    You absolutely right, case back certainly looks like Estoril. I need to open case when I get back home. Don't have any tools with me at the moment. I wonder just because this watch branded by Huguenin and not by Hamilton does it make it more rare?
    It seems quite likely that the HUGUENIN branding is less common than HAMILTON ... for what it's worth. However, I think the chronometer aspect is actually much more interesting, so it would be great to verify that with movement photos.
    -- Dan (formerly known as @badbackdan)
    ------- @oldwatchdan on Instagram -------

Quote Originally Posted by badbackdan View Post
    It seems quite likely that the HUGUENIN branding is less common than HAMILTON ... for what it's worth. However, I think the chronometer aspect is actually much more interesting, so it would be great to verify that with movement photos.
    Here is the movement and case back pictures.
    Let me know what you think.

Name:  20180101_210832_HDR.jpg
Views: 150
Size:  406.5 KB

Name:  20180101_210819_HDR.jpg
Views: 149
Size:  426.1 KB

Name:  20180101_210845_HDR.jpg
Views: 148
Size:  244.5 KB

Interesting piece, it has all the look of an Estoril 300, but I've not seen this model without a calendar before.
    The Hamilton marked pieces usually were supplied with a Hamilton marked 64a 21j or 694a, 17j movement.
    If memory serves, weren't the Hamilton versions in Epsa compressor cases? When I get home later, I'll have to
    check one of mine.
    Perhaps a transitional piece after the Hamilton acquisition of Huguenin?
    " I like Chiken farming and old clock " --- Anon

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information