United States Watch Company, Marion, NJ
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Ben_hutcherson

Thread: United States Watch Company, Marion, NJ

Vintage & NAWCC Forum moderator Ben_hutcherson's Avatar

United States Watch Company, Marion, NJ

Is anyone else on here enamored with this company?

They are probably best known for the "butterfly cutout" over the escapement on their 18 size full plate watches, but also made 18 size 3/4 plates, 16 size quarter plates, 14 size 3/4 plates, and 10 size 3/4 plates. Although most of the commonly seen ones are of modest quality, they made high grade watches. The "United States Watch Company" grade was the most expensive in America at the time. They also are notable for being the first American maker to build stemwind watches, as well as one of the first to offer nickel damaskeen.

I consider myself a very minor collector of them. I have examples of all of the most common grades(Reed, Rollo, Channing, Deacon, Fuller) in full plate, as well as a 3/4 plate Reed. I also have a nickel example, and a couple of stemwinds. Unfortunately, I lack original cases for the stemwinds and the 3/4 plate. I'm still looking for the grades I don't have(a lot of them!), and for original cases.

Does anyone else here collect these?
    Member National Association of Watch and Clock Collectors
    Member, NAWCC Chapter 149. Vice President and Secretary NAWCC Chapter 140. Member, NAWCC Convention Committee.
    Serious collector of American pocket watches-Waltham(and the predecessor companies) is my specialty.

Vintage & NAWCC Forum moderator Ben_hutcherson's Avatar

Re: United States Watch Company, Marion, NJ

No love for this company?

Maybe a picture or two would help

Edwin Rollo 15j Gilt

George Channing 11j stemwind/button set nickel
    eri231 likes this.
    Member National Association of Watch and Clock Collectors
    Member, NAWCC Chapter 149. Vice President and Secretary NAWCC Chapter 140. Member, NAWCC Convention Committee.
    Serious collector of American pocket watches-Waltham(and the predecessor companies) is my specialty.

Lovely. I can't say that I have ever heard of the company. Of course, I am a wristwatch collector so probably no surprise. Hopefully there are others around, I always like to learn new things...

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Like Paleotime, Ben ... I had never heard of the company....but I'm a little bit new at this.

Got the mother load of Waltham 18s movements and parts today, Ben if you need anything. I am going to take a few pictures once I get it a little more organized. Must be 3 dozen disassembled movements. ... plus some "half ass-embled" ones. I have spent several hours trying (with some success) to match serial numbers on plates and balance bridges. I'm going to see numbers in my sleep tonight.

JDT

I started out collecting pocket watch when I first started collecting watches.My interest have went in a different direction into vintage military and vintage diver watches.But I still have the pocket watches in the collection just don't add any more to it.Here is photo's of the one in the collection.

Last edited by river rat; February 3rd, 2012 at 05:49.

Ben,

Just ran across this old thread. I only own 1-2 of these watches, but find them fascinating. I particularly like the nickel United States Watch Company Grades.

Thread Information