Universal Geneva 28 jewel pocket watch
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: Universal Geneva 28 jewel pocket watch

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Universal Geneva 28 jewel pocket watch

This site was a big help to me last time. This time I recently purchased a stainless steel pocket watch by Universal Geneve it is market Automatic Microtor on the face and "Universal Geneve Swiss 215 Microtor" 28 Twenty-eight jewels on the movement. I found out about a similar wrist watch, but can find no mention on the internet about a pocket watch.
    The movement is 28 mm. The face somewhat larger.

Last edited by labarbe; October 11th, 2008 at 01:30.
    busmatt likes this.

Re: Universal Geneva 28 jewel pocket watch

I've never seen one either. The movement must be the same as used in the wristwatches - Polerouters. See:

http://www.ranfft.de/cgi-bin/bidfun-...&Universal_215
    Everybody is ignorant, only on different subjects."

Will Rogers (1879 - 1935)

Please don't PM me to ask for a valuation - I won't attempt one.

Thanks Marrick for the reference. It does seem odd to me to have an automatic pocket watch though. Would it get enough movement sitting in a vest pocket to keep up its power reserve?

There are fathers who do not love their children; there is no grandfather who does not adore his grandson. ~ Victor Hugo

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Ray MacDonald View Post
    Thanks Marrick for the reference. It does seem odd to me to have an automatic pocket watch though. Would it get enough movement sitting in a vest pocket to keep up its power reserve?
    Good point... maybe that is why they are so rare!
    "Forever is composed of nows." - Emily Dickinson

"The watch has to be surrounded by a history.
    You need more than just a great design. You need to create an atmosphere around the product.
    Who is the company behind it? Why are they using this material?
    People need to be able to identify the watch with themselves. It's based on emotion." - Ralph Furter

...that's just my opinion and I've been wrong before and will be again and might be now!

Quote Originally Posted by Ray MacDonald View Post
    It does seem odd to me to have an automatic pocket watch though. Would it get enough movement sitting in a vest pocket to keep up its power reserve?
    I have for around a year already a 1950s Eterna-matic Golfer. Only once it failed to keep its power, when I did not wear it for a while weekend for being sick. It is rated at 47 h reserve.

Envoyé de mon XT1580 en utilisant Tapatalk
    busmatt likes this.

As Leandro said the most popular is the etherna golfer and I haven't seen a Universal Geneve with this feature before. In fact experiments with automatic winder in pocket watche occasional are done over mainy years in different aeras. The first was Abraham-Louis Perrelet 1770, annother bigger serie was buid in the end of the 19Th century by Loehr and with modern wrist watch movements by etherna and as we see Universal Geneve. But under the line in a pocket watch a automatic winder can't work efficient.

Regards Silke
    Shum likes this.
    That's what I think about today:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vlUGeY7MWVo

Zenith Forum Co-moderator

In particular, a microrotor would not be as efficient (Dr. Ranfft once described the microrotor as a ladies' movement squashed to the size of a gents' movement or something like that).

Hartmut Richter

Quote Originally Posted by SilkeN View Post
    But under the line in a pocket watch a automatic winder can't work efficient.
    This makes no sense. The efficiency of a watch does not depend on being swung in a wrist. What does change is how long it will take for it to wind. Early experiments had watches fully winded in pockets after fifteen minute walks. It boggles the mind to think of a healthy person who does not get that much walking time per day — and that was before the Eterna-matic rotor bearings and the rotating office chairs on wheels.

Envoyé de mon SM-P905M en utilisant Tapatalk

HI leondro , do you've link to these tests. Personal I just know what a friend told me who is crazy collecting these Loehr pendules (https://watch-wiki.org/index.php?tit..._Patent_03.jpg). His experience differ to these tests but these watches are more than 100 years old with a pendule weight. It would be interesting to see how the modern rotors movements works in a pocket.

Regards Silke

Addition: Another funny aspect ...pocket watches with automatic winding addition are earlier developed than a crown winding system to replace the keywinder. But they don't conquer the market and pw out of the earlier aera are very rare and expensive peaces.

Addition II : Funny I found the link and it was about very very old watches

Google-Ergebnis für http://www.datacomm.ch/rbu/per-aut1.jpg

Any ideas why they don't conquer the market ...it could not be the price.
    Last edited by SilkeN; February 21st, 2016 at 02:18.
    That's what I think about today:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vlUGeY7MWVo

Something went wrong with the first image.

I guess wristwatches were just more practical and fashionable, specially once one did not have to take them off for winding.

Perhaps there was also a coincidence between fashion and technological development.

Envoyé de mon XT1580 en utilisant Tapatalk

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information